Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Sound

amustel

Hi. I have a question about what is supposed to be the "silver sound". Or am I mistaken? Being using the explorer XS for about two weeks but no silver found yet, but doing airtest I got exactly the same sound (high pitch), the same crosshair position and the same ID for a clad quarter thann for a silver quarter. Is this supposed to be this way? Thanks!

amustel
the clad quarter and silver quarter on the curser or digital is not much difference, on curser mode silver will move a bit higher up in the right hand corner and digital the numbers will not be that noticeable 00-28 to 00-29 clad quarter will hit 00-28 but once in awhile it will hit 00-29. where you will be able to tell the difference is with experience soon you will be able to tell the sound of silver from clad because it has just a little higher pitch than clad. even airtesting you can hear the difference of clad from silver. hope this helps

I've not noticed much by way of a difference in sound between silver and clad, but I dig ALL dime and quarter signals no matter where they land on my meter. What tells me of the possibility of silver is depth. I've been surprised on both though - clad dime/quarter at 6 inches or so and silver dime/quarter at 1 inch or less. What gets me is the dime signal on top that turns out to be a memorial penny - I hate surface pennies and usually pass them by. I leave them for the Whites/Garrett guys that seem to love their piles of clad :)

....I don't pass up any quarter hits, so similarities between silver/clad quarters is a mute point for me. Many large silver rings will register/sound very similar to quarters. I think it is worth it to dig any quarter signals. Those quarters really add up over time. Back in '07, I found close to $1000 in quarters that year....yeah, I was detecting quite a bit. I usually ignored the shallower penny/dime signals, but always dug the quarters.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

I dig everything, of course...hoping to find that silver. However, I hear exactly the same pitch airtesting with a clad quarter or with a silver, 1928 one. Maybe older than 1928 quarters sound different but I don't have one. I did not ask this question because I don't want to dig clad, of course I dig them! What confuses me is that I am always reading about that magical "silver sound" that I can't hear. I can differentiate pretty well between the sound produced by a penny vs. a dime, and between a clad dime and a silver dime and silver dime vs. clad/silver quarter (silver dime is lower pitch) but when it is a clad quarter, silver quarter, half quarter or silver dollar, sound is exactly the same high pitch. Unless it is my hearing... :(

Thanks!

metal detectors work via electrical conductivity through the metal of the coin/object. coins "complete" the circuit so to speak. Most detectors just beep with one sound as the circuit is completed, but as the detectors get fancier/more high tech then frequencies/more frequencies can have sounds attached to the conductivity of certain metals as well as digital numbers assigned to them also. spread the spectrum out a bit more and the sounds can be more distinct, but for the most part clad and silver are going to very, very close in sound. Some people, knowing their detector, can determine, by sound, the difference between clad and silver, the difference between regular silver and "thin, worn smooth" dimes, etc. Me - I sometimes can determine that "round sound" some have talked about, but I don't pay enough attention to distinct between silver and clad and just dig all dime and quarter hits no matter where they fall on my meter. Now,I can walk through a field of pull tabs and distinguish a "coin" hit.

I like setting my Variability & Limits controls at the max (10) to allow the machine to give the highest/widest tones for all signals in the ground. That will allow you to hear subtle differences, but even at the max settings, you will not be able to tell 100% of the time differences between clad and silver quarters. Even the deep clad dimes and later copper/wheat pennies will give "silvery" sounds that alert you to "dig". And very worn silver dimes (barbers, etc.) will sometimes sound like a penny. You just never know.....you gotta go for the deeper, higher toned signals (greater than halfway down on the sensitivity meter). At the parks I detect, if I spent my time digging shallow penny/dime targets, I would definitely have less old coins at the end of the day. I've dug over a thousand silver coins in the past couple of years, and let me tell you that I was surprised many, many times to see a silver coin in the bottom of my plug. And the opposite holds true too....many times I thought I had a silver coin target, only to find out it was a deep memorial penny or clad dime. So if you dig all those high tones, shallow or deep, you will have higher confidence, but not 100%, later on when telling if you have a silver coin under your coil.

Good Luck!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

For what its worth. If I remember correctly, before clad coinage was forced on the American public, there was much testing on the electrical properties of the new coinage to make it comparable to the silver coins they were to replace. This was done for the vending industry. So it is quite possible there is little or no difference when the coins register on VDI's

I have yet to find silver with my SE either. I have had it now almost 2 weeks. I keep thinking I need to get out some silver coins and air test and listen to see if I can hear a difference with silver.

I agree, depth plays a big part in a silva signal. I had a sweet ballfield that I hunted for a year pulling 25 or so silver coins averaging about 8" in depth. I also dug about 60 wheats from there as they produced signals almost identical to the silver. I have never used the digital numbers display, watching the crosshairs only. Even tho I dug Barber, SLQ, and silver washington quarters, 90% of the silver hits were dimes, I assume the large silvers were cherry picked long ago!

amc

MINELABMIKE said:
amustel
the clad quarter and silver quarter on the curser or digital is not much difference, on curser mode silver will move a bit higher up in the right hand corner and digital the numbers will not be that noticeable 00-28 to 00-29 clad quarter will hit 00-28 but once in awhile it will hit 00-29. where you will be able to tell the difference is with experience soon you will be able to tell the sound of silver from clad because it has just a little higher pitch than clad. even airtesting you can hear the difference of clad from silver. hope this helps

Minelabmike, that is exactly the reason I asked, since I can't hear a difference between a clad quarter and a silver quarter, when air testing. I don't know barbers and other older coins, but my air test was with an standing 1928 quarter and a clad quarter. No difference in pitch, in crosshair position or in Digital (2:geek:.

Thanks

Seems like I find nothing BUT silver dimes with my SE. Oh I dig a wheatie now and then but it seems to me it is a silver dime magnet.

kozyman said:
Seems like I find nothing BUT silver dimes with my SE. Oh I dig a wheatie now and then but it seems to me it is a silver dime magnet.

Must be broken! Send it to Minelab! :bouncy:

Im with Dan.... keep the settings at 10 on variability and you might play with you THRESHOLD TONE to suit your hearing on deeper coins. Silver dimes are distinct at depth, as are wheats and IHs for me.... and like Dan said who isnt going to dig a quarter no matter what the depth??? Its just good business LOL. At least in Cond i can tell them apart pretty easily... switch to Ferr where it only sounds like you are getting 4 tones. Anytime you flip the scale you notice the dectector produces different targets. For me in a field i switch to Ferr... because its H O T on copper, brass, and IHs. There just isnt much of a way but learning the sound of iron in the SOUNDS you have chosen. Its not the Iron... but the RUST that bounces that high tone. You still get it even in Ferr..... it sounds much like hot rocks. Its always funny when i read these posts because people still are looking for a reason NOT TO DIG. Man i love putting my heavy detector down especially in a field and digging a hole. I dont want to be certain about every target..... thats the fun of this hobby.

Dew