Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Spoon

tnvarmint

My oldest son and I went out this afternoon for a few hours of metal detecting. He hadn't been with me for several months. He was more busy with running around with his friends during the summer break as most 17 year olds do. So we hit a few different spots, one of which was a long sidewalk strip. We weren't finding much until my son came up from behind me saying "Dad check this out!" As soon as I turned around I saw the spoon and from the color knew he had a silver spoon. We didn't find much of anything else besides a wheat penny pocket spill. There were a 1941 and 1944 and then two rusty and metallic pennies. Can't make anything out on them but I am figuring they are steel pennies since they all 4 came from the same hole.

I did a little research on the spoon once I got home and this is what I found. It has a flying pennant with an H in it followed by Sterling on the back. The maker mark is that of Mechanics Sterling Co, a subsidiary of Watson & Newell Co. of Attleboro, MA. They started in 1896 and the spoon seems to be from the 1900 - 1920s.

This was my sons first non clad find and is a great find, especially being is first silver anything. I am proud to say that my ETrac got spanked by a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 in this case. I am one PROUD Papa today. I have been waiting all this time for my son to find something good and boy did he knock it out of the park on this one.

Just got to love the silver spoons. I was hunting an old foundation at a cranberry bog and got this spoon. It's marked Lunt Sterling and the pattern is Sweetheart Rose from 1951. I never cleaned it, just left it the way it came out of the ground. Funny how the sweetheart rose stands out from the rest of the patina. Any day you get sterling is a good day.

Great story and really cool how proud you are of your son. What an awesome hobby! Thanks for the picture.

NebTrac

Cootie said:
Just got to love the silver spoons. I was hunting an old foundation at a cranberry bog and got this spoon. It's marked Lunt Sterling and the pattern is Sweetheart Rose from 1951. I never cleaned it, just left it the way it came out of the ground. Funny how the sweetheart rose stands out from the rest of the patina. Any day you get sterling is a good day.

gezz dude don't post your spoon right over the guys post about hunting with his kid.

CT Todd said:
Cootie said:

gezz dude don't post your spoon right over the guys post about hunting with his kid.
Yes I agree! No thread hi jackers.....

Tnvarmit great find! Congrats

Great find and a very great story! Patience is virtue so I have been told. You probably will have a hard time wiping that proud smile off your face. So just keep it there , you deserve it!! Thanks for sharing your story with us :detecting:

cool spoons you guys....all shiny spoons i have ever found have been stainless steel....:veryangry:

tn, ill bet your son will now have a lifetime hobby interest for sure, because that what me and my Dad used to do too.

You guys especially him will remember that day forever! He will be telling his kids about you guys and your hunt some day! Good memories there!! :twodetecting: