Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sometimes You Just Have A Bad Day - Nothing Goes Right

tabman

I met up with Taylor and his dad at a rental house to do some detecting. I got smoked by Taylor and his dad found some silver as well. I couldn't get nothing going right. I was tired and wore out and couldn't get in the zone. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2205375 After we finished detecting the rental house we went our separate ways around noon. It gets worse, much worse. I decided to try another location and work the grassy area along a long strip of sidewalk in front of an old church. As hard as I tried, I couldn't find a coin and I was trying my best. I looked up and saw a bum coming in my direction. He was having trouble staying on the sidewalk and would take two steps forward and one step backwards. It took him forever to cover 75 yards. When we did finally meet up, while he was holding a beer with a drunken look, he stated that he wasn't crazy, he said he just looks that way. He asked me what I was looking for and I told him coins. He staggered past me and about ten yards further down the sidewalk he bends over and picks up something and walks back and shows me a quarter that had been hit by a lawn mover. I told him he had some really good eyes. He staggers off again and goes about 20 yards or so further down the sidewalk and bends over and picks up something else. He staggers back and shows me a 1976 Elizabeth II Australian dollar coin. He asked me if it was worth anything and I told him that it was worth a buck, maybe two at the most. He said would you give $3.00 dollars for it to get some chicken. I agreed and handed him the money. When a drunk without a metal detector smokes me finding coins I knew right then and there that it was time for me to go home. It just wasn't my day.

tabman

Australian%20Coin%20001_zps7wrfixwo.jpg
Australian%20Coin%20002_zpsjpgxby04.jpg

Isn't that the truth Tab........:rofl:

It will take you NO time to bounce back - before we know it you'll find a place that will give up rings, silver quarters, Indians, and who knows what else...:biggrin:

We all (I think) have those days. A friend and I went to one of the local beaches. After covering a number of city blocks of beach we didn't have enough clad to buy a beer. Even pull tabs were very elusive. I came home with 40 cents in clad and tired legs. It will get better.

Hey it happens to the best of us. I wonder about a guy who doesn't get skunked once in awhile.:confused:

Sometimes it takes a different view. We are so focused on finding coins that we sometimes look right over things that are in front of us. The drunk you encountered gave us that lesson for the day. At least (hopefully) you helped an inebriated individual buy a chicken dinner. Although a nice cold beer on this muggy day would go down really nice right about now :cheers:

isn't that the truth LOL.2 years ago I was at a near by park, was too dry to dig so where they drain the pool was wet ground.one of the workers there that knows me stopped to see if I had found anything yet. I said just a little change we talked for awhile and said guess he was going over to pick some large cups some one left on the ground could hear him laughing and he motioned for me .I went over there & he pointed at the cups there was a folded 20 dollar bill laying there . that's my luck. :surrender:

You know, mudpuppy has away about finding good stuff. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2204728

I guess I need to ask him what kind of beer he drinks.

tabman

Sorry you had a subpar day but that was a very funny story...i can picture some otis campbell looking guy staggering down the sidewalks. .. might want do some air tests to see if your unit is working right.... some times we just try too hard.... better luck next time....

:lmfao::rofl: Man! Thats funny there! Maybe you and him should team up?

Let him wander around and just follow him? He seems to be born under a lucky star...Imagine, drinking all day, not working, eating chicken, and finding money laying all over the place! I cant imagine a better existence! :rofl:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
....He seems to be born under a lucky star....

Imagine if this guy sobered up and got himself a metal detector!

Had a co-worker who got me started in metal detecting decades ago.
To say he had the 'instinct' is an understatement. Its as though he had X-ray vision and knew exactly what spot to sweep his detector.
Walking along the beach one time, he eye-ball'd a few coins and one gold ring as i remember all while i was swinging my detector and finding nothing but a couple pieces of junk.

Some people just got 'it' and some like me, its a still a work in progress.

I think it's time to get my Genie back out and do some serious rubbing.

tabman

geese you really did have a bad day beat up and scammed by a drunk its a 20 cent coin :poke:

sorry just got a shock when I opened the thread and seen 2 bob in all its glory and then read your story and started cacking myself laughing :lmfao:

but thank you for sharing it made me smile :jump:

if it makes you feel any better I found a zinc penny the other day and thought of you guys :poke:

shame it wasn't a 1966 wavy 2 20 cent coin you for sure would have had the last laugh in that condition about 3 or 400 bucks so never knock back a drunk offering 20 cent coins is the moral of the story :clapping:

AJ

A 20 cent coin! :crylol::rofl:

I bet that sneaky tosspot had a whole pocket full of them and pretended to find it!! I wonder if I can mount a beer can holder on the sides of my headphones, you know, the one with the hose from can to mouth? That way a guy could drink all day and detect too! Would be a step up from just wandering around eyeballing...this old tosspot really makes a guy evaluate a wasted life working.!...

Amberjack, you should try to sell that American penny down at the pub for a pint! After all, fair is fair, figure shipping to get a penny to Australia and all...

Yeah, Tab, give that genie a furious rubbing and start carrying her along too! :rofl: She really worked for you last year! :clapping:
Mud

YA know tab............. I know for a fact we all have bad days, and then we have terrible days.

I now know TN. isn't loaded with silver just waiting for a detector to find it. I was starting to feel bad because I have a lot of those no days..and just about every TN post has silver in it..

I was even thinking about asking Fisher to send me one those " Special Tuned TN Detectors" all you guys use down there....:rofl:.....:csflag:

Thanks for a refreshing, and funny story .......... and I'm sure that guy enjoyed his "Beer" I mean chicken you bought him..LOL

mudpuppy said:
A 20 cent coin! :crylol::rofl:

I bet that sneaky tosspot had a whole pocket full of them and pretended to find it!! I wonder if I can mount a beer can holder on the sides of my headphones, you know, the one with the hose from can to mouth? That way a guy could drink all day and detect too! Would be a step up from just wandering around eyeballing...this old tosspot really makes a guy evaluate a wasted life working.!...

Amberjack, you should try to sell that American penny down at the pub for a pint! After all, fair is fair, figure shipping to get a penny to Australia and all...

Yeah, Tab, give that genie a furious rubbing and start carrying her along too! :rofl: She really worked for you last year! :clapping:
Mud

now why didn't I think of that mud swap a penny for a beer :biggrin: I chucked it guess that drunk is smarter than me, they might look dumb on the outside but the brain is ticking over all the time :beers:

I have found several zincs even a couple of wheat pennies a quarter or 2 I think not silver though, never know what coming out hey :unsure:

fun story though loved it !!

AJ

bootyhoundpa said:
Sorry you had a subpar day but that was a very funny story...i can picture some otis campbell looking guy staggering down the sidewalks. .. might want do some air tests to see if your unit is working right.... some times we just try too hard.... better luck next time....

Yep I can see that too Booty..and if a Barney Fife Had showed up ...LOL Now that would have been funny...

You had a metal detector that day Tab, it just happened to be a human one.

Nice finds!