Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Speak English..!

fastdraw

Ok.. I'm somewhat new to this hobby,... but sometimes the more advanced detectors use terminology that makes ZERO sense to me.! I wish there was some kind of a chart that referenced metal detecting terminology into plain English..! OR do I just need to "Buck-Up" and learn the metal detecting lingo as I advance my skills..?

Hi Fastdraw you could watch videos on YouTube I never read my manual that never came with the equinox 800 lol what lingo are you referring to?
Mark

Hi Fastdraw you could watch videos on YouTube I never read my manual that never came with the equinox 800 lol what lingo are you referring to?
Mark
I have read my manual several times.... but that's not to say I have memorized it. So what is TID Cap Coil Pumping Notch VID.... just to name a few

Get the manual from ML's web site and read that. All the info is there. As already mentioned - watch You Tube vids.

TID target identification....the number a target displays on your detector ...vid is visual....notch is discrimination of a target or targets...and on and on...

By the way great seated you got.....it may be awhile before you get one that old if ever !

HH
HAPPY HUNTING !

fastdraw:
I have read my manual several times.... but that's not to say I have memorized it. So what is TID Cap Coil Pumping Notch VID.... just to name a few

fastdraw, yes, you are somewhat new to the metal detecting hobby, and today there are a lot of adjustment functions and other things that can be described. here are some answers to your questions .... so far:

TID .. Stands for visual Target ID information. Typically this has been a reference showing a potential targets, such as a Pull-Tab or a US Coin, or a Disc. 'segment' that positioned to indicate the possible target on a TID scale.

Coil Pumping .. This refers to pumping the search coil, from about 6" towards-and-away from the ground at about 1" when using the Automated Ground Balance method. it oly takes about 3 to 6 'pumps' of the coil to read and analyze the ground and adjust the Ground Balance ('GB') to a functional setting.

Notch .. This refers to selecting certain Discrimination 'segments' or 'notches' to Accept or Reject, such as a few to reject, or Notch Discriminate, like maybe Pull-Tabs.

VID .. Refers to a VIDeo and is often misused by people in a post for the term 'VDI'.

VDI .. The abbreviation for 'Visual Discrimination Indicator' which is a Numeric VDI read-out of the detected target. A VDI Numeric response is simply a different form of TID.

I'm sure you'll come across a lot of words used to describe different adjustment functions, or search coils, or ??? If you do, ask away on this Forum, or if you want, you're welcome to e-mail me directly at monte@stinkwaterwells.com and I'll be glad to answer your questions.

Monte

Thanks for posting the lingo for Fastdraw ,, and if you don't mind me going a little off subject here ,, as this became a question for me just last week ,, on the subject of Coil Pumping ,, on a Fisher F 70 ,, it says to pump the coil 3-6 times ,, But ,,, how do you know if the detector actually got completely synchronized with the ground ?

As you pump the coil on the F70/Teknetics Patriot with the Ground Grab button depressed you should eventually hear the raising of the coil tone and lowering of the coil tone become the same intensity and pitch while the number on the display will stabilize too. It is probably best to not do a pumping GG ground balance while you have your F70 set up with extreme settings. I try to ground balance with close to default settings like sensitivity on 60 or so and discrimination between 5 and 15.

Jeff

Thank you sir , I will give that a shot and see how it works out . I have not set up any fancy programs ,, when I turn it on ,, it's however the factory has it setup . I'm still learning what all the settings actually do . Thank you .

Do a google search for "Metal detecting glossary"

Fast draw, I'm new to this also, just bought the equinox 800 Sunday. I also bought "The Equinox series handbook by Andy Sabisch", once I got thru the first few chapters about Minelab and development, it is a very good book, goes into detail on each function and what & why. I'm having a blast learning. Get a copy of the book and sit down in the backyard with the detector and have fun.

"whend":
Fast draw, I'm new to this also, just bought the equinox 800 Sunday. .... I'm having a blast learning. .... and have fun.

New to this great sport, and with a new, modern detector, it becomes important to learn all you can. If we "have a blast" learning then the result is that we will have more fun and enjoyment. :thumbup: I've never quit trying to learn more every time I have a detector in-hand. Keep it up.

Monte

"whend":
Fast draw, I'm new to this also, just bought the equinox 800 Sunday. .... I'm having a blast learning. .... and have fun.

New to this great sport, and with a new, modern detector, it becomes important to learn all you can. If we "have a blast" learning then the result is that we will have more fun and enjoyment. :thumbup: I've never quit trying to learn more every time I have a detector in-hand. Keep it up.

Monte
oO you're absolutely right and I'm always trying to learn something new
"whend":

Monte
oh I'm always trying to learn something new Monte, but watching videos and reading booksonly go so far
"whend":

Monte
I would love to try some of the new things that I've been reading about but the snow has kept me trapped indoors