Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Steve Herschbach question

Cactus Jeff

Hi Steve,

Have you and Chris Ralph ever discussed cross referencing mining districts, USGS reports, and known placers with recent earthquake epicenters in California & Nevada? One would think that gold could be pushed to the surface or overburden pushed off of bedrock in some places. I really enjoy your metal detector reviews and ICMJ articles.

Jeff

No, it's not anything I have ever considered doing. Quakes shake a lot but you will be hard pressed to find places where they move the surface.

I am glad you enjoy the articles - thanks!

Good question!
Gold deposits are often related to faults, but older ones, not ones related to modern earthquakes.
The Melones fault of the mother lode country of California is related to many of the mother lode gold deposits. It was the fault on which the California earthquakes happened many millions of years ago. However, millions of years ago the earth stopped moving on that fault, and the earth's movement shifted west 100+ miles to the site of the modern San Andreas fault. That's where the earthquakes happen and have for a long time.

So yes, faults and gold deposits are related, but the gold bearing ones are way old and don't have movement along them anymore.

Because of that, there really is not any correlation of modern recent earthquakes and gold deposits. There may be a correlation of earthquakes from long ago and modern deposits, or modern quakes and gold deposits of millions of years in the future, but it doesn't do much for us right now.