Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small DD coil

Jason in TN

Does any one know id Garret is planning on making a stock DD coil. I know a few folks have used the infinium coil but would be nice to have a stock DD I would buy one.

Jason

So no one else is interested in a small DD coil for the ATX? Hope there is one in the woks from Garret think I will hold off on the 8in mono for now and see what happens.

Jason

I don't foresee Garret having any plans to do this now. They have three coils out now and are still trying to get the open coil covers for them. It just would not make sense to add another coil at this time when they have been behind since the ATX was released last year. Just my opinion.

I emailed Garrett asking the same question . There response was they have nothing planned for the atx in regards to coils . But pmcoils in Victoria Australia have in the works mono coils of varying sizes and shaft adapters . should be ready in a month or two . Pmcoils have a Facebook page .

Hope they do make one if not may have to find a way to adapt one to work. May have to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the 8in mono really would rather have a small dd.

Jason

That is great news, looking forward to seeing the types of ATX coils PMcoils has to offer.

That's for sharing,
Paul

Agree Jason,

Would be nice to see a smaller DD, waterproof too.

Paul

Jason,

For the price of an 8" mono, you could buy both small infinium dd coils and a quality carbon straight shaft. Just have to mount the atx somewhere. I put mine on my chest, handle pointing down and out.

BH

Booty Hunter said:
Jason,

For the price of an 8" mono, you could buy both small infinium dd coils and a quality carbon straight shaft. Just have to mount the atx somewhere. I put mine on my chest, handle pointing down and out.

BH

Thanks every one for thoughts. Really would like a small DD make no sense that garret would not have one. Would love to see pics of your set up and info on getting carbon shaft. I do a good bit of water hunting so really need something waterproof.

Jason

Ready for combat. Military surplus suspenders and belt. Took the clips from my atx bag to clip on upper straps, and sewed velcro to 1" webbing to secure lower end. 1" webbing just sewed tight around the body. It slids up and down to get access to change coils. My carbon rod was purchased on ebay and then I glassed a handle on and bought an Anderson arm cuff. The bottom uses a garrett lower rod glassed in. It is non-adjustable, but I will make another in which the handle and armcuff will be movable. For those unfamiliar with working with glass and epoxy, just buy an Anderson carbon shaft for an infinium for $199.

Old California said:
That is great news, looking forward to seeing the types of ATX coils PMcoils has to offer.

That's for sharing,
Paul

Just shot off another pm to pmcoils . Just waiting for a response from them .

Booty Hunter said:
Ready for combat. Military surplus suspenders and belt. Took the clips from my atx bag to clip on upper straps, and sewed velcro to 1" webbing to secure lower end. 1" webbing just sewed tight around the body. It slids up and down to get access to change coils. My carbon rod was purchased on ebay and then I glassed a handle on and bought an Anderson arm cuff. The bottom uses a garrett lower rod glassed in. It is non-adjustable, but I will make another in which the handle and armcuff will be movable. For those unfamiliar with working with glass and epoxy, just buy an Anderson carbon shaft for an infinium for $199.

Best use of an H-Harness that I have seen in 20 years! That setup of yours gives me some great ideas....thanks for the photos. :thumbup: Shayne

Very nice BH,

We appreciate the sharing of these ATX additions, I may rig up something similar to yours. Sure looks light as a feather.

Thanks again,

Paul

After reading your post the other day, went to pm coils website and strolled though the site. Very impressive and the coils are well made, seen some on eBay too pricing very reasonable.

Can't wait to see what pm coils has to offer for the ATX, may grab a couple.

Thanks,
Paul

Booty Hunter said:

Awesome thanks for the pics. Guessing you changed connector or made a adaptor. Is the rig still waterproof?

Hello Jason,

We are so fortunate Infinium DD coils work on the ATX, it has given us an opportunity to experiment with these coils for certain types of hunting.

I'm more of an inland hunter, relic and gold jewelry but do hit fresh water during the season and ocean wet sand few times a year.

The smaller Infinium DD coils are great, light as a feather and use both the 3"X7" & 7"X10" for relic and gold jewelry hunting, still in the early stages of using the 3"X7" DD but so far like it allot for relic sites laced with iron. Sure, I use other top end models suited for relic hunting but for fun use the ATX as well. Dig allot of iron with the ATX but also find cool hand forged iron would have passed up with my top end VLF, plus the smaller coils see less ground reducing iron masking when hunting older sites laced with iron. Have pulled a few conductive finds I feel would have been masked and missed by my top end VLF models.

What I use for a shaft is from a Garrett Recon, removed the recon coil and use Infinium DD coils. Now its so easy, by adding a 5" inch in lenght lower shaft to each Infinium DD coil swapping is very quick and of course have replaced the cable on one DD and shortened the others.

So here's an idea for Garrett, Rather than change complete coil/shaft only change out coils from the lower shaft so only one shaft is needed.

Take care,
Paul

Jason,

No adapters or connector change needed. Still waterproof. Infinium coils use the same connector. I do use the headphones from my seahunter, even though I rarley get them wet. I picked up the harness on ebay for less than $20 shipped. Everyting else was scraps of stuff around the house.

BH

Old California said:
Hello Jason,

We are so fortunate Infinium DD coils work on the ATX, it has given us an opportunity to experiment with these coils for certain types of hunting.

I'm more of an inland hunter, relic and gold jewelry but do hit fresh water during the season and ocean wet sand few times a year.

The smaller Infinium DD coils are great, light as a feather and use both the 3"X7" & 7"X10" for relic and gold jewelry hunting, still in the early stages of using the 3"X7" DD but so far like it allot for relic sites laced with iron. Sure, I use other top end models suited for relic hunting but for fun use the ATX as well. Dig allot of iron with the ATX but also find cool hand forged iron would have passed up with my top end VLF, plus the smaller coils see less ground reducing iron masking when hunting older sites laced with iron. Have pulled a few conductive finds I feel would have been masked and missed by my top end VLF models.

What I use for a shaft is from a Garrett Recon, removed the recon coil and use Infinium DD coils. Now its so easy, by adding a 5" inch in lenght lower shaft to each Infinium DD coil swapping is very quick and of course have replaced the cable on one DD and shortened the others.

So here's an idea for Garrett, Rather than change complete coil/shaft only change out coils from the lower shaft so only one shaft is needed.

Take care,
Paul

Thanks Paul may try have to give a infinium coil a try.