Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So... here is what I did two days back..

Micheal_R

Staff member
It took pretty much all day to haul him out (only 400 yards)... and then skin him..... but there is a heap of dinners there. On the hook, there is 684 pounds

[attachment 213940 moose9.jpg]

[attachment 213941 moose19.jpg]

Fair winds

Micheal

n/t

I see you can do the "other kind of hunting" too!!

It would take several big white tails to equal the dinners that represents!

Well done Mikie!

What is your hunting weapon of choice for an animal that big?

Regards and Best Wishes,

CJ

Takes care of the winter meat for sure. Awesome to have all different types of animals to hunt available. Large game here is deer. Have moose and bear pass thru but not enough to allow hunting of the surplus. Great pictures also....What more could a guy ask for....Nice skid steer, concrete floor with a roof to work in, available game, and friends to help out. Don;t get much better than that. Nice guy cave for the hunter.... Deer season is on here now, but mostly bow right now....Rifle the first of the month..... Got one fella here who got knifed while working for AT&T in Bridgeport, CT...Had enough stab damage that he was allowed to have a crossbow permit to bow hunt with. So he set up his tree stand and will start bow hunting this weekend. He is a rack hunter until the last 2 days, then he is flexiable... The first piece of moose meat I ever ate was a friend I worked with who had been hunting them in New Brunswick. He brought it to work a large plasatic container with these cubed meat...Offered it up, no one took him up on it as they were afraid it might be organs they didn't want to eat....After watching him eat it, I figured it isn't killing him, I'll try it... Really tasty for sure as I reached back for more, but. what am I eating...After all the typical guess work, he told me it was tongue.... Said they tenderize it with the hammer and do it up and so on...Tell ya, I was glad no one wanted to still try it as I was enjoying the feast....
Later in the week we had steaks, burgers etc...Nice tasting animal...
Looks like the perfect ending to hunt.

Congratulations

George-CT

He was work... but nobody ever drowned in sweat :):

Take care

Fair winds

Micheal

Some might think that it is a smallish gun for the moose..... but I custom load my own rounds.. So they have a bit of snap.. and I use partition noslers. . and he was only a couple of hundred yards away.. One behind the ear and he was down.

The hook weight is 684 pounds... so that is about 4 or 5 big whities... or three decent mulies. All in all, a lot of eating there.

Fair winds

Micheal

n/t

Ya need help devouring a chunk a meat once in a while call on me Friend!!

That's gotta be fine eatin!

Among the many characters I have known over the years there have been a few who could consistently drop a moose, cariboo or elk with a .22 long rifle, but I wouldn't recommend it!

You had enough gun to "git her done" as some folks say!

Where you put that bullet is the secret to one shot, no suffering, kinda huntin I prefer.

All the best,

CJ

I'm used to something you just sling across your trunk lid to bring home. That's impressive, what did you use to bring him down?

Almost 400 yards of sweating, grunting and a lot of colourful language... and the better part of an afternoon to skin him.

all in all, it killed the day. But it was very much worth it. 684 pounds on the hook

Fair winds

Micheal

Kudoes to you Mikie, a bull moose has got to be one of the most dangerous animals in the woods but they are awfully good eating so long as you don't overcook the meat.

Cheers Mate,

Eric:cool:

Thanks Eric.

Where are located now. Last I heard/read it was in South America [Peru I think}..

Have you moved on?

I've put a lot of kilometers under my keel in the past year (78,000 more or less). We worked our way from Peru to Ecuador and then on into Colombia. We tried to hop over to Cuba but Fidel wanted too much money to make a visit worth while and besides that they confiscate metal detectors there so we headed back to Canada for a short visit with family and friends.
I spent the fall working on our antique Chris Craft and now we are headed for Baja Mexico, via the southern states of the U. S. of A. Later we'll see about revisiting Ecuador, we really liked that country.

Fair winds and calm seas to you, mate.:cool:

n/t

n/t

Used to have a friend when I worked at Borg Warner in Decatur IL. that I hunted deer with in Missouri, He hunted with a 25-06 and I a 30-06 he swore his 25-06 would bring down a Grizzly if the bullet was well placed. I always felt I could trust my 30-06 a bit better for that creature.

He brought home a Moose he got in Montana one year and brought in a Moose roast for sandwiches. I couldn't tell any difference in it from beef except it was a little bit drier. I wouldn't have any trouble living on Moose as a steady diet. Really good eating.

Congratulations on you fine Moose, you will eat good all this year. Rick IL.