Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Something I was not aware of...:shrug:

pacer

Reading in another post, Nuke em commented that a company named Cordan purchased Minelab.

Yep, that was when Minelab manufacturing was moved to Malaysia

Jason in Enid said:

Like companies that have shareholders they cut back the best staff , and dont invest properly . They are more interested in paying dividends to shareholders and top bosses .
They send their companies manufacturing to cheap labour countries . But the standards can end up cheap too.

Codan buying Minelab was a big mistake for all us Minelab lovers .

Nuke em said:
Jason in Enid said:

Like companies that have shareholders they cut back the best staff , and dont invest properly . They are more interested in paying dividends to shareholders and top bosses .
They send their companies manufacturing to cheap labour countries . But the standards can end up cheap too.

Codan buying Minelab was a big mistake for all us Minelab lovers .

Well, I know that a lot of people felt that way at the time of the buyout and moreso when the manufacturing was moved. The last 8 years haven't really shown that fear to be founded. It's about a decades since codan bought minelab and about 8 since manufacturing moved. Minelab is still producing great detectors and still doing top research into new technology. Build quality hasnt suffered suffered since moving plants, and Minelab is selling more detectors now that ever before. It seems like a win/win

DigImust said:
Did they quit manufacturing their machines in Ireland too?

yes

https://www.minelab.com/anz/consumer/knowledge-base/history

"Since December 2009, the Codan Group’s manufacturing service provider, Plexus Corp, a US company, situated in Penang, Malaysia has been responsible for the majority of Minelab’s worldwide metal detector production. Minelab is proud of its association with its outsource partner in Malaysia. Genuine Minelab metal detectors are exclusively manufactured by Minelab in Australia and by Plexus Corp, USA in the Malaysian facility."

I think that if anything ,Minelab benefited from being taken over by Codan.

david di

david.di said:

"Since December 2009, the Codan Group’s manufacturing service provider, Plexus Corp, a US company, situated in Penang, Malaysia has been responsible for the majority of Minelab’s worldwide metal detector production. Minelab is proud of its association with its outsource partner in Malaysia. Genuine Minelab metal detectors are exclusively manufactured by Minelab in Australia and by Plexus Corp, USA in the Malaysian facility."

david di

According to that, they still have manufacturing in Australia. I had read that Malaysia was now their only location. I'll have to look into it further, just for my own curiosity.

I don't think any company is better taken over. It usually means cut to staff or lack of investment . In terms of staff that happened in minelab . Des Dunne for one and the Irish business.
Minelab has lost a lot of experience through that and it shows after the success of the Deus and for so long a lack of Minelab response. Almost as slow as an Explorer !
Sorry . I love the Explorer.

I have to laugh because before he posted it no one even knew and didn't say anything about minelab and how they are doomed.

david.di said:

david di

Got a feeling executives and stockholders are going to do well in 2018. It appears they are waiting to release the Equinox until then. Can't even imagine the number of pre orders that have been placed. As I recall there was a little bit of a wait when E Tracs hit the market.