Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Snowed in and bored. Coin finds observation.

Ronstar

So its snowing and getting way colder for a few days. Decided to go thru all the 82 and earlier copper pennies (back to 60) and sort by year and inspect for any keepers. That took up the whole day.....
Curious observation here. I noted barely any 62, then 67, and then 65 pennies compared to all other 60s years. In the 70s (pic below) hardly any 70, 71, or 72s compared to the rest of the years. Looking at the RedBook it makes no sense that everything isn't more evenly divided. Has anyone else noticed or do this type checking of dug coins?? On the bright side I might have a 70 small date and possibly a 72 double die obverse!! Need to take to the coin guy down in the valley and confirm.
Always pays to double check coins before doing anything with them.
In the pic all even years on left, odd on right. Rows start 70 on top to 78 on bottom and other side 71 down to 79. Each tall stack is 20 count so easy to compare.

Attachments

• 4CC687EA-2E74-4465-A9F1-B895222086F3.jpeg
    4CC687EA-2E74-4465-A9F1-B895222086F3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
Banks take your Zincs? If they are so much as beginning to pit they reject them here and if you do sneak them past they will call you back and make you exchange.

I have about 70lbs of pennies in a jar!
Mark

Good pile of clad,Dave! As you know,I bought that SEF coil with my 40.00 odd bucks that I found,,,Of course I put some with it! It is still -18* here. Just remember...A deep frost may bring some coins back up closer to the surface. It's a strange thing!

70 pounds of pennies. thats a pile!
I just cleaned all my clad coins. I just used a big strainer with dish soap and rinse and scrub them a few times and took to bank change machine. $298
I am ready for spring. -20 here this morning.
Another snowstorm happening here. The 2nd one this week😥😥 I need a detecting therapy session 🤣🤣

It's odd how some dates show up in abundance and other years are scarce. Of course mintage has a lot to do with it but when you're talking about billions of cents in any given year it is odd that the count is skewed so much. I am still looking for a couple of "S" mintmarks from the 70's,but with the lower mintage figures for these "S" mintmarks,it's understandable. The one coin that eludes me is the 1954 Plain Wheat Cent. I've been hunting since 1982 and have never found one. I have found many of the early teens and 20's Wheats with far less mintages, but no 54-P ? The steel cents I have found were all undatable so I just added "undug" examples. Your post is interesting and sorting is a good way to pass the time until the weather gets better.

Attachments

• B637D6FA-F630-4BE1-82C1-11213A077555.jpeg
    B637D6FA-F630-4BE1-82C1-11213A077555.jpeg
    872.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 7DE097EA-DA00-414E-AB28-FC97C6368183.jpeg
    7DE097EA-DA00-414E-AB28-FC97C6368183.jpeg
    966.8 KB · Views: 116
I clean cents and clad about every three months. Typically $65. to $75. each time. Clean, roll and then to the bank.

Had a Garrett gold pan that I throw all common date wheats into and they were piling up in the pan pretty good. Have a hunting buddy that has been saving his wheat finds and buying some on occasion and he offered me 3 cents apiece for mine. Sold him a good batch about 9 years ago. Anyway, counted them and had exactly 3350. Those and a few better dates and mint marks were all found since selling the last batch. Like you all above, I counted them on a nice chilly afternoon. Have some nasty cold coming in down this way, too, in a couple of days. HH Jim tn

I have one small plastic tub with single wheats of each year and mint mark. If I find a better condition coin then I switch them out, hopefully I am close to being complete so I too have a need for a couple dates.
Other interesting observation was that some year spans dont seem to tarnish as much as others so now Im wondering if those were the pennies that VDI’d closer to dime numbers..... (?)

And yeah, dropping to single digit temps and snowing. Light at the end of tunnel here? Well July is right around the corner now.....😂

After checking the date/mintmark and cherrypicking the nice ones for the books, I made the mistake of just throwing most of my wheat pennies and Indian head cents in large containers for over 20 years.

Now that I am older and my kids don't want my collections, I have to go back through them and clean them up enough to hopefully make them saleable.

Yikes - over 2400 IH and over 11,000 wheats... I have plenty to do while the ground is covered!!

I clean cents and clad about every three months. Typically $65. to $75. each time. Clean, roll and then to the bank.

Had a Garrett gold pan that I throw all common date wheats into and they were piling up in the pan pretty good. Have a hunting buddy that has been saving his wheat finds and buying some on occasion and he offered me 3 cents apiece for mine. Sold him a good batch about 9 years ago. Anyway, counted them and had exactly 3350. Those and a few better dates and mint marks were all found since selling the last batch. Like you all above, I counted them on a nice chilly afternoon. Have some nasty cold coming in down this way, too, in a couple of days. HH Jim tn
Man I have a pile of wheats!! 4 years worth id sell him! lol
mark

After checking the date/mintmark and cherrypicking the nice ones for the books, I made the mistake of just throwing most of my wheat pennies and Indian head cents in large containers for over 20 years.

Now that I am older and my kids don't want my collections, I have to go back through them and clean them up enough to hopefully make them saleable.

Yikes - over 2400 IH and over 11,000 wheats... I have plenty to do while the ground is covered!!
2400 IH's is a bunch. There has to be some good dates in there. Good hunting.

Mark, I was pleased to unload those rascals at 3 cents per. Just piling up and collecting dust. I have dug thousands over my 49 years with the hobby and never ever recovered a key date one. HH Jim tn

Mark, I was pleased to unload those rascals at 3 cents per. Just piling up and collecting dust. I have dug thousands over my 49 years with the hobby and never ever recovered a key date one. HH Jim tn
Lol I knowJim I’m bad I’ve never checked mine for key dates only my silverhave piles of wheats...
Mark

70 pounds of pennies. thats a pile!
I just cleaned all my clad coins. I just used a big strainer with dish soap and rinse and scrub them a few times and took to bank change machine. $298
I am ready for spring. -20 here this morning.
Where do you live Ice station Zebra? -20 Below? WHAT? FFS
You know it's ok to move south the wars over.

If your kids don't want your collections give them to me that will teach them.

2400 IH's is a bunch. There has to be some good dates in there. Good hunting.
Yea, I have found all of the IH cents except the 1908-S... and all of the wheats except 1931-S... and have picked out the 'good' ones... the rest in the jars that I didn't clean right away are proving to be much more difficult to clean up now, so be forewarned! I wish I had put some penetrating oil or something in those jars to soften the crud while they sat.

Geez, I can still vaguely remember those kinds of temps, as I believe I've mentioned, having grown up in Moorhead, Mn and returning for a few Christmas's over the years. I still follow the Vikings and you are probably right, won't see you down here any time soon. LOL HH Jim tn