Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So, in the years ahead

Dancer

Yep, in the future Cladd coin finds are going to become fewer and fewer. Fresh drop finds already becoming scarce. The US goverment is way ahead of getting rid of the penny their working on getting rid of using all coins. Plastic, the young not being taught how to count, vender prices rounded to the dollar among some of the reasons. Can you think in the future, hunters coming home with 3-4 Cladd coins and wow 1 quarter was a 1965. It's going to happen. Heck when we do find pennies today most of them are rotted beyond use. I still like hunting but I'm noticing it's getting to be a thrill breaking a dollar and scoring a junk ring.

Coin shooting is getting to the point that knocking in older sections of town is where one has to go. Some of the rural towns have older parks but now seeing younger folks swinging detectors like golf clubs so thats good for us more dedicated hobbyists. But you’re right, younger school kids have no idea how to “make change” and no one carries change. Guess we hope for jewelry and old coins…….🤔

It isn't hat coins aren't being used and lost, they are but as you related folks are carrying less than we used to. A bigger problem is that a lot of schools and their playgrounds are fence3d off in many locations, and propel, as a whole, are not using public parks as often. Gosh, I remember when I was a kid and I would head to the closest city park, one mile away, to use the playground equipment or play ball or watch the older kids use the baseball fields for games. On some weekdays of a summer, or often on a weekend, you would see others enjoying a frailty picnic at the park, blankets and all.

Too many people getting into the detecting hobby are younger and don't know about or have experienced those 'good old days'. All the activity the popular urban sites enjoyed for decades left lot of coins, jewelry and other interesting lost things to be found. Newcomers will still find stuff, but for those of us who were the early birds and get an active start in this great sport, we had the pleasure of thinning out the bounteous amounts of lost keepers! I started in march of '65 and the 'glory years' were all through the '70s and most of the '80s. But I still have fun giving sites a go. I just try to concentrate on older sites, renovation, permissions, etc.

No, things are not going to be as wonderful in the future and even today it can be downright frustrating. But I knw if I hang in there and do my part, I am sure to stumble upon a nice site or two and that will brighten my life.

Monte

You guys really have to work a lot harder for nice finds than we do here in the uk.We get disappointed sometimes when we keep digging up George 111 coins from the 1700's.........these are very common finds.There are many good sites over here and many still to be discovered,most of our fields contain something interesting and a lot contain items going back over 2000 years.
Here is an example..........when i used to be in a club we used to have club rallies.A mate of mine dropped into a farmhouse to ask the farmer if he would allow the club to search his fields (we used to pay the farmer for this opportunity) to which he said yes.The field was in the middle of nowhere but close to the historic town of Worcester and it had never before been searched.......my mate and i never did a quick search before the club went on it as we thought there wasn't going to be that much there.
After the club rally had finished,there had been hundreds of roman coins found,roman brooches and part of a roman helmet,molten gold,medieval coins and artefacts and the site was considered important enough for archeologists to get involved.There are probably many more sites like this in the uk its just a matter of being willing to search areas that we think have no historical significance.

No question for us this side of the pond that good spots are fewer and fewer. Personally, I could care less about clad not being replaced. Non the less, I can attest there are still good spots left if one keeps his eyes and ears open. I'm on one now that being the type of site it is I'm quite sure has never seen another detector on it save for myself and occasionally a couple of buddies. And its a goodie! HH jim tn

I have noticed a sharp decline in coins at schools since about 2010 or so…. Especially fresh drops, but I still come across some coins in the playgrounds now and then, but not as often as I used to.
When I first started detecting back in 2006, school yards were loaded with clad and it was not unusual to find 40 quarters or more during a hunt.
I guess at the older schools, once tue silver coins stopped showing up, people moved on and left these sites and at the newer schools, they were not interested in clad.

You guys really have to work a lot harder for nice finds than we do here in the uk.We get disappointed sometimes when we keep digging up George 111 coins from the 1700's.........these are very common finds.There are many good sites over here and many still to be discovered,most of our fields contain something interesting and a lot contain items going back over 2000 years.
Here is an example..........when i used to be in a club we used to have club rallies.A mate of mine dropped into a farmhouse to ask the farmer if he would allow the club to search his fields (we used to pay the farmer for this opportunity) to which he said yes.The field was in the middle of nowhere but close to the historic town of Worcester and it had never before been searched.......my mate and i never did a quick search before the club went on it as we thought there wasn't going to be that much there.
After the club rally had finished,there had been hundreds of roman coins found,roman brooches and part of a roman helmet,molten gold,medieval coins and artefacts and the site was considered important enough for archeologists to get involved.There are probably many more sites like this in the uk its just a matter of being willing to search areas that we think have no historical significance.
I would be a very happy man to dig a George III

Yep, in the future Cladd coin finds are going to become fewer and fewer. Fresh drop finds already becoming scarce. The US goverment is way ahead of getting rid of the penny their working on getting rid of using all coins. Plastic, the young not being taught how to count, vender prices rounded to the dollar among some of the reasons. Can you think in the future, hunters coming home with 3-4 Cladd coins and wow 1 quarter was a 1965. It's going to happen. Heck when we do find pennies today most of them are rotted beyond use. I still like hunting but I'm noticing it's getting to be a thrill breaking a dollar and scoring a junk ring.
Unlike some hobbys you are not dealing with replaceable objects so you could argue that mding is dying. I know it has to be more about quality than quantity especially with coins. This is why it increasingly has to be about research or committing oneself to digging out small super trashy sites where good stuff can still be found. I have also begun more jewelry hunting. A few clad everytime aint worth it. I have some friends who will only do coins in cleaner sites and they will finally run out.

To lose coins, people have to:
  1. Carry coins to begin with
  2. Be there
  3. Engage in activities that involve reaching into their pockets, wallets or purses.
In the past 10-15 years there's been a steep decline in all 3. People spend more time in front of TVs and computers instead of going places, they use less cash, and when they do, they tend to just drop all coins into tip jar or panhandler's hat.
As a result, in 2022 your best bet for modern coin shooting would be communities that prefer dealing in cash.

Just had one of my favorite sites a high school football field dating back to the 1920’s covered in artificial turf .🤦🏼‍♂️🥲