Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver, Silver Silver and a Buff Again!

Old coin hunter

Went back to the lawn i hunted the first of this month and worked about half of it again. This spring i detected it North to South and the last time there, when i found the 3 Silvers and the Buff, i detected half of it West to East, so yesterday i thought i'd try East to West on the section i found the last ones in when i detected it West to East. I was so surprised to find what i did as you wouldn't think that there would be that much difference as i'd already gridded it the standard way of North South then West East. I still have half the lawn to do but that area has the worst EMI so we'll see what happens. As it stands now,i might even go around in circles after i finish it up LOL. Here's what i found in two hours of slow detecting; 1 Dime, 1 Nickle, 2 Zincs, 5 Wheats, 2 Silver Nickles, 1 Buff and 1 Merc. I used the same settings as last time on my Simplex+. HH Jim

Attachments

• 8-23-2021 Silvers and Buff uncleaned.jpg
    8-23-2021 Silvers and Buff uncleaned.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 8-23-2021 Silvers and Buff Cleaned.jpg
    8-23-2021 Silvers and Buff Cleaned.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 99
Nice finds!!
I have a small yard I have been to about 5 times now.
The last time I was there, I found about 15 more coins…it is amazing that we can go over a site multiple times and yet, we still find something.
Nice date on that Buffalo nickel… just curious… did those war nickels give a typical nickel reading?

Good hunt! Tell me about nickels on your Simplex. Id, tone, etc. They sound like S**t on mine. Nice silver hunt. HH jim tn

Interesting finds and observations. Do you think the EMI is from electric lines or Wi-Fi I am leaning toward the later. Always wondered if you could turn of a router to stop it.
HH Jeff

Nice recoveries Jim. 👍
Would love to get out a do some hunting but, the heat along with dirt that’s like concrete just isn’t for me anymore.
Cant wait till fall though.

Good hunt! Tell me about nickels on your Simplex. Id, tone, etc. They sound like S**t on mine. Nice silver hunt. HH jim tn
Yea Jim, the silver ones are the same on my Simplex especially when they have a lot of corrosion. Regular nickels have a mid tone and 25-30 vid with the SP 24 coil.HH Jim.

Good findings. Congratulations!!
It is always advisable to look at different angles, as the coins are not always "flat" on the ground. Some may be angled or in profile and are more difficult to detect.
Try to bury coins at different angles and you will see how they sound differently. There was a very good article, a few years ago, but I don't remember what forum it was in ...
When I find a good place, I draw a grid and search through the passes. North South. East-west (so to speak)
Some power poles, when poorly insulated or broken wires, can cause EMI. Some detectors are more sensitive than others.
Greetings

Good findings. Congratulations!!
It is always advisable to look at different angles, as the coins are not always "flat" on the ground. Some may be angled or in profile and are more difficult to detect.
Try to bury coins at different angles and you will see how they sound differently. There was a very good article, a few years ago, but I don't remember what forum it was in ...
When I find a good place, I draw a grid and search through the passes. North South. East-west (so to speak)
Some power poles, when poorly insulated or broken wires, can cause EMI. Some detectors are more sensitive than others.
Greetings
I always grid.

Im learning gridding is a lot more effective than wandering. I sometimes feel like one has to run so the other guy doesnt get there first. It also helps to have a buddy with a totally different detector work the same area, its amazing what the F75 and the Nox 800 both can miss. But, slowing down and covering the ground is proving to be better than first one over the finish line!! Love how the coins cleaned up!!!

Im learning gridding is a lot more effective than wandering. I sometimes feel like one has to run so the other guy doesnt get there first. It also helps to have a buddy with a totally different detector work the same area, its amazing what the F75 and the Nox 800 both can miss. But, slowing down and covering the ground is proving to be better than first one over the finish line!! Love how the coins cleaned up!!!
Yup, seems like you're not covering any ground but you have better odds of finding stuff in my opinion.

Nice finds!!
I have a small yard I have been to about 5 times now.
The last time I was there, I found about 15 more coins…it is amazing that we can go over a site multiple times and yet, we still find something.
Nice date on that Buffalo nickel… just curious… did those war nickels give a typical nickel reading?
Nope, the vdi was jumping around but every once in awhile I'd get a decent tone.

Nope, the vdi was jumping around but every once in awhile I'd get a decent tone.
I have found quite a few of them and some read just like a jefferson nickel while other read higher... sometimes in the penny range.
I have found them with that black coating on them too.
I found one that looked like it had tar on it.
Others I could tell they were war nickels right out the ground.

Nice saves every spot I hit I take my time adjust my detector and go slow..