Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Strange fossil find

rjpdigger

Looks like a egg has a shell, membrane, white area and a yolk. If it looks like a duck doe's it quack?? ( sort of a pun)

Concretion. They are also known as 'thundereggs' for obvious reasons. In weathered limestone/dolostone country they are often composed of chert.

It looks like a type of dinosaur egg. I'm not a paleontologist but if that is not a petrified or fossilized egg, so then what is? It definetely to me is an egg. Good find definetely. I recently found one too, but mine is more difficult to know what it is because it looks like a petrified potatoe. Regards.

looks like a real egg to me also , pretty kool find :biggrin:

thundereggs have colour in them and rare for them to be a real egg shape like that one. https://www.google.com.au/search?q='thundereggs&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GIWA_enAU680AU680&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinhf28ssPNAhXOq5QKHa74D7kQ_AUICCgB&biw=1344&bih=622

glad i popped in and seen that !!

AJ

Not true, aj. I have collected many many thundereggs in eastern TN limestones that look exactly like fossilized eggs. Colors vary by region; around here they are typically black inside white. Authentic fossilized eggs do NOT look like that.

OP, take your finds to a local rock club or gem/mineral show. Or to your local geology dept. They can id them for you. I know we all want our finds to be unique and valuable but internet experts aren't worth what you pay them. See someone you know is a geologist. And yes, I am a retired geologist.

The tipoff is this: what was the geological setting in which it was found? If it was in carbonate sediments such as limestone, it is a concretion, not an egg. Silicate metasediments are often sources of fossils but an egg would not have survived metamorphasis intact. If it was in nonmetamorphized silicate sediments or volcanic ash beds known to have produced fossils in the past, it still might be a concretion but "egg" is a possibility.