Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

soil mineral content?

gunwolf

is there a simple answer to what the mineral content of my soil is here in upstate SC? I have tried researching numerous times to come away dumb founded... I need a site that is friendly to "dummies" like me that don't speak 8 years of college with a science degree...
I know just by how my detector reacts in certain locations that it is mineralized to some extent... it would help to know so I can make settings and coil choices before hitting a spot... thanks.

is there a simple answer to what the mineral content of my soil is here in upstate SC? I have tried researching numerous times to come away dumb founded... I need a site that is friendly to "dummies" like me that don't speak 8 years of college with a science degree...
I know just by how my detector reacts in certain locations that it is mineralized to some extent... it would help to know so I can make settings and coil choices before hitting a spot... thanks.
Its been a few years back ,, and i haven't been able to find it since ,, but might not be exactly what you're looking for,, maybe someone else will chime in with some answers for ya. But I found a website that listed every mine that was ever listed across the country. Gold ,silver , copper , sulphates , anything that had ever had a claim filed on it. It would even give you coordinates so you could pinpoint it . But it would give you an idea of what could be in the ground in your area , if there was ever a claim filed there. Im sure you should be able to find something somewhere in your county's geological map. But how to find it is above my paygrade.
I did notice the dirt in a pic you posted in another post ,, that that old red clay looked awful familiar,, then i see in this post I was pretty damned close ,, exactly what area of upstate SC are you in ?? I'm not far across your northern border in NC . If I could get time,, we should try and put a hunt together,, i could use some pointers in this detecting field .
Hope some of that web stuff helps you some in finding your soil info.

Its been a few years back ,, and i haven't been able to find it since ,, but might not be exactly what you're looking for,, maybe someone else will chime in with some answers for ya. But I found a website that listed every mine that was ever listed across the country. Gold ,silver , copper , sulphates , anything that had ever had a claim filed on it. It would even give you coordinates so you could pinpoint it . But it would give you an idea of what could be in the ground in your area , if there was ever a claim filed there. Im sure you should be able to find something somewhere in your county's geological map. But how to find it is above my paygrade.
I did notice the dirt in a pic you posted in another post ,, that that old red clay looked awful familiar,, then i see in this post I was pretty damned close ,, exactly what area of upstate SC are you in ?? I'm not far across your northern border in NC . If I could get time,, we should try and put a hunt together,, i could use some pointers in this detecting field .
Hope some of that web stuff helps you some in finding your soil info.
just outside Spartanburg... about 25 minutes from the border of NC . yep... the dreaded red clay! some spots I hunt have sandy dark soil and others have the red soil... I just can't seem to dig anything deep with the big coils in the red soil... auto is on about 10, and I usually run between 14 and 20... if I put the small coil on I run at 28 but I know I'm losing depth... I'm up for a hunt anytime... I have my "public" spots here... hunted out they say:LOL:... pulled two silvers yesterday from a very trashy spot near the fairgrounds.

Local university or college can be a huge help with those questions.....