Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Spectra V3 clad vs silver

jgedde

A few weeks ago teckpro asked me if the V3 could differentiate between silver and clad using the analyze display. My answer was "sort of". There is a subtle difference. However, with tone ID turned on, the difference is easy to hear. I recorded some audio samples that demonstrate this and uploaded then to Eriks Audio World here.

As a side note, I've listened to the audio samples from the Minelab and while the V3 differentiates between silver and clad just as well, the V3's audio is nowhere near as pleasing. The Minelab's audio is very flute like and rather pleasing as far as beeps and blips go. Looking at the V3's audio on a scope shows a square wave output. From the human ear's standpoint, this is the worst waveform they could output. It's loaded with odd harmonics that are tiring to the ear and not at all musical. Plus, the leading and trailing edges of a beep are basically a step that results in a pop as the speaker/headphones try to follow the waveform and of course overshoot.

Cheers,
John

jgedde - I thought that was Buford T. Justice but I wasn't ever sure. Now I know. Like the new pic.

So has something changed on the VDI? I know on my DFX I can easily tell clad from silver. For example, a clad dime will read a VDI of 78-81 where as a silver dime reads 81-83. A clad quarter reads 82-84 and a silver quarter reads 84-86. Maybe it is the mild soil we have here in southwest Kansas?

A well worn silver coin can VDI lower than clad.

The audio will vary with the V3 as it also does with the Explorer. I use both and it depends on the angle of the coin in the ground, depth, mineralization, the thickness of the coin and so many other variables.

I have had worn Seated dimes come in as an Indian head before with no flutey tone as all.