Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Simple test....

CO_T\Huntr

Here's a little test I saw on Youtube so I had to try it, turns out my Sweet lil Silver won't touch the coin and I tried quarter, nickel and dime, then kept moving the nails out till the coin hit, pretty much had to go out to the diameter of my coil to hit the coin, tells me alot about those trashy areas.
On the other hand the Vaquero with the stock coil hit every coin with the nails a little closer than the pic shows, very interesting.....

Would someone with the Owtlaw and Tejon try this and let me know how it goes maybe even a Cibola, I'm really curious
as to what might be the difference in machines...

This is gonna get interesting. When I rest up some and get a spare moment I'll be doing that test on bunch of Tesoros.:)

tabman

more than likely it is more of a concentric coil type effect that is typical of that style coil. DD slices thin like a butter knife with more coverage at depth and would typicaly do better on your nail test. Raise your concentric coil higher and the point will probably "not see" the nails (if centered right on coin) due to smaller detection range, or point, at depth. I'm sure you understand how these two styles differ....if not, ask

This is a link to a similar test which has interesting results and raises some questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FFAYBPfJ-s

I had hoped you would come through Tabman.....

And oneguy I do rea;ize the difference in field shape between the two different
types of coils, and raised the silver w/8" hoping for what you suggested but to no avail
I tried All metal, low disc, high disc everything I could think of as I wanted it to hit
pretty badly.
What got me wondering was when the Vaq with the stock 8x9 Concentric hit solid
on the first swing, and went on to hit the nickel and dime like the nails weren't even
there. What did it have that my Silver didn't....
The frequency is different 10.6/14.5 and the disc circutry is different too 120/180
By checking other machines with 120 disc and higher freq maybe it will tell me
something...
This is a critical component to seeing through the iron and now I know my silver umax
won't.. I would love to know if a DD on it would work...

And a DD would hit one way and probably get blanked on a perpendicular swing I'm guessing...

I believe the two nail test coin is going to be harder to detect than the test with a coin under a book with a nail centered on top.

tabman

CO_T\Huntr said:
And a DD would hit one way and probably get blanked on a perpendicular swing I'm guessing...
I would think the same if lots of disc used. My only experience with DD is with the etrac. DD are a little more "work" PPing and isolating by circling, etc. but worth the extra effort (imo) for the better coverage down deeper. Not sure about other machines but the etrac will usually sound off even if just a hint of a silver amongst the crap usually....then it's time to "work" the signal. I would think most newer tectors would (should) give a clue on your nail test to at least alert you to check it out. I wished there was a DD that was as easy to use and as spot on as the 8" donut on my GSII but (imo) what little silver is left on public is usually deeper so it's DD for me. They both have their strong points and weaknesses....imo

PS....the small DD's are super simple to use and KILLER in trash and that little extra coverage deeper without much loss in total depth compared to the standard sized DD's just might be something for you to consider when you buy your next coil....????? jmo........

Well I got mixed results with my Tejon and the 8" X 9" coil.
I set it up like this,
Two inches of magazines with a US quarter taped on the bottom in the center.
Two rusty nails,
Set disc to 5cents.
Checked the quarter and all was good.
Put the nail directly over top of the quarter and it hit the quarter find.

Next was two nails spread apart with the quarter below in the middle, here it got a little tricky! with the nails length pointing away from me it would on the coin no matter what the distance was, but when I did a 90 degree cross sweep it wouldn't hit on the quarter at all. So, if I sweep across the nails narrow shanks it would pick up the quarter, but if I sweep across the length of the nails it wouldn't pick up on the quarter.

Mark

The DD will fail miserable if the knife field, direction of swing, is oriented so that all targets are in the knife edge. Turn that swing direction ninety degrees and things change for the better. As Mark noted swing direction, be it concentric or DD makes a big difference in the test results.

When you did the test you said you raised the coil on your sweeps to see if the results changed and it still failed. Did you try changing the swing direction?

As soon as I get time tomorrow afternoon I will test my Tejon and Silver.

Like Oneguy said, if he even gets a hint of target, he starts working the target from different directions.

I have an area I have covered from several directions and pulled over 200 coins out of this area last year. I have just pounded this area. Yet this year I go back and still find some coins. These aren't deep coins either ,1-4" deep. I believe swing direction makes a difference.

I mainly use the 5.75 dd with my Tejon and can tell you that I have found silver touching iron (rust stains on the items) that gave a strong clean signal as though there was no iron. I think that also depends on where the disc is set. That was at max disc where iron should be ignored anyway. Have not tried the nail test but I hope this sheds some light on the ability of the Tejon.

I did some quick testing with a few different detectors and coil combinations. The Tesoro Tejon/Sharpshooter coil combination shined bright. I used a Gatorade Sports Drink Foil Cap to mark the discrimination point. I highly recommend that discrimination point for most areas that are not too trashy. Even less for clean sites. I was getting a clean repeatable signal at around 12 inched or so. I learned a lot today trying out different detectors with different coil combinations.:)

tabman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3A-u64TSo&feature=youtu.be

what happened with a concentric.....????????

Tabman's vid shows just what I am saying- swing direction is everything. Note that when he changes the swing direction so that all targets are in the DD's knife edge field it fails. This is one reason why you can go to an area that you have cleaned out and still find coins.

oneguy said:

My test with the Tejon and the stock 8" X 9" concentric went about the same as "Tabman's" video, I didn't check the distance above the quarter, but it went pretty far. Also, mine hit the quarter at any spacing of the nails, even directly over top it.
So, for now the Tejon with a DD or a concentric does the same thing on this nail test.

Mark

oneguy said:

I used the 8 inch concentric coil and it didn't do as well as the Sharpshooter coil did, but it's not far behind though. Both did real well in the test on the Tejon.:thumbup:

To my surprise the 5.75 concentric coil didn't do worth a flip.:thumbdown:

tabman

tabman said:
oneguy said:

I used the 8 inch concentric coil and it didn't do as well as the Sharpshooter coil did, but it's not far behind though. Both did real well in the test on the Tejon.:thumbup:

To my surprise the 5.75 concentric coil didn't do worth a flip.:thumbdown:

tabman
Hemm! that's odd about the 5.75" concentric, I would have thought it would have done at lest equal to the 8" X 9" I'll try mine and see how that goes, if mine does as good as the 8" X 9" then maybe something is array with your little coil, mine may flop as well.

Mark

interesting stuff for sure. Can't say from experience but I've read just a few times that small C coils REALLY loose on the depth where the small DD's don't loose too much (?). My 6" with the Etrac is good for an 8" dime...can't say any deeper (yet) and I'm pretty sure things would have to be almost "textbook" or flat for a really good signal. I really highly doubt I'll ever get much better than an 8" dime with the 6" (?). I usually use my 13" Ultimate and 7-9" dime ON EDGE is sometimes kinda iffy if you don't know what to listen for (and I'm still learning)... I'm sure the hotdogs can do a little better but this is where I'm at, at this place in time. I don't use the small 6" much anymore as I've got to the point where I can seperate and sometimes isolate pretty good with the 13" in some fairly trashy areas now but with a little work. But damn....that 6" sure is nice to have, use when really needed and just a pleasure to use....just can't cover any ground so to speak.

oneguy said:
interesting stuff for sure. Can't say from experience but I've read just a few times that small C coils REALLY loose on the depth where the small DD's don't loose too much (?). My 6" with the Etrac is good for an 8" dime...can't say any deeper (yet) and I'm pretty sure things would have to be almost "textbook" or flat for a really good signal. I really highly doubt I'll ever get much better than an 8" dime with the 6" (?). I usually use my 13" Ultimate and 7-9" dime ON EDGE is sometimes kinda iffy if you don't know what to listen for (and I'm still learning)... I'm sure the hotdogs can do a little better but this is where I'm at, at this place in time. I don't use the small 6" much anymore as I've got to the point where I can seperate and sometimes isolate pretty good with the 13" in some fairly trashy areas now but with a little work. But damn....that 6" sure is nice to have, use when really needed and just a pleasure to use....just can't cover any ground so to speak.

In the air test I've done with the Tejon between the 8" X 9" vs the 5.75" (both concentrics) the depth is the same and I didn't expect to see that, I don't know how Tesoro accomplished this either?

Mark