Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Smashed Screw Caps GRRRRRR

5900_XL-1

Is there a way to limit digging so darned many crushed alum screw caps with the Equinox. These caps keep ringing like perfect silver signal, indicate it is deep...it is deep...but another smashed screw cap.

Nope. My CTX loved them too. I just accept it for the price of being an awesome detector.

I dig some too but I bet there is a difference in sounds between those and a good coin sound.

But my hearing is getting bad so maybe others will chime in and let us know.

Best of luck,

Tony

Hopefully the price of scrap aluminum will go up. Mine will pay for itself. Dug four caps today. At least I was swinging. PA.

Thanks all. One thing I can say about my old V3i, it does show a frequency dominance for 2.5Khz in polar display on real silver. Dominance with smashed screw caps exhibits blue(7.5k.) Many of the bottle caps I dig are fairly deep, and the V3i basically loses much of it's analysis ability past 7 inches.

One thing gets me. These hard hunted parks where I am digging good sounding deeper coin signals which end up being smashed screw caps, are spots which have been hammered by equal to better tectors than I am, Etracs, CTX, you name it, and those people passed digging these, assuming the Equinox isn't simply beating all of these other models by reading them. I was hoping that there might be someone with a little secret to pass them up.

Just part of the game, so dig them all, I will.

For the number I’ve dug with the Explorer and CTX it’s ok. It’s hard to think of something that mimics a coin any better than they do! They sometimes have a reeded edge too so it’s a REAL screwing...

With the Explorer II you could disc out the screw caps but you lost depth. And of course there were times when the machine didn't know but not many.

Tony

IDX, when you notched them out using your EXP II - did the machine desc them out but you lost depth?

Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPW2i1IyCh0

Here in Australia our $! and $2 coins land right on aluminium screw caps. Here is a quick video showing the seperation of the screw caps from the coins. This will work at a workable depth. V3i is a very adaptable detector with more moves than a chest board. There is a large learning curve with this detector BUT when you master it the possibilities just go on and on..

Regards Below2doe.

Des D

I am sure you have used the Sovereigns and using a 180 meter I had good luck at not digging a lot of screw caps, got some as they were iffy at time and didn't want to lose those IH pennies and older Wheaties. I notice the IH and the older Wheaties and zinc would read 176-177 when the meter was calibrated to 180 for a good coin. The screw caps would read 177 and 178 and just sounded louder for me. I did dig some that were deeper and iffy sounding just in case. Now if i was hunting for gold I would have dug them all, but for coins the 143-144 were nickles except some war nickles which read to 151 on some, but had the nickle tone to them. I A 176-177 where the older Wheaties, the IH and the new zinc pennies and if the meter would jump to 178 I could bet it was a screw cap while the 179-180 where the copper and silver coins. Got fooled on a few and some I dug anyway as they sounded smoother and thought they maybe something other than a screw caps, just had to make sure.

Rick

On the minelabs before the 12 ferrous line crown caps hit in the far lower right region. Nothing else hit there, so you could safely discriminate out that area.

Crown caps are completely not an issue with my XS, don't think I've ever dug one. Later I bought a Fisher F-75 that just loved crown caps. Coming from the XS I was surprised to see this was still an issue with modern detectors. People gave me advice on how to differentiate them from good targets, but I never got the hang of it enough to not dig crown caps with that machine.

Sounds like this is a problem for other detectors. It seems that the technology exists to prevent this, but for some reason they manufacturers aren't doing it.

Chris

Chris(SoCenWI) said:
On the minelabs before the 12 ferrous line crown caps hit in the far lower right region. ......

Chris

Screw caps, not crown caps. screw caps are aluminum, crown caps are steel. On the EQX, screwcaps read as quarters, crowncaps read as nickels. (generally)

Jason in Enid said:
On the minelabs before the 12 ferrous line crown caps hit in the far lower right region. ......

Chris

Screw caps, not crown caps. screw caps are aluminum, crown caps are steel. On the EQX, screwcaps read as quarters, crowncaps read as nickels. (generally)

That's what I've learned as of late.

Let's just hope that the person that felt compelled to crush the screw cap and throw it on the ground also lost a ring or some coins in the act...

5900, its not just the equinox, IMO screwcaps deal more misery than any other type of trash. Most trash at least pretty much gives you an idea on the screen by the ID or by the way it sounds, On some machines even pop off caps can be discriminated out. But the screw caps both looks like and sounds like a coin and worse will totally mask a ring or a coln thats smaller than a quarter and will still partially mask the larger ones. Now that you have the good news, here's what I do. When you get a good tone that reads like a coin, lift your coil up about six inches, If you still clearly hear the tone its not a coin except maybe a larger one right under the ground. Another thing you can do, slowly swing your coil across the full diameter of your tone east to west.. Unless the cap is deep and crushed,the tone will run the full diameter of your coil whereas a coin will only tone over say half the coil width. This works much better with an 8 or 9 inch coil which I prefer where these pests are bad. Just keep in mind they will still mask a good target. To remove them first is your decision. Best. PT