Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Strange Problem or User Error

Digger499

I received a new Simplex about a week ago and have about 10 hours on the machine. Absolutely love the depth, recovery speed and sensitivity. Already found several wheats and silver dimes in areas I have gone over many times with other detectors.

But I'm having a strange problem. The unit arrived with v2.77. I've notice that if/when I lightly tap the coil on the ground, the unit will consistently will cause a tone and a 98 on the VDI. This occurs, for instance, when placing the unit on the ground to dig a find or just during normal operation by bumping the ground. I'm not slamming the coil, but lightly tapping the coil or lightly bumping the ground during normal sweep. I can also cause a false VDI of 98 to occur by having the coil approach the ground but not touch. Further testing, I found that lightly tapping the coil when in mid-air also causes a false signal of 96-98 to occur. Bad coil? Anyone else having strange false signal when lightly tapping the coil on the ground?

Hopefully this isn't a defective unit. That would be disappointed after owning for only a week, but crap happens.

btw...I made sure the coil cable connection is tight and battery fully charged, etc. Other than this strange problem, all appears to working normal, but I do get false 96-98 signals if the coil approaches or taps the ground.

I've been thinking about these coil options on the new coils and I see no reason to buy a new one. If they would have made a smaller DD coil I might have been interested but not a round and definitely not an Eliptical. My stock coil would be far superior.

Hello Digger499 I think what's happening is ground balance fluctuation it happens to my Simplex as well and over the 30 + years its done it with all my other detectors and coils so i wouldn't worry about it to much.

after cutting field grass, etc around an old farm [which have small stems left] If I bump some, the coil sounds off too. It worry's me that the coil might get bad some day

Had a gold detector with similar symptoms that was excellent (very sensitive) on small gold. It helped to wrap cable firmly to shaft and try to avoid bumping rocks. I adapted to the nature of that detector.

after cutting field grass, etc around an old farm [which have small stems left] If I bump some, the coil sounds off too. It worry's me that the coil might get bad some day

Do you have a COIL COVER to help protect it from rocks & etc from harming it? Very important --I tried to keep one on mine, but when sent in for repairs, White's repair service didn't return the coil cover, so watch out!! Ma Betty

Bumping a coil on anything can cause an audio false . Nothing new detectors have been doing it since I started late 1960's. You'll eventually get into the habit of not bumping the ground and avoiding hitting any other objects.

thanx Ma, I thought a Simplex comes with one, it looks like it has one on it...

Well my detectors were in the 1980's & the coils didn't come with one--Well anyway White's brand didn't! I forget how advanced detectors & accessories have become! My last one was the Spectrum XLT & I quit detecting in 2006 or 2007 after my ill brother came from FL in 2006 to live with me & when I became too ill--SO SAD--I really enjoyed MD'ING! May God bless with lots of good finds! Ma Betty

Thanks for the feedback Gents. The Simplex does come with a coil cover.

The unit is still within the window for a return, but it sounds like this may be normal behavior. I have a Land Ranger Pro that does not have this issue. I've been detecting for 40 years. My first detector was a Bounty Hunter VLF all analog.

The Simplex is definitely a sensitive machine, but it's taking some time to get familiar with it. It's a little frustrating when I get high tones just setting it down on the ground. Tonight I was detecting an old forgotten forest road and found a 1944 wheat, but all the twigs and fallen branches caused a frustrating experience of false signals.