Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sterling Silver Spoon...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

I haven't had the chance to do too much detecting lately - very busy schedule and with 100+ degree temperatures fatigue sets in quickly. Well, we had some much needed rain and it cooled down to the mid 90's and my buddy shafer44 invited me to get out and swing the coil. I had the day off from work so I said: "Let's go!"

We first went to a vacant lot that shafer44 had hunted a few days before and he dug a few wheat-cents (the oldest a 1927). We hunted it for about an hour and we both dug a few 1940's wheat cents and some scrap copper. The lot was mostly overgrown so we were limited to the areas that were huntable. I KNOW that there has to be silver there but it will have to wait for another day. After a brief cloudburst we headed for another lot. We selected a lot where there had previously been an old house. I had hunted it a year or so ago and had dug a few interesting relics and old coins. The lot had recently been mowed so some new ground was exposed (certain parts are still overgrown). Shafer44 and I each dug 5 wheat cents and a few copper memorials. When I got an 85-86 reading at 3 inches, I was expecting a silver quarter. What a pleasant surprise it was to see the tip of this Sterling silver spoon! It has a Birmingham hallmark. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Squirell I kind of like finding those myself. I found a Baby spoon the other day. Extra long handle with a small spoon part. I know it is old because it was under the foundation of an old house maybe in the 20s

Looks just like the one that fell out of my mouth when I was born!
I never did find it...
Glad you did!
:)

That is a nice one BS, some of those obsolete pattern pieces are worth big bucks......:biggrin:

Howdy daddyflea--

As much as I enjoy digging old coins, I get more of a kick out of finding the unusual items such as Sterling Silver flatware. You can make a pretty neat display when you have dug a few. I'm glad that you picked up that Baby Spoon. That's a good find! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks DocBars! I've dug quite a few old spoons, knives and forks but the Sterling ones are few and far between. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks, Jimmy. I hope that you heal fast from your surgery! You don't want to miss too much of your prime hunting season. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks burlbark. It made my day. Sometimes it's tough going home and when the wife asks if I found anything good answering: "Just dug a few crusty memorials." Hahhaah. Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Bik-il---

Hahahahhah! That's a good one! Thanks for the chuckle! And best of luck to you and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Larry. Do you know of a web site for researching flat ware? I have a reference book for watches that includes hallmarks so I know that this piece was made in Birmingham but the makers mark and the date mark are so small that even with a loop I can't positively identify. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel