Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Starting to get fed up with V3i.... when on beach

Kyledfx, like the MXT the V tracking engine is working in the background even in locktrac. It just isn't making tracking changes.

I never use a pin pointer on the beach so I can't say about the DX1 problem.

However, the stock White's 10" DD coil may or may not overload with the DX-1 in-line depending on the tolerances from coil to coil. This has nothing to do with the probe or coil involved, rather with the switch (for switching from coil to probe and visa versa) This is from Ralph at Sunray. I never got an explanation but believe the switch is having an affect on the operation of the detector. What I don't know.
Maybe Ralph could help with this?

Just a thought since it could be a moisture problem, Try one of those Silica Gel Bags an put in your box cover to suck up the moisture.
Couldn't hurt anything that's for sure.

rob, what do you mean about the tracking engine working in loctrac ? i dont have overload problems with the dx1 just weirdness after using it, seems like the v adjusts to it somehow them doesnt when switched back to coil. ps the dx1 is a huge help at the beach.

When set to autotrac it is tracking and making changes to adjust to the ground. Set to Locktrac the tracking is still monitoring the ground it just doesn't make any changes.

It didn't say it overloaded. This statement was made by Ralph indicating the DX1 switch was having some adverse effects in certain conditions. His explanation never went further. As I stated, I never use the DX1 at the beach, I use a scoop and usually take the DX1 off to save weight. We are talking about hunting at the beach in this post.

I took the V3i to the beach at South Padre. I used the 9.5 coil because I didn't bring the D2. I was running my modified Hi Pro which is close to Magics program with salt compensate and salt ground. I could run it at RX 15 and sensitivity at 93 with no problems. I then tried turning on stereo mixed mode and it still ran smooth. The targets were spaced farther apart and the stereo insured I would not miss any targets. Depth was no problem, but I need a bigger scoop or a shovel and sifter.

The autotrac worked great from dry to wet and back. I wish I had the D2 with me to try. So at least I know the V3i should have no troubles on the Texas beaches.

I use mine at the beach often. I had problems on a few occasions when I simply could not get it to ground balance over the wet sand, and finally settled for a half-balanced setup and hunted with it anyway - turning the gain down a bit. Back up to the dry sand and rebalanced - no problems at all. On one occasion I had enough saltwater trapped between the coil and coil cover (on another machine) to cause it to go nuts. Haven't figured that one out, either, because removing the coil cover and submerging in salt water it worked just fine! I noticed that when I haven't got the V balanced properly that iron targets show up at high plus vdi's - quarter range - but they are easy to pass because polar plot analyze shows them with third quadrant vectors - as they should be. This is after the usual pinpoint test of looking for a high green (a hard hit on 2.5khz) tells you it's definitely a quarter - and it turns out to be just a rusty nail. I know this happens because the machine is not properly ground balanced and the target VDI is skewed. But it's interesting to note that the rusty nails hit hardest on the 2.5 khz just like silver and clad coin targets. I have never had problems in the dry sand, though.

Now, somebody tell me how I can get this thing to completely ignore the re-bar in the fire pits without turning down the gain so much it can barely find a quarter on the sand surface two or three inches away from the firepit!!?? That was where the old XLT with the bigfoot excelled. You could bring the tip of that coil to within a half inch of an iron target - like the rebar in the firepit or the playgound equipment in the tot lot and still grab that six inch deep quarter. That machine seemed to have a much sharper "edge" to the detecting field than does the V - at least with the DD coil. So, since I can't find a bigfoot from the DFX to use on the V, are their other options? Do the eclipse coils have a sharper edge to their fields? (I'm talking about the edge of the field to the SIDE or FRONT of the coil itself - the radius of the field, not the depth).

The Bigfoot is why you had better results with the XLT near the fire pit. You will need a Bigfoot on the V3i to match results. A Bigfoot for the DFX are on Ebay from time to time but be prepared to pay around $300 for them since they are not made anymore. The Bigfoot is like using a 3.5 inch coil when you hunt with it like you did and I don't know of another coil like it except maybe the Hotshot coil.

Hello I run a v3i and had the same problem last year it turns out the coil went bad. I sent it out to White's and they fixed it. I have had no problems since not saying that's your problem but it might be worth looking into.

For the most part, Minelabs are really good with salt water beaches and high mineralization. I would hunt more to the strengths of your detector which is a very good one.

Flambeaux, I would have to assume you are talking about the Excal since the Explorer and E-Trac were both blind in AM on these two bracelets that I found, one with the DFX and the other with the V3.

[attachment 195500 2.jpg]

If you are posting that you had problems at the beach, please let us know what beach. As I stated earlier I had no problem on the Texas beach and I know George ( Da Fox) has no problems on the Florida beaches. I was able to run wide open if I wanted and it tracked flawlessly from wet to dry sand. It is a multi frequency machine and has a salt compensate mode.

Again if you are having troubles at beaches others can hunt that is an operator problem. It could be a beach no VLF can handle. Unless you give us the location we will never know.

On the beach don't use a coil cover or have it completely sealed with silicone.

On the beach depth is important and polar plot is not a depth feature.

Now about the DX1. It was stated," I hear ya, on the beach things are just a pain in the a__ ! one tide can change things ,lock track is good but the v is doing something behind the scenes..i havent posted about this but when i use my dx1 probe at the beach 7 seconds or so later it goes unstable and a sweep in pinpoint fixes it.."

From Bob's post.
If a in line probe is used this to can change the ground point if autotrac is enable as it is hooking up another coil to the detector and the instrument will start tracking to a new ground balance point.

I don't think this is the issue that you're having but thought I'd post it anyway, this is tip from Steve Howard at the factory: In mineralized grounds, setting the V3/V3i down to dig, upon re-standing to continue searching, auto track will have caused error in the ground rejection setting (loop sees the ground differently when set on edge) resulting in the perception of noisy ground. If the detector setting on the ground chatters, the ground balance is certainly in error (your not ground balanced) When searching mineralized ground it is best to manually reground balance after every (set down) dig.

Or GB and lock it to keep it from changing.

I always push the menu button to silence the machine before setting it down, then when I stand up, i just squeeze the trigger to resume hunting. I would guess it does not ground track while in the menu mode.

I always push the menu button to silence the machine before setting it down, then when I stand up, i just squeeze the trigger to resume hunting. I would guess it does not ground track while in the menu mode

What they are talking about is using the DX-1 Sunray Probe. When you flip the switch the DX-1 probe becomes your coil. If you are running auto-trac, it senses whatever you do with your probe, which can skew your ground balance once you flip back to your regular coil.

As was mentioned above, if you go into lock-track...then it wont change your ground balance based on what you do with the probe...thats how I run mine now...I have started using Magic's program and although it can get "busy" at times, it is really working well for me so far. Just remember to ground balance every 10-15 minutes.

LittleJohn

some thing every one should do IF there is a little room in ther machine get some of those dicissent? I know that is not spelled right just ignore it if you now what it is.I use the little packages that come in some of my medicen bottles.If you get cought in the rain or some where there is a heavy moisture problem.Or if there is not room after you get it home open it up and put it in a bag with bigger packages of the stuff. HH