Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sterling markings on silver jewelry

Ronstar

Does anyone have a resource which definitively identified when the industry stopped marking jewelry as Sterling, or Ster, or SS, and went to the 925 markings? I have seen some “articles” where they say in the 1950s and some say early 1970s and yet others say still in use. I’ve read it was a world standard to begin using 925 but are some countries exempt? Etc etc etc...... any help here means I can sleep later and stop the heavy drinking. Lolol

No one? Ok, another drink........

Everything is real fuzzy on this subject.
Some reported "Facts"...
92.5 was used in Europe as far back as the 14th century.
1868 in the US is when it started to be used but not a whole lot.
1906 is when the mark supposedly became a requirement in this country but not many cared because Ster or Sterling was still being used up until the late 60's at least...into the 70's probably and even up till today.
In 1973 Europe had the Vienna Convention establishing the 925 Common Control Mark among several European nations .... 925 became a sort of "international indicator" from that point forward....but not always.

Don't know if there is a definitive answer, the 925 mark and all the others have been in use for way more than 100 years, centuries, actually, but that does not mean everyone used it or even uses it today.
If there are laws governing this not everyone out there seems to care to be following them, artist types sometimes follow their own paths...some larger companies, too.
Most everyone knows what sterling means but a whole lot have no idea what 925 represents so companies might keep this in mind when marking, and marketing, their jewelry.

I can tell you I have found a ton of silver jewelry marked 925 but I have also found a whole lot marked only sterling and a few marked simply Ster.
I can guarantee you a few of those marked with either word are not really that old at all, one religious medallion I found only marked Ster was not worn at all, looked almost brand new and was not very deep in a public park.
Found around 2015 and I doubt it was more than 10 years old, if that, so I think 925 is more common but Ster and Sterling still seems to be in use.

A conundrum, but like my wife this might not ever be figured out definitively or satisfactorily.
Now go have one more big drink and then think seriously about cutting back a bit.
Maybe try yoga or meditation, could help calm the nerves but definitely not as much fun at parties.

Last edited:
That last ring I got is what got me to thinking about this subject. I have two rings marked Sterling, no other marks. Both could be older due to find location. When I began to look up this subject I ran exactly in to what you described. Just because it looks old doesnt mean it is and I get that. I’m learning the more I find the more I have questions and the more I want answers.
No worries on the drinks, I am allowed my one one beer and one shot on Friday and Saturday at 5:00 as long as I finish all my chores for the week (per the wifey). Lol