Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

smart phone aps?

101numlock

Anyone use their smart phone as a GPS to navigate in the woods? What aps are best and are you able to upload your track onto Google earth?

I use one and it works well on my phone but it will also tell Everone when your out in the woods too unless you disable that part of the app.
so if you use it be carful as you might tell someone you don't want in your house when your out in the woods or at the store ect... so just a word to the wise about it!!

I use the free Android app called GPS Essentials. Where I live there are no cell signals in the "woods" so Google Earth and any other mapping program that relies upon cell signals will not work. GPS Essentials provides long, lat and elevation and has a swell compass. I haven't explored its capabilities much past that.

I have a Magellan Triton, a TomTom a Garmin as well as my Android phone and no two of them give me the same readings. In the degrees minutes.minutes configuration, the first digit to the right of the minutes decimal point is worth about 600 feet for longitude, the next, about 60 feet and the third, about 6 feet. My TomTom is sometimes off by 60 feet while the others agree to about 6 feet. Go figure.

Mark