Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Still learning

JC99328

I'm new to Dues 2. I've got about 20 hours on it. Long way to go!

I could use some help on numbers. Most anything above 90 is silver (also copper pennies and old sprinkler heads). I haven't dug a single nickel. Quite a few pennies, 84-88. Can slaw and junk jewelry below that.

What are your numbers \ finds? I've run some air tests but they aren't the same.

For what it's worth, the 13" coil is much heavier! Ran it 6 hrs yesterday.

What are you specifically looking for JC? What program are you using? Where are you hunting? You can search YouTube for the “Silver Slayer” program and test that out, works very well!

Right now I'm running factory park setup. Display numbers are far tighter than my old Whites VDIs. I had quite a few years on it and pretty much new what I was going to dig up.

Right now, I'm looking for nickel numbers. I've got the quarter, dime, pennies pretty much locked in. Still looking for the magic nickel number range. Trying to avoid digging a ton of trash to finally find the rare nickel!

Mostly digging in parks, sports areas, and fair grounds.

Right now I'm running factory park setup. Display numbers are far tighter than my old Whites VDIs. I had quite a few years on it and pretty much new what I was going to dig up.

Right now, I'm looking for nickel numbers. I've got the quarter, dime, pennies pretty much locked in. Still looking for the magic nickel number range. Trying to avoid digging a ton of trash to finally find the rare nickel!

Mostly digging in parks, sports areas, and fair grounds.
By park program, do you meanGeneral?
Where I live in NJ and in the park I hunt with its red soil, nickels are 60, but I have found them at 61 and 62. Some small pull tabs and a few beaver tails come in at 62 and 63.
Take three nickels with you to the park, place them on your soil and rest. War, Buffalo and Jefferson than see what you get
Tony

Tony is right on with the numbers for nickels. Silver dimes, especially old silver dimes like Barbers or Seated can EASILY go into the high 80’s, I’ve dug several, with an ID of 86-87, if you can believe that! When you have time give that Silver Slayer setup a look, especially if you’re hunting polluted ground that has been hunted a bunch and deeper, older coins are a bit hard to come by. Make SURE your Reactivity is no higher than 2, 1 or 1.5 being preferable. Plenty of YouTube videos regarding how the machine responds set up differently, it is a great performer here!

Remember the program you use will effect the numbers displayed because of the frequencies being used can differ.

Also have a new Deus 2 and my 1st target was a nickel. Hunting under a zip line with bark underneath. Useing General program 1. It read 57 at about 4” down. I have found lots with the Deus 1 from 58 to 74. Most at 59. Also folded over or bits of pull tabs will mimic a nickel. Even the xy screen makes those look good. For some reason fewer nickels are lost in comparison to other coinage but they are there. Don’t notch out pull tabs or you will likely miss them and gold rings and stuff. Hang in there, they usually have that roundness in tid and sound that pull tabs don’t have if you walk around them you can see pull tabs exhibit changing numbers that exposes their shape. For sure dig those 59to 62 targets.

My id numbers: 84-86 zinc pennies, 90-93 clad dimes, 94-98 clad quarters. I dug some junk jewelry, and can slaw, mid 70's. 40-50's old rusty caps and slaw.

Running park 1, factory settings until I get used to it. I need another 60-80 hrs!

My id numbers: 84-86 zinc pennies, 90-93 clad dimes, 94-98 clad quarters. I dug some junk jewelry, and can slaw, mid 70's. 40-50's old rusty caps and slaw.

Running park 1, factory settings until I get used to it. I need another 60-80 hrs!
I took a look at Park one and it uses 3 tones. I know you are new to the D2 an trying to learn it properly which is good but you are not new to detecting. In my opinion because you are used to more spread with tid’s. You might be better going to 4 tones for the rest of your time. Leave tone 2 at 518 and three at 644 but choose 4tones in the Expert mode under disc and make the tone break at t4 at 881 hz. It will make the bigger silver scream and you will then hear the difference between nickel and cents.

I took a look at Park one and it uses 3 tones. I know you are new to the D2 an trying to learn it properly which is good but you are not new to detecting. In my opinion because you are used to more spread with tid’s. You might be better going to 4 tones for the rest of your time. Leave tone 2 at 518 and three at 644 but choose 4tones in the Expert mode under disc and make the tone break at t4 at 881 hz. It will make the bigger silver scream and you will then hear the difference between nickel and cents.
Forgot to mention to move tone break 2 to 74 and tone break 3 to 87 and save this program as park 2. Hope this will help.

I use general and nickels seem to hit 62
Mark

Thank you! All of this helps! I will make a few program changes, get more tone spread. Give a try next week if the weather cooperates.

Tone breaks are of course user preference. I prefer 5 tones and full tones. Nice to pickup those nuances of targets that incites the ole noggin to investigate. Good luck.

Thank you! All of this helps! I will make a few program changes, get more tone spread. Give a try next week if the weather cooperates.
Not to be a smart ass, but can I ask you why you didn't just drop a nickel on the ground and see for yourself what the TID would be?

You must remember, depth, orientation, soil mineralization, and adjacent targets can all affect TID by a few points, so make sure your tone breaks are set with that in mind.
Because of the factors mentioned above, If you only look for a set ID, you will miss a lot of nickels.

I have indeed done air tests with all coins, jewelry and normal junk. It's close, but.... No cigar in the wild. Just interested in learning it!

I have indeed done air tests with all coins, jewelry and normal junk. It's close, but.... No cigar in the wild. Just interested in learning it!
Apologies, I reread your initial post and I missed the part where you did air-tests. Hence, why I couldn't figure why you were asking about numbers.

To give you an example of how conditions affect TID, in Michigan it's possible to find natural copper nuggets (float copper) left behind by the glacier. I have found a few small ones about half the size of a jelly bean with the D1. I was out in a farm field a couple weeks ago when the weather warmed up and got a nice target reading at around 82-85.
It was the site of an old homestead that was full of iron scrap. I dug what I thought (based on the TID), was a copper nugget the size of a quarter. I didn't re-test it in the air, I just dropped it in my pouch. When I got home and cleaned my finds, I discovered it was melted lead.
The ID was that far off. I can't remember what lead comes in as, but it is much lower, somewhere in the 40-60 range if I remember right. I mostly dig anything that is non-ferrous in this particular site, but I only pay attention to numbers when the TID is in the copper/silver range as this target was.

Part of the reason for my original question was based on air tests not being what I was finding in the ground. I was, and still, interested in others numbers. Since my dirt in likely different, it's more of a get it the range thing. Just wanted to get up to speed quicker and have less dig and look.

10+ years on my old machine gave me a 80% or so idea from the numbers. Always a surprise here and there! My back is good for only so many digs in a day, make them count....

By park program, do you meanGeneral?
Where I live in NJ and in the park I hunt with its red soil, nickels are 60, but I have found them at 61 and 62. Some small pull tabs and a few beaver tails come in at 62 and 63.
Take three nickels with you to the park, place them on your soil and rest. War, Buffalo and Jefferson than see what you get
Tony
Today I found three nickels and all were solid 61 But at least five inches down
Tony

Here in Cali nickels read 63 every time. Dimes and copper cents 90-91 and quarters 92-95

Part of the reason for my original question was based on air tests not being what I was finding in the ground. I was, and still, interested in others numbers. Since my dirt in likely different, it's more of a get it the range thing. Just wanted to get up to speed quicker and have less dig and look.

10+ years on my old machine gave me a 80% or so idea from the numbers. Always a surprise here and there! My back is good for only so many digs in a day, make them count....
It all depends on time as well as area.
Sometimes it’s better to just dig the first so many holes then call it a day.
If an area only gives up a dozen signals in a few hours you just dig them all no matter what they sound like or what number