Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sovereign GT $ hypothesis

Deep Digger

This is my proposed explanation for the observed price increased phenomenon (my hypothesis).
Minelab wants to create a few more hurried GT sales via the fear of a price bump.
This would be dissimilar to the pro coil addition on the Explorer before the E trac release, (with similar increased sales results)
but it's possible any (additional) attention to the GT could possibly mean a new model in the future.
It has been many years since the sovereign has been re-released, and maybe the decade old processor used
in the GT cannot be economically be produced any longer. Before the hate mails begin I will have to say the GT
is one of the finest indeed, but like cars, hairstyles, and televisions everything changes..... is it GT's turn?
I could be real wrong, and WAY off, but what do GT lovers, Minelab owners, and everyone else think?
Maybe it's just inflation, or maybe it's time for buyers in USA to overpay like the Aussies.
Good Luck,
Deep Digger

I have the same hypotheses. I think they are clearing out old stock with the threat of a price increase, then they are going to either discontinue the Sovereign or bring out a new model. If you look at their lineup, it's almost all digital now besides the Excal. I think they are doing the same thing they did with the Musky, raising the price before discontinuing it.

I think those who are new to the hobby want digital screens and other options, and it's much cheaper to make an X-Terra, in that there is very little difference in production between different X-Terra models, they use many of the same components. I know that the Sovereign is such a popular detector among dedicated group of beach hunters that perhaps it will be worth keeping in production, but rationally speaking I just don't see it unless they drop the price to about $500 on the "next" model. Is anyone new to a hobby going to pay $1000 for such a detector?

Many who start out in this hobby don't splash out $1000 dollars on a machine, they buy a cheap detector for a few hundred dollars, and most of those have digital screens now days. I think those people would be reluctant going to a more expensive detector if it also didn't have a screen. I think the sovereign would sell well if it was an "introductory model" at the right price. But since it uses top notch components at would not be cost effective.

My verdict is that they are getting rid of the sovereign for good and moving to an all digital lineup featuring Etrac and Explorer look-a-likes with less and less features as you go down in price. Cheap to mass produce, and it should sell well.

Just ask yourself what would you add to the "next" Sovereign to make it significantly better than GT and want people to buy it?

Let's see moved to cheaper labor customer service complaints all the time. Let's take a detector with at least 15 year old technology and raise the price $200. Does this make sense to any one. I think you are right trying to get some quick sells on old stock. Who is going to pay that much for one have seen used ones $300 to $400 all the time.

Jason

Someone started a thread a while back about maybe a new and improved Soveriegn coming onto the scene .....I said way back then, before they had the price increase , that I thought that the Sovereign would be discontinued ..... There were many who disagreed with me ...... I stand by what I said .....Right now the Sovereign is like the Explorer , EXCEPT , the Explorer has evolved .....There were only tiny changes made to the Sovereign over the years , and what started to happen was that sales probably dropped off as many people were selling used Sovereigns back and forth because there was so many of them to deal with .... As I said, not much really changed on them over the years as far as performance features , and they never did offer a machine with a meter !!.... They treated the Sovereign like a Harley Davidson .....A great dependable machine ( the new harleys are ) that they basically just changed a few things around on it and changed the model name .......Same basic machine !!..... There are more people into digital now , and they are easier to build ....You can pack more features into a digital, pushbutton , machine and charge more money for it .... Outsource eveything overseas , and you end up with a much larger profit ....As I said in another thread also .....It's the American way !!....... This is life in America ..... What do we make here anymrore ? .....Babies ? .........Like many of the Dinosaurs of old, they are GREAT machines and destned to be classics , and will STILL be sought after by many , but in another few years , you will see them listed in Craigslist for cheap ...... You can fight the digital age all you want , and you can argue that the older analog machines are better until you are blue in the face , but the fact remains that the people that are building these things are building them to make $$$$$ .......Digital helps them do this , and cheap labor can punch these puppies out like nobody's business ..... Like everything else , it's all about $$$ ....... Jim

So if the gt was $1000 what would be a better option for the mineralized sand(other than a used gt)? I'd probably spring for an E-trac. but if I only had $1000 I would probably get another gt unless there was a better machine for mineralized sand for the same price. Is there a better beach detector out there in this price range?
Jim

I haven't used either the Sovereign or Explorers on the beach enough to know about, but for land I KNOW the explorer series detectors are more stable in mineralized ground in Oregon.

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I can't wait for those cheap sovereigns to hit craigslist. I been wanting an XS. Heck that post even makes me want a Harley.

If you are going to spend $1000 on a new detector for beach hunting you might as well spend $200 more and get an Excal. But I think most people would by an Explorer. There is just no room lef for a Sovereign in the Minelab lineup. I don't think used Sovereigns will get cheaper over then next few years, don't know why you think that. It's either you buy a used one or you don't get one att all. Means that the price of the used ones will go up.

Initially the prices witll go up , but a few years down te road there will be better and cheaper machines on the market ..... I would venture to say that a LOT more people will end up buying machines like an AT Pro for $500 before they will plunk down $500 for a used Sovereign which is even less than what they will be going for when the Soivereign hits $1,000 ...... Keep em if you lovem, and wait a month or so and sell em if you're looking for something new .... It's suppose to be a balmy 35 degrees here tomorrow ....I might just go out and play !....Jim

make it water proof! and still be able to change head phones and coil..." not the Excal"......we might get lucky and they come out with this baby! and get rid of the Excal!

n/t

You are right, Minelab is looking to do away with their stock so they put that hype about buying it now before it goes up 200.00 then its too late for the 799 price, So I too have a hunch that a new style will be comming out ,and for those who bought the rush game, well you will kick your selves and say why didn't I wait for the new one.:rage:(hypothesis)

That picture looks way too real. Who made that? I doubt that this is a leaked photo, but maybe?

That detector looks pretty amazing. I love it! I would not splash $1000 for a new one, but I does look like a great detector if they would make it have those new features. I don't see any switches on it so looks like it's completely waterproof.

Where would the meter go though?

I knew there would be many posts to this thread.
I was thinking more along the lines of a new sovereign (I HOPE it's like the waterproof one Bling posted)
than eliminating it.
It has a large following and there has to a million of those in the fields the world over.
Not everyone likes digital stuff, especially some, not all, but some of the older crowd (which is probably a large portion of MD'ers)
so there is still room for knobs in the detecting world.
I can't say it enough, I hope that if and when the new one comes out it's exactly like the one I've seen many a time on this site (the one Bling recently posted)
and if it is I'm getting 2 of them!
And if there's a new one, the price will be about $1200, only $200 more than the "old" model that just coincidentally just went up $200.
Let's face it, we'll pay it because we need the good tools to enjoy the hobby, and besides..............IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD.....IT'S A MINELAB!
The GT has a cult following and will be a nostalgic piece of Metal detecting history.
Like OLD VW beetles that sold for $1966 in 1966, so to will the GT sell for more in 40 years!
Good Luck
Deep Digger

Well, I also hope that that new model comes out with all the new features. If they take a lesson from XP Goldmaxx or Gmaxx and give it an iron tone, adjustable iron range and faster recovery in trash, I think it still has place in the Minelab lineup.

marbien said:
You are right, Minelab is looking to do away with their stock so they put that hype about buying it now before it goes up 200.00 then its too late for the 799 price, So I too have a hunch that a new style will be comming out ,and for those who bought the rush game, well you will kick your selves and say why didn't I wait for the new one.:rage:(hypothesis)

I have a GT and have been thinking about buying another one before the increase....must resist... must resist...

J

Just to back up what you thinking. I see a few left over new Muskys on the internet. That detector was selling for $700 just before it was discontinued. If my memory is correct they were selling in the $350-$400 range before the last price increase.

Yep, I think someone already mentioned it on another forum, it's the same exact pattern here as well. And the two detectors are very similar, and many really liked the Musketeer and praised it, yet they still got rid of it.

n/t