Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Street construction seated and friends. First attempt at water detecting.

Chris(SoCenWI)

Howdy All,
It's been quite some time since I found anything worth posting.

I'm up in Minnesota, came across a couple of towns with street construction projects.

2023_08_26.jpg

The 1876 dime came from a town near Minnnesota's Iron Range. Very weird detecting; few non-ferrous targets, and couldn't lock on with the EX-II when I did get over something. It sounded much like what was discussed recently on another forum on this site- black magnetic sand. I knew floodplaindetector had detected this town and he said he had similar issues.

If this construction site had been elsewhere in MN or WI I would have expected dozens of coins from the era to come out of the ground. I suspect the mineralization. Unless someone detected it previously and nicely filled in all their holes.

The IH and two V-nickels were from another site.

I bought a sand scoop a couple of years back. Today it got wet, along with the NOX 800 for the first time.

I had a heck of a time pinpointing and digging the target. I gave up on several targets after doing a half dozen scoops but the signal remained. I finally had a signal disappear so I looked in the scoop and found a dime.

2023_08_28_First Water Coin.jpg

Much to learn, will post some questions on the beach and water forum.

Chris(SoCenWI)

Attachments

• 2023_08_26.jpg
    2023_08_26.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 2023_08_28_First Water Coin.jpg
    2023_08_28_First Water Coin.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 54
Howdy All,
It's been quite some time since I found anything worth posting.

I'm up in Minnesota, came across a couple of towns with street construction projects.

View attachment 45541

The 1876 dime came from a town near Minnnesota's Iron Range. Very weird detecting; few non-ferrous targets, and couldn't lock on with the EX-II when I did get over something. It sounded much like what was discussed recently on another forum on this site- black magnetic sand. I knew floodplaindetector had detected this town and he said he had similar issues.

If this construction site had been elsewhere in MN or WI I would have expected dozens of coins from the era to come out of the ground. I suspect the mineralization. Unless someone detected it previously and nicely filled in all their holes.

The IH and two V-nickels were from another site.

I bought a sand scoop a couple of years back. Today it got wet, along with the NOX 800 for the first time.

I had a heck of a time pinpointing and digging the target. I gave up on several targets after doing a half dozen scoops but the signal remained. I finally had a signal disappear so I looked in the scoop and found a dime.

View attachment 45542

Much to learn, will post some questions on the beach and water forum.

Chris(SoCenWI)
Nice diggins. Nice work.

Nice Old Finds Chris. It is always nice to see a seated liberty pop up as they don't come up often.
Yes, that area you hunted in has always been very tough to get good depth and old coins in. Seems like there was alot of iron in the ground and mineralization going on.

I tried water detecting one time years ago by wading into a lake and was amazed at how tough it was to pinpoint and retrieve the target
underwater so kudos to those hunting in the water as it is not easy at all.

Dave

Nice Old Finds Chris. It is always nice to see a seated liberty pop up as they don't come up often.
Yes, that area you hunted in has always been very tough to get good depth and old coins in. Seems like there was alot of iron in the ground and mineralization going on.

I tried water detecting one time years ago by wading into a lake and was amazed at how tough it was to pinpoint and retrieve the target
underwater so kudos to those hunting in the water as it is not easy at all.

Dave
water hunting is not easy especially where I detect rocks big rocks are the main reason but thats where the goods are.
Mark

I have a very clear memory of my only Seated dime, I think I sat there for s few minutes wondering how, why, what, huh…..
Good recoveries for sure!!!

Beautiful coins!! Glad you seized the opportunity before the new pavement is installed.

thats a nice find for Minnesota, I also live in Minnesota,