Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Standing Liberty Quarter and a question

Howdy,

This was a little odd - I was detecting in an old park in the Los Angeles area near the ocean last Thursday after work. I have hunted this same park a couple times a week for months. It only gives up modern coinage and a few silver rings to date, with the oldest coins being 1960's pennies and nothing older. Well I was getting late in the day and the sun was setting fast. I got a very strong hit that was 22.5 all the way and the detector said it was a quarter. So I dug it and sure enough it was a chocolate brown quarter and due to the low light I could tell little else. As is my ritual, when I find a dime, nickel or quarter I say - "Hello, Mr. Quarter" and I put it away so I could quickly finish up with the patch I was hunting before it got to too dark to finish.

The next night I was looking over my finds for the week I noticed this quarter was different. It did not feel or sound like the other quarters when I dropped it on the table. Upon closer inspection I realized it was not a modern quarter and then I started to get excited! I could see no date an the more I cleaned the more I found I could see it was in fact a Standing Liberty!! Boy howdy!! Anyway, I got it clean enough to see a faint 2 and a solid 0 for a date with a D mint mark. So I guess it is a 1920-D most likely deposited here due to fill dirt because this is park built in the 60's into a steep hillside. Doubt there was much foot traffic prior to the park being built.

And here is my question

All of the coins I dig in the LA area are the color of chocolate or dark copper when I take them out of the ground - even silver. I have looked around and all of the cleaning advice I see deals with clad and or cleaning batches. I am more concerned with individual coins more so that cleaning a handful of coins at a time. So here is my question - how do I strip this for lack of a better name, chocolate film off of the nicer coins so they can be better identified? I was forced to use a dremel and soft wire brush in this case and that is not how I would like to do it going forward if possible. I am aware it is best not to clean coins at all - but if you cannot identify them you have to do something, and this coating is tough and thick at times. I suspect the cause is copper and other minerals, but it is tough to get off.

BTW - I put this question in this section of the forum because I trust you guys more than the strangers in the cleaning sections of this and other sites. Not a slam to them, just an issue of trust for me is all.

Thanks,

The Shark

I'm no help on the cruddy coins but want to say congrats on the SLQ, those are always nice finds and when they have a date, that much better.

I live in Northern Calif and all the silver we find comes out of the ground looking almost new that would be rings and coins even the old ones even as far back as 1930s maybe it is your ground that is what I would think...

There is a very very strong cleaner I use and it is well regarded by professionals. It's called MS70 "Industrial Strength Coin Brightener" and it contains no acids, just very strong detergents that will dissolve all but the metal. I really recommend trying it. First, according to the instructions, just dab some on with a Q-tip and give it 20 seconds or so and then wipe it off. I wear gloves when I use it. 2nd, I have soaked copper coins for days in it and it is the best I have found for them. Also, you can try putting a test silver quarter in for a few hours, I doubt it will harm it, but test first. Look it up and read what people are saying.

Hope that helps,
EMS