Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Still Treasuring the memories

Lil Brother

My brother,sister, and I all know about Novembers. It is the saddest part of my life and I am glad that it's almost over. For those who don't know, we lost both of our parents twenty-four years apart in November. Dad went first on the 20th and Mom on the 5th.

It is always hard for each of us, but we all seem to handle it okay. One thing is for sure; we all handle it differently. I guess that is what this story is about. It's about just one little thing that I did today to "handle it".

Carol and I were working on replacing our last three windows today when I realized that I might have to drive 12 miles in to town to get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. I suddenly thought about a piece of plywood that I had torn off the old shop that Daddy built. When the old homeplace was sold, I had to have a few momentos so for whatever reason, I took a piece of plywood that was painted "army-green" and one of the 2x4 studs out of the wall. I gave the 2x4 to my brother to make picture frames of whatever he felt like making.

It was time to fill in the gaps around the window so I grabbed the old piece of plywood out from under the leaves by my shop where it had blown over months ago and proceeded to get the correct measurements and cut it to fit.

After I got the first one done, John-boy and Virginia drive up just in time to help us take the second one out. I told John about the plywood, and he cut out the second one for us. We all had a bowl of beef stew and some good conversation and they went home. Just knowing that a piece of my Daddys shop now lives in our home somehow seems to make me feel better.

It is amazing what helps bring closure to some people, isn't it? I'm sure that my heart will never heal completely from the loss of Daddy and Mamma, but things like I did today help. Daddys birthday is December 22 and I dread that too. I'll just be glad when January gets here. I miss them so much. Thank you for listening.

God Bless,

Lil Brother

I see the old folks in each of you so very much.

And when you laugh, it makes me think that I may have kept my promise to them, a little better. The promise was to "take care of you two" the best I can. So, when you laugh, I know you're happy. And, just maybe my little ole' self might have had a little to do with it.

Thanks for the neat little story. Kinda brings a perfect end to a great Arkansas autumn afternoon. Heck. Even the RAZORBACKS won. Wonders never cease. :lol:

Loving you guys,

Johnboy

This is a wonderful tribute to your folks. I know the date of my mothers passing...... but I was pretty young and , like you, it was a very traumatic time. My father however... Alice and I were married on May 10th.... My father passed away on May 10th so it is a pretty bittersweet time for me.

But I still have my memories and they are great memories.

Thank you for the journey

calm, seas, fair winds

M

My fathers birthday was Dec 21 and I never had the relationship with him that you seem to have had with yours. I might have if he had lived longer as I am remembering him as a kid.

I was helping my mother a few month ago dig some Hosta. I was taking them up north. She brought me her spade and she said it was my dads and she had used it all these years. It got a lot of use.

I looked at the spade and remembered my dad using it to turn over a small garden in our side yard. I was amazed at how he did it as I had never seen it done before. This was right after WW2 so I must have been six or seven years old. It triggered that memory.

The handle was all dried out from the years and and as I was using it the handle made a cracking noise. I put it aside as I did not want to break it.

After finishing the job with another shovel I took the spade and put it in a bucket of water to make the handle swell, hoping it would save it but the next time I went over and tried it out, it broke completely.

I am going to try to find another handle for it but hold out little hope. Maybe I can fashion something for it.

Time passes and memories get dimmer but they are still there. Mom will be 90 next Aug...

I see Daddy and Mamma in you and Linda too. Linda is a spiting image of Mom and well; I can see that Daddy taught us well by the traits in each of you. ILY Go Hogs Go!

Lil Brother

I hope the emotions of you Dads passing is offset by your anniversary. One thing about it though; our parents will always live in our hearts.

Take care of yourselves.

Lil Brother

I would REALLY like to see a picture of your Father's spade. If you have it with you, please post---handle and all.

Take care.

Lil Brother

again, and I have been very teary eyed all day, coming home from Virginia. Needless to say, I was not much company to Scott. I dread the November dates also. Janet helped me thru mothers, and you and John, and today, all I did for almost twelve hours was lay on the bed of the RV, while Scott drove, and feel so sorry for myself. Shame on me.

However, your story was a sweet end to my day. I was just checking the forum for some warmth and sensitivity from my friends, and there was your story! I truly believe this was the reason you felt the need to take these few pieces of wood from the old home place, and you are right, now a piece of our wonderful memories will be in your and Carol's home forever!

There are still so many things I can not put completely to rest, but I am still trying. For the first time this year, I did not write a tribute for either mother or daddy on the forum. Actually, I did write them, but I did not post them. I keep reminding myself of the way I think they would want me to be, and it would not be feeling the sorrow of their loss, but rather a celebration of all that we had with them.

One other thing, that board is not all that makes your home a part of daddy. Obviously, your ability to do some carpentry came from him, and many other talents and traits you, John, and I have. The greatest compliment I could ever receive is to hear from the two of you that I am just like our mother! I hope so....I could never find a fault in her, and as I grow older I hope to find that I am more and more like her every day!

I love you!
Lil Sis

and make it as complete as we can. I still feel like an orphan, and if it were not for you and Lil Brother, I doubt I could keep on as well as I have. Of course I have my children and grandchildren, but that's a different puzzle all together! I love you both, Lil Sis

good ones, but you do have some. You are right, because your father left your life so young, he did not have time to make right what he had done wrong. But he was still your father, and had he had the time, I feel he would have done just that. There are other good memories, you may just have to make yourself dig a little deeper for them. The shovel is priceless, and in keeping it, it means to me that you do have some forgiveness in your heart....so grow on that thought! And think hard, for there are stories you could tell us about some other good times that perhaps you have blocked out! :)

of the unhappiest days of your life! A coincidence??? I think not! She is someone that can comfort your heart. You can remember your father, and thank God you married Alice on this date! Bittersweet, sure, but a day at a time, Mikey!

Sunny skies, clear waters, calm seas!
:)

and I would be just tickled to make you a new one.

It may take me a while to find the right piece of wood, but find it I will if you decide to take me up on it.

I don't have a wood shop for nothin' you know.

Email me and we can get particulars goin'. <><

aj

Thanks for sharing,my greatest fear in life will be to handle the loss of a loved one,I hope I have the strenth when I have to cross that bridge.Your family has great grace and has crossed that brige with dignity. ojm

which will probably be today, I will see if she has replaced it yet. She doesn't delay on much.

I sure appreciate the offer too!! :super:

we went out to the garage and she could not find it. She told me that she didn't think she threw it away and would look for it later. Who knows??