Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sounds?

Steve, I think you are correct. I have often used the DFX to compare what I see and hear with the Explorer. The DFX has wrap around from VDI -95 and +95. One example of this, I think, is the way some Indian Heads will jump from the upper left to the upper right of the screen. I more or less see the screen as a cylinder much like we fold a sheet of paper. The right side and left side representing the most ferrous to the least ferrous. It appears to me that soil minerals are primarily responsible for this wrap around. A target does not produce a single response, time constant, but has properties of low, medium, and high ones. The microprocessor not only has to account for these but all targets in the target volume.

There are not 1024 different sounds which can be confusing since that is the number of notches of discrimination or pixels on the screen used for discrimination.

If you are thinking of 31 X 31 for 1024 then realize the same tone pitches are used so in this case it would be 31 pitch tones. We assign conductive or ferrous to the 31 pitches. We don't hear both conductive and ferrous at the same time but one or the other.

Assume the sound is set to conductive. A penny reads 3/28 so we hear a high pitch sound. Assume that iron pulls the reading to 5/28. Since the conductive reading is 28 in both instances the tone pitch is the same. Assume the sound is set to ferrous. Now consider the same reading. Since the ferrous reading is 3 and 5 the 3 will have a higher pitch than the 5 because we are indicating more ferrous. One more, assume these reading with conductive sounds. a penny reads 3/28, 5/27, The conductive sound of 28 will be have a higher pitch than the reading of 27.

If a penny is pulled to the left but has the same conductive reading it will sound the same. If it pulled to the left and down then it will have a lower pitch tone. A penny that hits anywhere in the upper 31 zone that runs all the way across the top of the screen sounds the same. This is why in conductive sounds an Indian Head penny that jumps from the upper left/right has the same high reading. This is the primary reason why I use Ferrous tones. A left/right pull is indicated by the tone pitch in ferrous. An up/down pull is indicated by tone pitch if using conductive sounds.

You have nailed my statement that one cannot go simply by tones. My guess is they don't understand how the tones work so assume they are separating trash from good targets but are in fact walking over a lot of good targets. Minelab knew this which is why the two axis display and digital reading. Tones in conjunction with a visual marker is needed be digital or cross hairs. Why, because there are no difference in 31 highest pitches in conductive. They can be anywhere from left to right in the 31 pitch zone. In comes the nail that sound just like silver but reads 31/31 and a silver haft that reads 0/30 or 0/31. Flat aluminum cans will also read 0/31 but half off the right side of the screen.

Tone pitches are great for a first indication of a good target. I think you will find a second indication of the cross hairs or digital readings will really clear this up.

Have a good one,

Hope this helps,

This does clear things up quite a bit. BUT, why does 31/28 have a very high pitch when in ferrous or conductive? Matt has incountered this also. Thanks

AK in KY

This is a long winded explanation but there is no simple one answer that I know of since there are several variables that will give a digital combination that does not follow the tone.

In ferrous the scale is:

0 Highest Tone
31 Lowest Tone

In Conductive the scale is:

31 Highest Tone
0 Lowest Tone

What is not clear is Conductive is actually Conductive/Size. The size of a target is also a factor in conductive tones. Also, the shape of a target is a factor as is the state of decay of iron. An example is a nail compared to a silver dime. The currents induced into the nail flow around the axis of the nail and down the length of the nail. Unfortunately this causes a nail to look like a silver dime. That is where sweeping from different directions come into play. Lets say and Indian Head jumps from 0/31 to 31/31. We hear a high tone no matter which we use, conductive or ferrous. We would expect a 31/28 to be a very low tone in Ferrous and a high tone in Conductive. Here are some possible answers. If the upper left of the screen is black or set to IM-15 we will see 31/28 but only hear a high tone if the tone jumps. Another example is soil minerals and contamination. In these instances the tone sounds very high but seems to be drawn out such as when using audio1. I have found similar reading where landscaping has been accomplished and very different soil is used. When this happens I reduce the sensitivity and it will almost always clear this up. Also, noise cancel will cause the digital reading to be skewed by several digits which can be observed on the digital screen. In addition I have see these odd reading when a large iron target influences a smaller target closer to the coil. I realize this is hard for some user to do but if the sensitivity is too high we start to get these unstable readings. Most of the time we only need to drop the sensitivity by a few clicks. I have also seen these strange reading when working in the area of stray EMF. The Explorer will become more and more unstable the closer I get to the source. Often I can see the source of the EMF but there are times when I can only see it it hear it by the behavior of the detector. MOST OF THE TIME THE READING ARE VERY SOLID AND PREDICTABLE. Single worst problem I have experienced and found with other I have detected with is trying to run the sensitivity too high. Minelab cautions us to run this as high as we can with STABILITY. Constant unreliable reading and operation is almost a sure indication we have it set too high. We end up getting less depth but since we occasional hit a good deep one think we are better off to have poor stability with maximum sensitivity settings.

I can resolve those strange readings by first going by sound. Pinpoint and locate the exact center of a target. Measure the size of the target and make sure the readings are not being skewed by multiple targets. In particular a larger metal target that is skewing the readings of a smaller target. Sweep the center of the target in motion discrimination. Use the Digital or Smarfind screen to verify the sound and I use the digital screen. I set the Iron Mask screen for -16 and will switch IM ON to isolate targets so discrimination is not a factor. These steps are not all necessary for all targets.

However, odd reading should always be investigated unless we are comfortable they are ground minerals and contamination. Multiple targets very close together can give some very different reading. The microprocessor attempts to present to the user the best information and in the process we become uncertain of what we see and hear.

I normally don't post this but I have verified much of the above by digging to see and also with the DFX using the graph since I can adjust the detector to see the raw data. I have devoted a couple of years to the DFX, Explorer, and Sovereign Elite. I wish I could get them to breed but I guess that is not going to happen. I consider these to be the best of the best for my interest.

Cody,

Maybe I should define what is meant by going by sound. I do totally go by sound. You could cover my LCD except for my battery and sensitivity icons and it would not make any difference to me. What I am not saying is a can tell a dime from a quarter with conduct sounds. That in itself cannot be done because of the sounds are based on the conduct axis. In ferrous you *might* be able to because of the Explorer producing sounds off of the opposite axis. I DO know how tones work... ;) PLEASE tell me how you are NOT going by sound in trash especially when the display will not update until a threshold returns. I am not missing targets but you are. If Minelab knew of a 'problem' with the Explorer they would have worked on the ID updating quicker by allowing the threshold to return. Dual ID helped alot of people for non-trashy areas and the proper ground. But, fact is around here with the mineralization in some of the area I hunt you can walk over alot of coins going by LCD ID alone. You should know that from your outing with your son a few weeks ago with IDs pushing lower.

-Bill

Cody and I differ on opinions on what can and can't be done with the Explorer using sounds. What I am telling you that I do go totally by sounds. What I am not saying is I can tell a dime from a quarter using sounds (see my post to Cody below). I invite anyone that goes total by LCD ID to come to my area for a hunt. I have plenty of areas that I've dug seated coins. Because if I am missing coins I want to SEE it and I want to learn from it. I am always looking for an edge in detecting. I am not a close minded person. End of story. I have tried to teach my hunting buddy to go by sounds. But, he relies too much on his LCD ID. I can triple his finds almost every outing. The other thing I should also comment on is YOUR ground has alot to do with how ANY detector acts in your ground. Deep coins may ID properly in your area.

To answer your questions with MY opinion and experience. The Explorer will produce the correct sound ID tone for a coin if the coin is 'pulled' left. I've also had coins 'pull' to the lower right in the crowncap area and STILL produce the proper coin tone using CONDUCT tones. In ferrous tones, crowncaps sound alot like silver even when the target is a screwcap and not a coin. But, they usually have an slight iron tone at the front and back edge of the coil. Don't forget, as many people do, that the Explorer does NOT update the LCD ID until the threshold returns.

I don't mean this the wrong way as it's not directed at you but this post in general. Take what I am saying with a grain of salt. Whether you listen to what I am saying really make no difference to me. I am only posting information that taught me alot about the Explorer in the past. Alot of the more seasoned people that would validate what I am saying have left this forum because of the BS such as this. I was only trying to help you and have nothing to prove. It can't be done? BS it is being done!!! Keep what I've said in the back of your mind. I have lots of emails thanking me for my help. If I don't know what the heck I am talking about why are people thanking me? Food for thought. Have a good one.

-Bill

Although I'm not a real veteran with the EX, I can tell you that after a few months of using the EX you stop looking at the display. After retrieving hundreds of coins, you learn the sounds of the penny through half. As a coin shooter that's all I need. I DO consult the screen to confirm the hit. Man that coin tone stops you dead in your tracks!!! The screen will also help you discern zinc and pre zinc cents. Ralph

Bill, I don't question that you are able to go by sounds. I enjoy your posts as it is obvious to me that you have mastered the Explorer sounds. I don't think many user are able to do that which is why visual is so often used in conjunction with sounds. I doubt that many user can do that but have no way of knowing since I go by what is posted and the guys I hunt with which by no means tells me what most users can or cannot do.

Here is what I am saying. There are 31 conductive tones with 31 ferrous levels. 0/31 through 31/31 have exactly the same high pitch. If we take each of these such as 0/31 there are an infinite number of targets that can have this ferrous to conductive ratio. This is true for all of the other ferrous/conductive ratios. By sweeping from different direction we can change how the tone sounds based on the symmetry of a coin shaped target. That is one way to tell a high pitch of one targets that reads 0/31 and another one that reads 0/31. So how do we differentiate all 31 tone pitches? We all know that sweeping from different direction is one way. If we look at the display a 0/31 is at the same location on the screen and has the same digital readings and the pitch is exactly the same.

My only suggestion is to add any visual information. As an example we often talk of "lock on" so with a visual display will see the cross hairs or digital reading flicker. Mixed in with the sound we hear we notice other digital reading flickering. Some user can assimilate this into a "tune" that is played by a deep dime next to iron. Other users will hear the tune but are more visual so associate the digital reading that flicker in with the sounds which other will go by how the cross hairs respond.

Some of us are very visual and other great with sounds. I play a keyboard and guitar so am more in the sound group. The older I get the more I need a visual aid. I am suggesting that most users don't seem to be able to simply go by sound so we have the two axis display screens. I don't like to be tied to the screens so go by sound and use the screen "WHEN NEEDED" and that is mostly digital reading to help me decide what the detector is telling me with the sounds.

My guess is the primary complaint with all the users I have seen post on the forums with the Explorer is the problem of sounds. That tells me that most user need a visual reference in conjunction with sounds. When I consider the design of the Explorer it also tells me the engineers think most users need a visual reference. That is why I suggest to new users that they find the combination of sounds and visual information that best works for them and go with it.

Bill, none of this is personal or intended to be so. The difference is not between Cody and Bill but just a normal exchange about differences of opinions. There is nothing new about debating, arguing, and trying to come to a common understanding. No one has to leave or have their idea accepted or rejected. It is just a forum to discuss a hobby detector where user have different opinions. Absolutely no one needs or has to agree with anything I say. That is up to the participants and it does not matter to me one way or the others. Your comments and those of other is are very helpful and appreciated. As I said we are just talking about how to use a hobby detector and all input that is constructive is appreciated.

Cody,

I do not take anything personal. I too, appreciate your insight into the more techy side of detecting. As I said, I am always willing to learn something that make me better at finding coins. I was only using the Bill vs. Cody because that is who is currently trying to prove each of their points. Neither is 'right' per se. But, I do have a problem with blanket statements that it can't be done. Many people that were on this site have taken such statements personal. They were the same people that helped me in the beginning and are no longer posting. To me, when MattR (no offense meant to MattR) says that using sounds is a growing concensus... that shows how far we've reversed direction in information posted on this site. Using sounds is far from being something new. If I am the exception to the rule at being able to use sounds then there were alot of other people on this forum a couple of years ago that were too. Have a good one!

-Bill

Cody,

In the beginning, I would recommend that the user use a combo of LCD ID and sound ID. But, most users will start being able to rely to on sounds ID more. My biggest problem with going with LCD ID is in trashy areas where the threshold doesn't return and the LCD ID doesn't update. So, in a trashy area when the LCD ID is in limbo because of the threshold the sound ID is able to tell you what is under the coil. But, the 'resolution' of sound ID is not what the LCD ID is. But, since the LCD ID is worthless without the threshold sound ID is all you have. I understand what you are saying about the 0/31 through 31/31. If you're working in Iron Mask -10 at least some of those pitches are not going to sound when the coil is over them. Even working in -12 I don't see too much iron 'bleeding' through and sounding off as a good hit. When I am in doubt I always dig as any good detectorist does. If you're trying to 'cherry pick' a site sound ID is NOT the way to go. When I was first learning the Explorer I marked alot of good and bad hits on my display (crosshairs screen) with a marker. I have a transparency over the display. Alot of the more common trash falls into points I have marked on the display. So, alot of the numbers that the Explorer can generate rarely do get generated. I can usually pick out targets that don't fall into those areas I have marked. Take down some numbers of target IDs and see how they group. It's a numbers game. There's not right or wrong in using the Explorer user using either one but realizing their options and using the Explorer to the maximum of his/her potential.

-Bill

Cody
I think you hit it on the head When you said take a guy that Plays Guitar,One that can Tune by Ear or one that Needs a Tuner.
I also Play Guitar and can hear Sounds really well and can Tune a Guitar by just hearing he first string. Most of my Family is this way. But the same holds true for playing a piano, A person that has the ear for it can play any tune almost right away. But someone that don't have an ear for it, Just can't understand how in the world you can do that. But to you it comes natural and you don't think anything of it. I am sure this is why Lots and Lots of people have to use the other screens on the Explorer as well to figure out just what the Explorer is trying to tell them. I go by Sounds also first like Bill says, But after that I switch to Iron mask and sweep again and kinda decide if I should dig or not. Then sometimes I even will look at the other screens to get even more information if I feel I need it. Not all the time, But I have. Just wanted to point this out as far as Sounds heard, They are NOT the same for everyone, As you said.
You Both have very good points and I always enjoy reading them. Keep up the good works. Thanks

I admire the folks that can go by sounds but as you know not many can really tune a guitar right on that way. I have seen guys pick a guitar so fast it simply did not seem possible but could hardly tell you what they were doing when it came to music theory. On the other hand I know guys that can teach theory but man their playing sucks.

Have a good one,

Cody,

You have a good point. I have seen people that are truely amazing in their field. As I said, I am extremely adapt at picking almost anything up. I've self taught myself three different programming languages. Taught myself to fix and repair computers and servers used for the internet. I guess it should have occurred to me that not everyone can go by sounds on the Explorer... :) I've been tutoring my detecting buddy for over three years and he still can't do it. I've even shown him deep coins that wouldn't ID right. He hears them and claims to understand but still walks over them. The biggest thing that sticks out in my mind is to dig 'clean' sounds. Iron to me has a 'roughness' to it. I told my buddy that one day he was frustrated. Not even 5 minutes later he calls me over to check a signal. It sounds 'clean' from one direction and nothing from the other direction but a null. He ended up digging an IH close to a piece of iron... :) I've also tried to teach his son (30 yrs old) without good results. One day last year he calls me over to find his target. I walk over and swing the coil over the hole and can tell it's iron. He says 'How the he** can you tell it's iron????' ... you know the reply. By the sound of it. I could even tell him where to find the nail. To me, iron has an uneven-ness or edge to it's sound. I don't know if that helps anyone.

For the record, your posts have helped me get coins I've missed in the past. No one knows everything... :) The post that stick out in my mind is your post on 16 in sensitivity and using semi-auto. I have always been one to experiment and took your advice out in the field. I've found IHs and dimes at 9-10 inches using semi-auto in PA! I've checked those targets with manual sensitivity and they almost always sound crappier. I know I would have missed those coins with the sensitivity at normal levels because of the chatter, etc. But, there are place that semi-auto is too tame for some reason and I can miss coins. That setup is another useful tool to use in detecting. We ALL bring something to the 'table' in our posts. Some advice may or may not work in your area. But, only use the advice to get the maximum out of the Explorer in your area. I always appreciate your insight.

-Bill