Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So while beach hunting, always getting stopped for questions about machines and detecting.

Dancer

In the past I tried to be helpful, until usually it turns out to be a waste of time. First thing I ask them is how serious they are ? So they look at me wanting to know what I mean. I mean that decent machines start at around $275. and up from there. Plus accessories, another couple hundred or so. And do you have a lot of time? So, How much are you interested? That really starts to thin the pack. Another question I get sometimes, Is that a good machine? How much did it cost? Well without even naming a price , I say well it's for Sale. All of a sudden, no interest. There are occasions a truly interested person comes by and I try to help them out. You can tell when someone is going to be a big waste of time tho. And at 71 there's not a whole lot to waste.

I started detecting from about 5:00am and getting out around10:00 am when people start showing up. You easly waste an hour before you know it.

I stopped going detecting during the day at my beaches years ago because of that. They’d ask the same questions. .. What is your best find? How much do they cost ?...Is it worth it?...I’m usually hesitant to answer those questions because, I fear it will lead to more competition on my spots...I’ve noticed over recent years that the hobby is growing in my area....I blame YouTube users for that!....Too much information out there is only hurting ourselves!!

I detect when I want. Baches I hit early. But when people come up and ask good questions i'll talk to them. But when I get stupid questions ,I keep quiet , I can't hear, you know earphones. When they ask what I found, I never show the the good stuff. One time years ago I was detecting the dry sand , filling in my holes when this old bag comes up and starts raising her voice that this is a family beach, oh yeah the beach was Rehobeth in Delaware. I showed her the can slaw and fish hooks I found and told her I was cleaning the hurtfull junk from the beach. She liked that, but walked away dumbfounded. Ya gotta love it.:detecting:

I will answer a few questions. Then put my headphones back on and tell them to have a nice day as i have "Work" to do.
Me to, if there kids I point to my headphones and say in a load voice "I can't hear you"
Now if it's a pretty lady I might help her out with some lessons on how the detector works & swinging technique, the correct way to dig a hole and stuff:cool:

Wear headphones and I keep my head down saves me all the time from talking to anyone
Mark

Me to, if there kids I point to my headphones and say in a load voice "I can't hear you"
Now if it's a pretty lady I might help her out with some lessons on how the detector works & swinging technique, the correct way to dig a hole and stuff:cool:
And filling the hole correctly lol.

I stop and chat for a bit, especially if they are kids. I'll drop a coin or something and let them hear the signals. I once had two little kids follow me. I finally hit on something and let one of them dig it up. Luckily it was a quarter. Now the other little kid wants one too. I had a quarter in my pocket and threw it ahead of me when they weren't looking. Off we went. Now they both had quarters. Made their day. From running a rock and mineral museum for a number of years I found the little kids the most curious so I never ignore them even now. you never know when you will have a profound affect on them.

I actually enjoy talking to people who are interested or curious. COVID has had an effect and not as many people stop to talk nowadays. I give my Matchbox cars to kids too and I carry a few replica coins, pirate treasure, to give to nice kids. I get all the usual questions too as indicated above. I have had many people thank me for my time. A lot of times the person will say that they have a detector too. What kind I ask. Most cannot even tell me lol. Our hobby has a lot of benefits and like most everything, some drawbacks as well. HH!

Over in England people are very reserved and rarely disturb you if you have your headphones on.....most would consider it rude.You generally have to make eye contact with someone and give them a smile before they will approach to ask a question.Generally i find that telling people how hard it is to find good stuff and showing them a handfull of the usual rubbish such as ring pulls,foil and other dross convinces them that metal detecting isn't for them.I have had some nice chats to people though so itisn't always a negative thing.