Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Still cannot decide

This will certainly be a controversial topic, but since I HAVE used both types, perhaps I could comment. The pulse will signal ANY metallic target you encounter. The best thing to do, is to dig it all using a pulse, until you are able to ascertain auditorily, that the target is iron. Even that is somewhat unrealible, unless you have the experience to tell the difference. Since you will be evaluating whether or not to dig and actually digging quite a lot of poor quality targets, I will have been on down the surf, digging non-ferrous ones, although I may have missed some deeper ones, which the PI would have signalled. It is a trade off really. I would rather cover more water and the Excal does that better than any other I've used. There is a time and a place for a PI, but most times, an Excal is more practical. If you DO desire all-metal, the Excal has that feature and can be ran in that mode, with TREMENDOUS target information, even in that mode. I tend to believe that the Excal's all-metal mode gives more target information, than any pulse I've used anyway. I have used the very best PIs too, so there you have it, my take. I'm sure the pulse guys will slam me, but that is fine. Just keep in mind, you say, "Furthermore, metal detecting is not (yet!?) a hobby to speak of here in Sweden - so the beaches should be literally filled with valuables". That means that EVERYTHING will be there including TONS of iron, as nobody has ever recovered anything yet, it is ALL still there. Now, if that is the case, I suspect you could cherry-pic all the shallow stuff and more than pay for the initial cost of your equipment, then if you want to try a pulse later on, get one and see if it is for you. Get those deepies, that the Excal may have missed, savvy? Best of luck Swede.

I detect in fresh water lakes and use two water machines.
White's Beachunter ID which is a dual freguency detector with 3 color led lights to indicate types of targets.
I also use the Surf Pi Pro as a second detector.
I use the BHID on dry land (soccer fields) also to sharpen my pin pointing.Found lots of clad and jewelry and gold rings.
Don't overlook Whites as they have been in the business a long time.
Other water detectors that have had good finds by forum members are Tesoros Tiger Sharks (for small gold) and Garrett's Infinium for deep items but with a longer learning curve .

You did the smart thing by getting your gear first. When I first started detecting in the water { 80's} I got one of the first PI's made. {Whites TM PI 1000} I did find Silver & Gold with this machine, but the Trash to Keeper ratio is just not worth the time, I went to land detecting for the next 20+ years. I got a Excal 800 in 2006.... I have to say, the first summer on the beach and to this day I have not looked back! And this is because I got the Excal, if the gold is there it will find it for you. ...Good Luck

Oldebeechnut

People have been detecting in Sweden for years. There's been regular searches for the remains of Karl XII's lost army. Detectors were being imported back in the 60's.
The main dealer in Stockholm in the 70's was Evo Larrson.

Re detectors, a pulse is the best machine for the beaches where the salt has taken care of much of the iron. Inland (lakes/river sites), twin or multifrequency is easier but not always the best in Europe where you could find arrow/spear heads, swords and other collectable iron objects etc.

The Headhunter is deeper than the other cheap P.I.'s and its slightly easier to I.D. iron though not perfectly as with any of them in this price range. The pinpoint is off set but you get use to it.

The Goldquest is an excellent detector but not as deep or adjustable as the Deepstar (avoid the early Deepstars. Still good but now very old and don't have the essential adjustable SAT or the option to reduce power to extend the five hour battery life to ten).

I use the Deepstar as a first choice, Goldquest SS as second and Minelab/Whites multi/twin frequency as third depending on the site.