Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Simple test....

Mark said:
In the air test I've done with the Tejon between the 8" X 9" vs the 5.75" (both concentrics) the depth is the same and I didn't expect to see that, I don't know how Tesoro accomplished this either?

Mark
I would think that just by design an 8x9 would have at least a 1" advantage vs the smaller coil...???? If I remember right 8x9 is stock on tejon? What does the small coil do in the real world in your opinion...????

I know when you say real world you are saying in the dirt, but what I get in my dirt and you get in your dirt will not be the same so the only thing we have in common is air. So here is the results of my air test on the different coils on my Tejon.

Ron in WV

I'll see if in the next day or so if I can test the little coil out in my deepest coin garden, with a little grass that would be 9" deep (a full 8" of dirt)

Mark

I took my Tejon with the 5x10WS coil and my other detector outside for the simple test.

I ground balanced both machines in a clean spot. I that same spot I took small 2" deep plug in the ground and put the quarter on the bottom heads up. With the nails one on each side it was up averaging and giving me a signal, with only one nail on top of the plug over the quarter no signal.

Now the detector was doing the same thing except it was giving a low tone but I was getting a signal, with the one nail on top of the plug over the quarter no signal.

I did try a tab ring in place of one of the nails and both machines grabbed the tab ring and it was now not seeing the other nail or quarter.

I don't see the magic here.

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
I took my Tejon with the 5x10WS coil and my other detector outside for the simple test.

I ground balanced both machines in a clean spot. I that same spot I took small 2" deep plug in the ground and put the quarter on the bottom heads up. With the nails one on each side it was up averaging and giving me a signal, with only one nail on top of the plug over the quarter no signal.

Now the detector was doing the same thing except it was giving a low tone but I was getting a signal, with the one nail on top of the plug over the quarter no signal.

I did try a tab ring in place of one of the nails and both machines grabbed the tab ring and it was now not seeing the other nail or quarter.

I don't see the magic here.

Ron in WV

Here is the tricky part,
with the nail turned with its length in direction of the coil sweep they don't hit the quarter, (North South)
but if you turn the nail 90 degrees or to say, its length heel to toe of the coil and sweep over it it will hit the quarter. (East West)

If both of your detectors do that in this test then that would at lest put them on an equal playing field in this area.

Mark

Well that test wouldn't work for me my nails were pointing east & west. :rofl: I couldn't help myself.

No for real, neither detector gave a signal when swinging end to end on the nails. Seems that detector in the end to end swing is picking up both nails at the same time and when swing from the other direction it picks up the first nail then the space with the quarter then the other nail.

I could see being that I don't have any tone ID on the Tejon that I would be more likely to dig that item than if I was using the machine with the tone ID telling me it is iron.

So that would be one up for the Tejon.

Ron in WV

Here is the tricky part,
with the nail turned with its length in direction of the coil sweep they don't hit the quarter, (North South)
but if you turn the nail 90 degrees or to say, its length heel to toe of the coil and sweep over it it will hit the quarter. (East West)

If both of your detectors do that in this test then that would at lest put them on an equal playing field in this area.

Mark[/quote]

Everyone needs to make sure that the nails are disseminated out at all angles before starting the test. It takes a higher discrimination setting going lengthwise.

tabman

This iron masking/separation business is the reason why Ive gravitated to fast response, multitone detectors through the years.
I DELIBERATELY listen to the iron tones - that alerts me to the presence of masking. In between Im also keen to hear the tell-tale pitch of other, better targets.

One of the best discriminators I've had for this was a green detector from a company whose name started with the letter, "G."
There have been others, too.
BUT I do recall several finds that were made with Tesoros that were in the same hole with large iron objects. One that comes to mind was a Mercury dime together with a large nail. That was with my trusty old Silver Saber.

Im glad to hear the Vaquero does a good job at discerning among iron masking, as I've got my eye on one of those - or a Cibola - as my next back up unit.

This is some great information guys, I appreciate all the responses, it makes for
better data when decision time comes
Looks like the Tejon is as good as we can expect between the nails or even
with one on top and the Vaquero did well also
I was hoping to see how the Outlaw did in this scenerio as it has the ED 120 Disc
same as my Silver and I wondered if that had anything to do with it's failure in this..

I am surprised that the small coil didn't fair well, I didn't check it with the Vaquero,
just assumed it would do as good or better being smalller... will check it now.

You probably all know this, but Monte's nail board test duplicates your testing and checks from several angles. This is a good standard test so that everyone can make similar comparisons. If you Google nail board test everyone can print out the page and lay the objects in the exact same spots. This way we would be testing identical.

Despite the nail board test, I sure want to thank everybody for taking the time to post test results. Very interesting results.

The drawback to the nail board test is they are all on the same plane
my Silver excels when they are all on the board
It's a new game when you have the target below the nails....