Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some kind of plug

IowaRelic

AA8E4F3B-0715-4D0E-BC85-B3E69F4A50CE.jpeg

It’s either zinc or pewter. Has a leather seal at the bottom. Handle appears to have been beaten on pretty good. Found with some early flat buttons, an 8 Reale , and some other old bits.

Agree with fyrffyter. Looks like a drain plug to me too. Threads allow it to open a little or a lot. The leather seal would make it water tight when fully closed. Just spit balling. Not sure of its exact function. An interesting old find Iowa.

Didnt the old hot water registers used to heat homes have a drain plug on them ?

Appears to be zinc or pewter. Has that layered gray colors and flaking apart. I’m not a plumber or a marine guy but I’m thinking is more along the lines of a keg plug or perhaps a drain for a cistern. There are homes down here from pre war that have above ground rain collection from gutters. They were large wooden vats to hold the water. Perhaps they had a drain like this. The density and texture is very similar to a artillery fuse igniter I found a couple months back. I really am not sure what it is.

Appears to be zinc or pewter. Has that layered gray colors and flaking apart. I’m not a plumber or a marine guy but I’m thinking is more along the lines of a keg plug or perhaps a drain for a cistern. There are homes down here from pre war that have above ground rain collection from gutters. They were large wooden vats to hold the water. Perhaps they had a drain like this. The density and texture is very similar to a artillery fuse igniter I found a couple months back. I really am not sure what it is.
I have no clue what they are either, but I think we can both agree both pieces are exactly the same.
I found mine about eight years ago... been wondering what is is since.
When I saw your post, I recognized it immediately.

I have no clue what they are either, but I think we can both agree both pieces are exactly the same.
I found mine about eight years ago... been wondering what is is since.
When I saw your post, I recognized it immediately.
Was yours found amongst other items from the early-mid 1800s?

🧐. I helped move some out of an old house once and they had to drain them. They weren’t the steam type but the hot water style. One would have to get that water out somehow, correct???

🧐. I helped move some out of an old house once and they had to drain them. They weren’t the steam type but the hot water style. One would have to get that water out somehow, correct???
I never saw any that has drains on them.
They had a vent plug ear the top to remove air.
When we removed or repaired them, we would drain the water from a point lower than the radiator like a basement.
Or sometimes take the pipe fitting loose to drain.

Was yours found amongst other items from the early-mid 1800s?
Yes.
There was a reservoir built around this house site in 1912.
I’m sure the house was not occupied after that.
I found items dating back to the Civil war around it, and one pre civil war button too.
All coins found were pre 1900.
This site is under water now, but I managed to get a few nice finds out before the water level was raised in the reservoir.
I thought the piece that I found was lead due to its weight, but may be wrong.

View attachment 13732
It’s either zinc or pewter. Has a leather seal at the bottom. Handle appears to have been beaten on pretty good. Found with some early flat buttons, an 8 Reale , and some other old bits.
Is there a screw hole in the bottom?

Is there a screw hole in the bottom?
No screw or screw hole on the bottom of mine either.
I think the leather washer is still on mine too after looking at the one Iowarelic found.
It appears there was a post and after the washer was placed on it, the post was mashed to keep the washer in place.

Here is the one I found......
Hopefully someone can ID them for us.
I am thinking it is part of of a keg spout of some sort.
View attachment 13794
This is close:
!spigot.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 4.34.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 4.34.28 PM.png

From the link below:

ANTIQUE 19TH C. CAST PEWTER KEG BARREL SPIGOT​

Little cast pewter barrel or keg spigot - numbers and letters on shaft are too worn to read. 4" long. T shaped key handle unscrews out completely. A cork insert at its tip provided the on/off function. Mid 19th century.