Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stay OUT of Old Mines

In College I majored for several years in Geology. This was in the early 1970's in an active mining district.
Fellow students and I did explore a 1860 hard rock basalt mine shaft in the copper country.
Very interesting. Veins of Pure copper and crystals were still embedded in the mine walls.
The old leather harnesses and the narrow gauge track they uses on the mules were there too.
Probably the biggest danger was falling down a vertical air shaft and they had wooden fences to mark them off.
There was a bit of craftsmanship on the part of the old timers in how they used wood and stone to build walls.
The main entrance shaft was on a 30 degree incline and you could go down until you hit the ground water level.
Eventually all these old mine entrances were filled and sealed.
Some mines shafts were first stuffed with old 1950 auto wrecks to plug the opening then filled with dirt.
About 10 years ago I guess the autos rusted away enough and a shaft opened up and had to be fenced off and then resealed. This was in the city limits.
Back in the 1970's when some of the mines were still active you were waken in the middle of the night by dynamite blasting that shook the whole house.
In the summer there are 3 or four electrically lit mines open to tourism in that area if one is interested.
One mine actually supervises and allows repelling down the air shafts to the lower levels for exploration. in the dark.
What area is this with the tours.
Rappelling would be fun.

My brotherinlaw worked in a Detroit Salt Mine years ago. Once a year they had a family day and relatives could tour the mine. We did the tour and it was incredible. The only way in and out is a horizontal shaft that had a personal lift that could take no more then 8 at a time. All the pick up trucks, front end loaders were purchased in pieces and went down that lift and were reassembled in the mine.

My brotherinlaw worked in a Detroit Salt Mine years ago. Once a year they had a family day and relatives could tour the mine. We did the tour and it was incredible. The only way in and out is a horizontal shaft that had a personal lift that could take no more then 8 at a time. All the pick up trucks, front end loaders were purchased in pieces and went down that lift and were reassembled in the mine.
I'm near the Morton salt mine in Mentor Ohio.
I've always wanted to go down there.
No tours anymore. 😕

We left with huge chunks of clear crystalline salt that you could see through.
Imbedded in the salt was ancient Seaweed and air bubbles with seawater trapped inside from 400 million years ago.
It was mind Boggling to have that. The Exposure of the specimens to our environment and humidity levels eventually deteriorated the salt into piles of small salt chunks

We left with huge chunks of clear crystalline salt that you could see through.
Imbedded in the salt was ancient Seaweed and air bubbles with seawater trapped inside from 400 million years ago.
It was mind Boggling to have that. The Exposure of the specimens to our environment and humidity levels eventually deteriorated the salt into piles of small salt chunks
Sad
If you could of put it under glass under vacuum.
It would probably still be beautiful.
Humidity is nasty on salt.

The entire city I live in has underground coal mines everywhere. I live right next to a entrance that was sealed off in the early 1970's. Its now an empty lot, that butts right up to my property. Exploring is very tempting. I saw a old map of the tunnels, and I was amazed at how many tunnels are here. Some of them are 20 miles long. The entire city is basica;lly built on top of a network of tunnels. There has really only been one area of town, where mine subsidence was an issue, and its basically a nice, newer, expensive subdivision on the other side of town. Ive often thought about bypassing the closed off entrance, and go exploring, but it would be so dangerous. I imagine some or all of the tunnels are filled with water, and a lack of oxygen, but who knows. Cant help but think that it would make an excellent underground bunker, in a SHF situation. Entertaining to think about, but just too risky.