Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stavr scoop

I have the Krepish now for about 3 months. Light weight, big, and very strong. Got an ash handle from Home Depot. Scoop & handle weigh under 4lbs. No cons.
Marc

Heard nothing but good about them....great guy to work with also........

Thanks for the replies. Marc - did you have to treat or modify the ash handle in any way?

Just sanded the end to fit the tube, and sanded the entire handle to get most on the varnish off. Now it's less slippery and easier to grip. I also shortened the handle to fit me better.

If you are taking it in the water it should have some kind of protection from the water. The maker of this scoop recommended parafin wax. I tried that and it was excellent and easy on the hands. Problem was, when I got to Florida, the summer heat would melt it and make a mess. I ended up removing that with a hair dryer. I sanded it good to remove any of the cheap varnish that comes on it. Then I applied Ace Hardware Spar Varnish (you just need the smallest can). I really researched this and this is the one to use. It is what people who build fly fishing rods use (besides epoxy, but unlike epoxy this won't cause health problems from being in contact with it). Not all "Spar" Varnish is really spar varnish. Besides, even if something used to be good, to meat environmental regulations the formulas are continually being changed, so it might be a completely different product than what you have heard about. After a few coats it had a beautiful glassy look. Sand it with 200 grit sand paper between coats (lengthwise strokes only). I used a cheap foam brush and it looked great. Waited 2 days between coats. I have used this process on all of my wood handles. They typically last a couple of months (every day water hunting) before needing a new coat. Unfortunately the handle for this particular scoop broke, but I found a sturdy used fiberglass handle that fits the bill. Good Luck,

Lazy

I love my one.
It does what it says on the tin.
sandscoopphoto003.jpg

sandscoopphoto004.jpg

sandscoopphoto002.jpg

beach2.jpg

Well made and very strong :detecting: :clapping: