Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SLQ 1918

WV62

The three of us brothers Mark, Greg and me Ron haven't had a lot of time to do any detecting this year. We lost our 92 year old mother back in May and it has been all hands on deck taking care of all the business of the estate.
All 3 of us decided to do a all day hunt this past Wednesday at the park. We were hunting right off the main road through the park and it was all flat land and has been pounded by all that detect in our area. After several hours of hunting my brother Greg came over and wanted to head back to the truck to get something cold to drink. I was in the middle of a dig, but just before he came over I opened up that hole and found that 1918 SLQ and I took it down to the creek to wash it off and checked the hole when I got back and there was still something giving me a high tone in the quarter hole. I was digging for that when my brother came over and I wasn't leaving until that hole was clean. Turned out to be that weird looking bottle cap in the picture.
By the end of the day we all had a wheat penny in our pouch and brother Mark got a silver dime.
Not a bad hunt and we had a really good time.

Ron in WV

Std Lib 2.jpgStd Lib 1.jpg

My condolences to you and your family.
Know what’s priceless? The three of you getting together and having fun with a hobby you all enjoy. Congratulations on the SLQ!!

Well, it was a good day and probably a needed one at lest for me, it seems I've been swamped with some project for ever!
The weather was excellent, it was getting a little tiring not finding much, so much so that finding a Wheat cent was exciting :love:
So, Ron findes the SLQ and all three of us were renewed.
Fines in total were few, and it was getting pretty late in the day, and I had changed coils from the 10" concentric to the 11" DD.
The grass wasn't tall but it had a very deep bed to it.
I was finding Memorial cents in the 4" range, add to that a 3" grass bed and that put the modern Lincolns in the 7" deep range, meaning to get to the silver I needed to
be running at lest two more inches.
I was scrubbing the grass bed to get some compression of the grass but the open frame coils don't actually SCRUB well, but I was reaching for another inch of depth.
I move up closer to the road and got a high tone, pretty consistent, but sweeping in the right direction it was repeatable, I dug it, I had gotten down to pinpointing it with
handheld pinpointer, dug some lose dirt out of the pinpointed area, scooped the lose dirt out with my hand and had my pinpointer in my cutting ready to check the hole again
and Greg comes over and points to the lose dirt to the outside of the hole and says what's that? and a closer look reveals a 49 Rosie :bouncy: Now this was a much better find than the
2-1/2 pound Stainless steel welders ground clamp I had found earlier :LOL:
So, we got two pieces of silver for the day.
By the time I found the Rosie I'll say it was around 6:00pm the sun had lost most of its sting I was able to operate the F-70 with these settings,
a sensitivity of 75 (a move up from an earlier 70 setting in full sun)
a minus -2 threshold
disc @ 22
notched in nickles
notched out everything above nickels to copper cents and of course wide open from there on up.
The detector ground balanced around 67.

DSC08073.JPG

DSC08077.JPG

That quarter Ron found was our best find of the day for sure and it was fairly early in the day so that really gave us a nice boost.
Both times that silver was found I just happened to go over and check on how they were doing and out pops a Silver coin, I was just behind the curve.
This place we hunted has been hunted at least 1,000 times before but with a little luck and some good patience we got some silver, no thanks to me.

LoL! I didn't check to see what sub-forum Ron started this thread in, I just realized its in the Minelabs E-Trac forum, so everyone here please over look my F-70 settings.

I check in on all the forums from time to time and find on this one the 3 detecting brothers having just shared an outing together. I think that is pretty neat. And a couple of silvers to boot. In particular, that SLQ, Ron, is a pretty nice find. Sorry for you guys loss.

Oh, spent a couple of years in Fairmont, back in the late 60's on my round about way from Mn to Tn and had the good fortune to spend a few fishing outings on the North Fork Of The South Branch Of The Potomac, chasing smallmouth. Beautiful country you all have to roam in. HH jim tn

Sorry for your loss.... She lived a long good life Im sure.

Congrats on the SLQ. Its very rare to find one with a date. Less than 10%

HH
Donna(NJ)