Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign on the way out?

keppy

Is the Sovereign on the way out will Minelab quit makeing it?.... No matter what magazine that minelab has advertising in they leaveout the ...Sovereign..the...Eureka ..and the ..Musketeer........ And as you see the Musketeer is out of production no more musketeers.to be made........so is the other 2 on the chopping block also ???

I think they have something in mind for spring. Maybe a combination of some of their already great machines. The other guy's always compare to Minelab anyway with their new product lines. What can Minelab improve on depth? Nope got that down. Multi-frequency technology? Nope Coils? Maybe. Salt water discrimination? Nope. Here's one. Weight? They are heavier but look at the build quality. Easy to learn? Nope. But that is why there are other brands. Their ability to find targets in extreme environments? If you own one then you already know the answer to that one. In the past when Minelab discontinued a model they have always came back with something better. So let the BS begin.:minelab::minelab::minelab:

"In the past when Minelab discontinued a model they have always came back with something better" Can you give a few examples of this?

as far as updating the sov I would guess it all depends on sales.How many are they selling versus there other models? They really havent updated much on the sov since its inception and I guess if they were to, it would be in competition with the Explorer/Etrac.
seems like the only detector they considered to make light was the Xterras, those aussies must be stronger than the rest of us:please:

I thought I had heard that 2012 is the year in which Minelab's Patent expires on BBS technology ???
And I am getting one delivered Monday. A GT That is.

And now after comparing and pricing and reading many posts on the GT I was just on the verge of buying one. Now I really don't know what to do, since once a model is discontinued it's not serviced any longer. Maybe a CZ-21 or PI of some brand. Maybe I can sell it and trade up to whatever comes along.:shrug:

One day there maybe no more Sovereign make but that don't mean that no one will ever stop using them or trying to buy a used one there just to good to just fade away. I have no plans to ever sell mine I know.

Tseeker said:
And now after comparing and pricing and reading many posts on the GT I was just on the verge of buying one. Now I really don't know what to do, since once a model is discontinued it's not serviced any longer. Maybe a CZ-21 or PI of some brand. Maybe I can sell it and trade up to whatever comes along.:shrug:

How do you come by that reasoning that no longer made equals no longer serviced? The CZ5 has been out of production for quite a while but First Texas still repairs them from what I read and I would guess Minelab will be doing the same for any of their detectors.
If you were gonna buy a Sov dont let this series of posts sway you, we are all just chewing the fat:drinking:

Tseeker said:
**********************************************************BUT they have to service them for 7 years by law but they will do it longer for the Excalibur is also BBS and they still advertise it.****

This is complete conjecture, but if I were to try to guess the future of the Sovereign my thoughts are that one of two things will happen within the next two or three years:

1) The Sovereign line comes to an end. It has had a really long run and it seems from the advertising that Minelab is not very interested in promoting it. And in the coin/relic space Minelab now has 7 detectors competing with one another i.e. 3 X-terras, E-trac, Explorer, Safari, and the Sovereign. Having that many models competing in the same space does seem a bit much. Granted each model line has its own strengths and weaknesses but they are all considered coin/relic machines.

2) The Sovereign gets a makeover perhaps bringing it into the digital age with a control pad / LCD display but retaining the BBS technology.

Personally I hope they keep both the Sovereign and Excalibur for many years to come.

My feeling is that the Sovereign will be upgraded and possibly made lighter or better balance, possibly a better 180 meter that will be water resistance so it can be used on the beach more without worry. It wont be completely water proof as this is what the Excalibur is for. We know the Excalibur is the best water detector out there and a waterproof Sovereign really, so I feel they will not discontinue the Sovereign line as they still are a great selling detector that has made a name for itself as being one of the very best detectors on the market.
I also been noticing that the used older Sovereigns are being sold higher than they were a few years ago, cant think of any other detector doing this, so the demand is still there for them.

I think that maybe the production cost of a sovereign is greater than a x-terra or safari. Ergo it may be discontinued. Pure speculation of course, but not unlikely.

Do not hold your breath waiting to see the Sovereign discontinued. It will simply continue to be upgraded and made even better.

If that is truly the case, buy them now, and sit on them; corner the market. They will become fantastically expensive the second they discontinue them.

They need to make it waterproof like the AT pro. Put a meter in the face (oh wait Joe Patrick already did that for me). Crazyman had a futuristic mock up of a new Sovereign. I will tell you one thing. If they make it waterproof to 10 ft like the At Pro the Excalibur sales will go down the toilet. And that might be a good thing for Minelab. How many people dive with a detector anyways? The Excalibur is probably a thorn in Minelabs butt when it comes to repairs.

cdsmith46 said:
Do not hold your breath waiting to see the Sovereign discontinued. It will simply continue to be upgraded and made even better.
*************************************** I would hate to see the Sovereign not being made ...I have been useing them since 1992 but a upgrade to waterproof and lighter would be a good thing......... Now there X-Terra detectors are just a plain one frequency VLF detector like every one else makes that is the ones that they should get rid of .......Keep the Sovereign......

people have been wishing for minelab to make the sov lighter since they came out with them.
keppy and Rick, remember when mounting the control box under the armcuff was a "mod" that made the sov feel lighter:thumbup:

In this whole era of downsizing lets hope they do continue the sov.

goodmore said:
They need to make it waterproof like the AT pro. Put a meter in the face (oh wait Joe Patrick already did that for me). Crazyman had a futuristic mock up of a new Sovereign. I will tell you one thing. If they make it waterproof to 10 ft like the At Pro the Excalibur sales will go down the toilet. And that might be a good thing for Minelab. How many people dive with a detector anyways? The Excalibur is probably a thorn in Minelabs butt when it comes to repairs.

A great point The Excalibur is able to be used Diving But so few are use in that matter. Minelab quoted me that the reason for the repairs taking so long on the Excal's is the water proof test process. The Gt is just like a Excal (almost) but just not water proof, it's 400 dollars cheaper because of that. Make the Gt water proof to 10 ft and they'll have the market. People are reporting the AT Pro works in the salt water but only in the Pro mode and only at a few inches of water?

It wouldn't surprise me if they discontinued the Sovereign and replace it with a wader type Excal.This would save cost to build off of one platform.

I'm glad that I own 2 of them, no matter what happens.