Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Software Upgradability . . . . .

Andy Sabisch

Sorry for a duplicate post but I felt this might be lost as a reply to another thread . . . . . .

Several people have mentioned the Software Upgradaiblity option that has been listed as a feature in the literature. It will be interesting to see how this option is implemented. During the E-Trac development, software was in fact sent to those involved in the program as files which we simply uploaded with an interface that was provided but when the software reached the release level, that option was removed and the software locked down. The concern was loss of the code which is why much of the FBS circuit is in fact not patented. So the question will be what is offered / provided in the software upgrades; i.e., user interface options only or will Minelab will wiling to actually make FBS changes available to the public? It also raises the question of cost . . . . there is no mention as to the cost - if any - for this option.

Other companies have experimented with upgradibility without replacement over the years with varying levels of success going back to White's in the 1990's - some 20 years ago. First Texas offered software upgrades for a charge on some of their models as changes were found to be warranted. XP Metal Detectors offers this option at no charge on the Deus which removes the fear of buying a high-end detector and finding out a subsequent change has made your purchase obsolete or at least less effective than the current model.

Storing additional data such as ground balance readings, target ID values, etc. would require onboard memory storage and since there does not appear to be a slot for a memory card, if extra memory was not built into the circuit upfront, saving large amounts of data may not be an option even of the software could be changed to gather it.

Andy Sabisch

This is one of the features I'm most excited by. The options are really quite endless. Not only can they fine tune the machine if need be but now due to user feedback they can make the CTX3030 even better. I mean when a machine is released and used over the first few months, the engineers get feedback that some of the time I think they couldn't have imagined. So, to add little but powerful features here and there, or quite a bit more, is now do-able from you PC!

We know that manufacturers watch the forums so over the next few months it will be nice to see what people are saying and for Minelab to implement some of the more popular and or beneficial ideas.

Regarding cost of upgrades - Don't even think about it Minelab. (Follow the Deus' lead) Seriously, the machine will cost enough as it is. Don't smack the flagship down by charging more for upgraded software. :starwars:

Albert

I am also excited about the software being upgradable. As a software system in a stand alone device becomes more and more complex you almost have to allow for updates. In most cases it is not realistic that the first release of any very complex software system will be 100% bug free and over time there could be improvements, new features, etc.

This also helps protect Minelab from the potential expenses associated with software related warranty service. Think about how much time and money it would cost for Minelab to update machines individually if many need to be shipped back to a service facility due to software bug. With user upgradable software they can simply release the update and spread the word.