Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small Coils..

Coinboy007

Just got my etrac and I'm loving it so far. I have been looking for a small coil for less than 150$. Which one do you recommend? My only coil right now is the NEL hunter 12.5 x 8.5 inch, and I need one that will perform in the trashy areas and still give good depth. I have a few options so far: The 5 inch sunray X5 coil, 8 inch sunray X8, or the 6x8 SEF detech. I would be open to other options too, just wanted to hear everyones opinions. Thanks!

My opinion is...

I have used a number of different small coils over the years, and they all work, but I like the SEF the best so far. Of course, it is very time consuming to effectively cover the ground thoroughly with the small coil. I will work these areas with both the standard coil and a small coil.

Until you get a small coil, when in the heavy trash and targets are not over 6-7 inches deep, you can use the standard Minelab coil. Turn the sensitivity down to the teens, (I have Fast = ON, DEEP = OFF), go real slow, watch the depth gauge and listen real hard. This takes time to learn, especially sorting out the things you want to hear from all the "noise". The tight "wiggle" is a great method for isolating your desired target.

I recommend you play/test with the Gain and Variability settings until you find the values that suit your particular hearing. Good luck!

Coinboy007 how's the count going? 7 days now counting today. No pressure;)
HH okie

That's awesome!! I was hoping you weren't snowed in or something. In my heart I believe you're
gonna make it! Still pulling for ya!
HH okie

Another one I’m considering is the 6 inch coiltek treasure seeker. Has anyone used that?
I got this coil today. The coiltek website says its out of production. I wanted to get one before they are gone. My ground will be froze till April. Plus we get a lot of snow.. So, no testing till then.