Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

snake bite remedy to bring along?

JoanInCreek

Hi, can anyone tell me what to bring in case a snake sneaks up on me, or more likely, I sneak up on it? I use my detector as a foot first sort of speak, but you never know what I will run into when traipsing through weeds and woods. Thanks!

After watching City Slickers,take a buddy,so if you get bit in a place you cant reach they can suck the poison out.

But that might be a little extreme for me to do.

Snake bite kit is all I can think of.But I read somewhere its best not to do that,get to a Dr. ASAP.Unless you live in Australia or somewhere they got the really bad boys.Some I heard you 5 minutes to live.

But my thinking is if you are swing that coil,it's gonna be making enough noise to let a snake know something is coming and it will move-maybe.
When I'm in the woods,I dont worry about too much but I still stay cautious.

Where I can when the critters are out, I carry a .44 Mag Revolver. When I'm up higher in the hills where the bears and mountain lion are, I try and let the eyeballs work around often. The dog is usually the first to spot a critter.
This year, I think I'll get one of those types of headphones with one ear cup for snake listening. Rattle snakes don't always rattle off the start so this should always be kept in mind.
I have only had a couple close strikers in the years - but no matter a partner should tag along safety wise.
Besides a first aid kit, cell phone etc., in snake areas I also carry a bite kit called the Extractor. It's not the old style suction cup razor kit. The Extractor is for stings in addition to bites. I bought a few at a local Wally World some time ago at the camping accessory department. They are very affordable.
We keep these Extractor kits at work now located throughout the facility.
I find the mosquitoes one of the most annoying critters so skeeter repellent is a must when they are out.

n/t

I was a surveyor close to four decades. I worked outside all that time.

It is hard for most people imagine the places that surveyors go. We

went through places where no one in their right mind would dare to

go. Digging, searching, cutting line and showing the way that only

surveyors and bull dozers would go. Some times the bull dozers

couldn't make it.

I never came close to being snake bit. I wasn't a fool. I didn't stick

my hand in until I knew it was OK. I have stepped on several snakes.

I have dealt with more snakes than most people in this state.

I never killed one except at the insistence of others. They thought

that the snakes were a danger.

Snakes are not dangerous.

Spiders and vines are more dangerous. Trees are more dangerous. Cars are more

dangerous. Rivers, lakes and oceans are more dangerous. Lightning,

storms, and just going to work is more dangerous than a snake encounter.

I don't see what the big deal is:shrug:

HH,

You are right Tagdog, I would guess however you wore some boots when kicking around in the brush and surveying. My best advice is to wear boots, and don't put hands where you can't see. For me when I run onto a snake he is usually scared and takes off and it makes me jump about 3 feet up and 4 feet back and my guess is that the surprise encounter is more likely to hurt me than doing any harm to the snake. And yours right about not killing them. Without them we would be overrun with mice and other varmints. If he is poison and in my back yard thats another matter. In the wild folks should leave them alone. Bubba2