Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some more VX3 questions

Daugela

RE: VX3

#1 - When operating in MIXED mode, if the unit can discriminate a target, does it automatically shut off the AM mode and stay in the DISC mode? Not sure if that makes sense. From my understanding of the MXT, it operates like this.

#2 - Please give me examples of when you guys use the single frequency mode. I read the posts about deep silver in 2.5, turning down the RX, turning on the TX, but since the VX3 doesn't have the boost, when is it best to use single instead of multiple?

#3 - Despite reading every thread on the DISC sensitivity, I'm still not quite understanding it. If I run the RX at say, 10 and the DISC at 55, would it be the same if I lowered my RX to say 8 but raised the DISC to 65?

Daugela said:
RE: VX3

#1 - When operating in MIXED mode, if the unit can discriminate a target, does it automatically shut off the AM mode and stay in the DISC mode? Not sure if that makes sense. From my understanding of the MXT, it operates like this. It shuts off when the Disc picksup the target.

#2 - Please give me examples of when you guys use the single frequency mode. In some soil the optimized single frequency will be deeper. Sometimes a single frequency can be used in high EMI when 3 frequency won't work. In some soil the optimized single frequency will be deeper.
I read the posts about deep silver in 2.5, turning down the RX, turning on the TX, but since the VX3 doesn't have the boost, when is it best to use single instead of multiple? Turning down RX and turning on boost is used to beat a EMI problem.

#3 - Despite reading every thread on the DISC sensitivity, I'm still not quite understanding it. If I run the RX at say, 10 and the DISC at 55, would it be the same if I lowered my RX to say 8 but raised the DISC to 65?I can't say if those exact numbers would or would not without testing them.

Did you read this?
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1851868

Rx adjusts the signal going to the box from the coil. This means it adjusts AM and Disc (motion).
Disc sensitivity just adjusts the Disc (motion mode).

Rx adjusts the signal going to the box from the coil. This means it adjusts AM and Disc (motion).
Disc sensitivity just adjusts the Disc (motion mode).

I'm still not getting it. I don't know why? I completely get the RX, but not the DISC. How or why is DISC adjusted if it's essentially adjusted with the RX?

From what I know about MM, yes, the discrimination channel will override AM in the VX3. With the V3i, we have MM Stereo as well where we will get AM in one ear and the Discrimination channel in the other ear at the same time.

Some people will use single frequency 2.5 to get a little more depth or 22.5 when hunting just small gold jewelry or prospecting but I have never hunted in single frequency, I enjoy the added target ID features of three frequency.

The only reason I can think of by lowering the RX and raising the Sensitivity is if you are experiencing EMI, that might help otherwise I run RX at 12 and sensitivity as high as I can and maintain stability.

The RX gain amplifies all incoming signals and once the signals have gone through some filters and divided into the AM channel and Discrimination channel, the Sensitivity adjustment will allow you to fine tune each channel separately to suit your specific needs.

Larry (IL) said:
I run RX at 12 and sensitivity as high as I can and maintain stability.

Ok. So if you turn up your RX to 12, do you have to turn up the DISC? What if your turn up RX to 12 but NOT run the sensitivity as high as you could go while maintaining stability? What's the point of running up the DISC? I think this answer might help me understand what the DISC is for. If I plan on keeping the machine, I want to know what these functions are for, otherwise, if I just run in standard mode all the time, what good is having all the bells and whistles?

I was very successful today at the park in C and J mode. Want to start tinkering. I adjusted the DISC and couldn't sense a difference. I'm sure it's doing something.

Larry (IL) said:
The RX gain amplifies all incoming signals and once the signals have gone through some filters and divided into the AM channel and Discrimination channel, the Sensitivity adjustment will allow you to fine tune each channel separately to suit your specific needs.

This makes more sense! I guess the next question is understanding why I would fine tune the DISC..

Discrimination Sensitivity will allow you to control how much depth you want in the discrimination channel. All Metal Sensitivity will allow you to adjust the All Metal channel separately. That is something that you can not do with just the RX Gain. This might not be of any importance to you, you can adjust the RX Gain up and down if you want to but I leave the RX at 12 and adjust the Disc Sensitivity to the ground conditions.

There might be other reasons to better use the Gain, AM Sens and Disc Sens, but in my ground, I don't have the need.

Larry (IL) said:
but I leave the RX at 12 and adjust the Disc Sensitivity to the ground conditions.

Next question. What dictates your DISC adjustment to your ground conditions? What is your ground doing or what are you observing that would cause you to adjust your DISC?

Rx Gain
Rx Gain (sometimes called preamp gain) sets the gain of the receiver

Rob (IL) said:
[attachment 257257 lowdisc.jpg]
[attachment 257258 highdisc.jpg]
[attachment 257259 2013-02-16_182838.jpg]

This chart makes sense. Thank you. Seems you want to run the DISC as high as possible. Why would you want to run it lower? When will you know you've exceeded the DISC sens? I assume the closer the DISC to the RX, the unit becomes unstable? This will sound stupid, but what are some symptoms for and unstable machine with the DISC too high?

Setting this too high will cause noise and falsing in the discrimination audio.

You have to read the sensitivity section of your manual, its all there starting on page 3-4 of your manual.

Rob (IL) said:
You have to read the sensitivity section of your manual, its all there starting on page 3-4 of your manual.

I know. I've read it several times over before posting these questions. Sometimes manuals can't explain things as well as first hand experience from other detectorists.

I tried, and don't know what else I can explain. Good luck.

Rob (IL) said:
I tried, and don't know what else I can explain. Good luck.

I know you did. Don't take my comment the wrong way. I just need to keep tinkering with it and see how it reacts differently with the settings adjusted.

Seems like when I get a good hit in the standard C and J mode, I will adjust the DISC to see how that "good hit" is affected. Figured by seeing the difference in adjustments, a light bulb would go off in my head. Even with the DISC adjusted to both extremes, there's no difference in hits. When I find a questionable hit, I do the same but still don't see or hear a difference. I guess I'll keep at it.

Something just don't make sense here, you are talking about the Discrimination Sensitivity adjustment? No changes from one extreme to the other? You should have erratic operation or even constant overload with it turned all the way up and turned down all the way, you would be lucky to get a couple of inches in depth. You can test this with air testing.

I'm going to go into DEMO mode and test this. I will keep it stock, then do a test with DISC all the way up and all the way down.

Let's see what happens. Wonder if the unit is damaged. Ran perfect in stock C and J yesterday at the park though.

Let me get this right before I post the results. Just did it.

With the DISC all the way up or all the way down, I should get some kind of feedback? overload, etc?

If you are air testing increasing disc the target will be seen at a greater distance. Decreasing disc the target will be seen at a shorter distance. Increasing disc indoors too high may cause flasing from EMI.

Ok. Check out my test. Each swipe was done about 4 inches from coil. No difference. Maybe I should go further out.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0gBGjz6fZw[/video]