Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some basic advice on hunting Gold Jewelry

Dancer

No secrets here. But maybe a little refresher. Last year, I managed 3 Gold rings from parks I hunt. And one dandy from wading salt water. These four were after a little over a 2 yr. dry spell. The three park rings all came from hunted out ball field areas. I mean so hunted out, be hard to dig a dozen pull tabs out of them. Quiet. But there they were. Can't think of any reason except I happened to swing my coil over them. So I'm zero for 2021 and I hunt a lot at least 4 times a week So taking things for granted can be a reason for this. Among many. I did this yesterday. Air tested 2 light a one medium weight Gold rings on two machines I'm alternating with. Both banged the Heavy one no problem. Both needed a little tweeking to even consider digging. So I got that patched up. Here's the catch. These light gold signals (as many know) are right in the wheel house for most tiny bits of light Alum and other pieces of trash. As if we don't dig enough trash. Any other tips, insights anyone can offer are badly needed.
Dancer

I know with the F75 if its a tab or folded up foil I get chirp noise as the coil comes off target. So far this has been an accurate indication of trash. What still frustrates me is the tab that hits more nickel than tab and out comes a tab. Even the digital numbers are nickel so thinking maybe some tabs are a bit thicker and thats why. I hit a big ball field/slash dog park yesterday and came out with 5 nickels, something I’ve not done for awhile. Tone was crystal clear as compared to trash items.
When I dug the two mens 14k rings last year I thought I was going in for nickels so......

Gold got scarce when the price jumped good while ago. Except for a heavy HS class ring I dug at a good 6 inches last year nearly all my gold rings are fairly shallow. Not more than 5 inches. I've got two school soccer fields that I've dug a gang of coins and some Silver items too threw the years. Who knows how much trash, but no gold. There's still coins and trash in these fields. Keep telling myself there's got to be a Gold ring there somewhere.

Interesting Ron, 5 nickles in a day, I call that a record congrats, Its been a long time since I've owned a fisher, I think my last one was a 441. But I agree with tones, Love my equinox for that, most nickles are a distinctive low tone, except for the 2 war nickles I dug recently, could have sworn I had a clad dime, and one was just 2 inches but black as coal and covered in a 1/4 inch of crud, it will take a lifetime to clean, the other was 12 inches, same park nice and clean. Rings either silver or gold will ring any number, so I dig everything.

I pretty much doin't turf hunt for gold, but I do dig all nickel range readings and zinc and cents, too. Typically, that gets me 4-6 gold rings a year. And so far this year I've gotten two. 1 was a 14k band that locked on 30 on my F 75. The other was a 10k class ring that read in the zinc range, also with the F 75. HH Jim tn

I’ve gotta agree with Ronstar.. I’ve found several thru the years in places that were littered with aluminum and the only thing that made me chase was clean signal with solid numbers..the garbage crackles and usually gives various numbers..
im surprised you found gold rings in hunted out areas as usually find most in trashy areas..

No secrets here. But maybe a little refresher. Last year, I managed 3 Gold rings from parks I hunt. And one dandy from wading salt water. These four were after a little over a 2 yr. dry spell. The three park rings all came from hunted out ball field areas. I mean so hunted out, be hard to dig a dozen pull tabs out of them. Quiet. But there they were. Can't think of any reason except I happened to swing my coil over them. So I'm zero for 2021 and I hunt a lot at least 4 times a week So taking things for granted can be a reason for this. Among many. I did this yesterday. Air tested 2 light a one medium weight Gold rings on two machines I'm alternating with. Both banged the Heavy one no problem. Both needed a little tweeking to even consider digging. So I got that patched up. Here's the catch. These light gold signals (as many know) are right in the wheel house for most tiny bits of light Alum and other pieces of trash. As if we don't dig enough trash. Any other tips, insights anyone can offer are badly needed.
Dancer
Ok the jewelry program I designed is only for the Deus but you make me able to get some good results using your machine by comparing all good stuff against junk. That what i did. To make a long story short I have a lot of rings gold and silver most of which were my moms. I compared the tdm #s which of course run everywhere with really small pieces of aluminum. When I set my machine on 28 which is good on both gold and silver I found the sweet spot where I could notch the small pieces of Al while retaining the great majority of jewelry even the small stuff. The only down side is you may still lose really small gold chains unless you increase your frequency. I understand the eq may do better on small chains. But if you increase frequency will probably p/u AL again. Of course you would have to test small al with a number of gold pieces to see where to best set your machine.

I’ve gotta agree with Ronstar.. I’ve found several thru the years in places that were littered with aluminum and the only thing that made me chase was clean signal with solid numbers..the garbage crackles and usually gives various numbers..
im surprised you found gold rings in hunted out areas as usually find most in trashy areas..
Bootyhound About 5 years ago I stopped at a well hunted ball field. Started at first base toward third. Lot of silence. Not even a tab. Worked my way to the outfield. Not even a cent. Eerie. Well close to the left field fence, bang. Girls gold ring. Hunted back to my Truck. Nothing else. About a year later talking to a guy. Said he and two others Gang hunt their local fields. Dig everything.
Raw luck?

Ok the jewelry program I designed is only for the Deus but you make me able to get some good results using your machine by comparing all good stuff against junk. That what i did. To make a long story short I have a lot of rings gold and silver most of which were my moms. I compared the tdm #s which of course run everywhere with really small pieces of aluminum. When I set my machine on 28 which is good on both gold and silver I found the sweet spot where I could notch the small pieces of Al while retaining the great majority of jewelry even the small stuff. The only down side is you may still lose really small gold chains unless you increase your frequency. I understand the eq may do better on small chains. But if you increase frequency will probably p/u AL again. Of course you would have to test small al with a number of gold pieces to see where to best set your machine.
and what settings do you use on the deus, I now have 3 coils.

I was recently asked if i would look for a white gold wedding band. It belonged to a lady's deceased EX-husband and her Daughter wore her Daddy's ring. Apparently it was lost at a middle school that the young lady attends.

I have hit that yard twice so far for a few hours each time. Since the ring has only been lost for about three months i have lowered the sensitivity on my machine so that i am only detecting fairly shallow targets. And the ground is almost as hard as asphalt.

I have cleaned a lot of trash out of that school yard and a few dollars in clad (might as well get something for my efforts) and i have a large area yet to cover.

I have had two people help me search and no gold ring so far.

I have permission to detect the yard any time school is not in session from the Principal of the school. Most SC schools are fenced with locked gates. This is one of the few areas that are not fenced (YET).

This year has been my best year to date with gold so far I'm digging all good solid signals 12 on the nox has been good one gold ring and a 22gram chain..
Mark