Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stuck on Overload

Flying Pig

Took off work early today to get out with the V3i. Found a nice spot and when I powered it up, the machine is "Stuck on Overload" ...it won't do anything but gowl (loudly) at me. Pulling trigger, changing modes, nothing changes the overload sound. The screen even says overload.

Anyone ever have this happen or suggestions. I have only had the machine coming up on one year so I have had no experience sending it in. From the manual it appears there are a few Service Centers, but I was hoping for a "Help Desk", but I suppose that would be unrealistic.

Appreciate your thoughts....

Flying Pig (joe)

Disconnect the coil. If the overload goes away when the coil is disconnected you found the problem. OR, connect another coil.

Yes, This once happen to me. YOUR COIL IS BAD. When this happen to me I call whites electronics, told them what was going on, They told me that the coil is bad. (shorted, got wet, etc.) They asked me what type of coil & detector you have. Told them V3i and D2 coil. My coil came stocked with my detector, whites electronics replaced my D2 coil free of charge. Stocked coil have a life time guarantee with whites. If your coil is after market that is something different. Maybe get a replacement from the manufacturer.

Do you have a coil cover and if so did you look for anything in it to cause overload? Some soils could have enuff stuff in it to cause a overload . Just a thought. Good Luck 2 Ya .Yazoo

No coil cover. I did disconnect the coil and the overload goes away....sounds like the issue is with the coil. I probably would not have discovered this on my own.

Thank you all!

ps...when you say contacting whites, do you mean their Customer Service Dept.?

Just call Sweethome, and they will direct you. They will take care of you.

[attachment 255388 2013-01-08_154601.jpg]

Showing my ignorance but "Sweethome"?

If you bought it from a local dealer, you might want to contact them first but if not, a call to the factory will get a new coil in the mail. 1-541-367-6121

The factory.

White's Electronics
1011 Pleasant Valley Road
Sweet Home, OR 97386

It is the factory.

[attachment 255408 2013-01-24_194550.jpg]

Got it........Thanks!

Jrjammer said:
Yes, This once happen to me. YOUR COIL IS BAD. When this happen to me I call whites electronics, told them what was going on, They told me that the coil is bad. (shorted, got wet, etc.) They asked me what type of coil & detector you have. Told them V3i and D2 coil. My coil came stocked with my detector, whites electronics replaced my D2 coil free of charge. Stocked coil have a life time guarantee with whites. If your coil is after market that is something different. Maybe get a replacement from the manufacturer.

"Stocked coil have a life time guarantee with whites."

Is this a fact and if so, does it apply to any owner of a whites coil? I certainly know that Whites is stellar in CS but knowing absolutely that the warranty is similar to what Sears used to do on their hand tools, will be a comfort, and a good selling point. I just never heard this stated before. martin

This has happened to me before, I had put some ceran wrap over the box and a bag over the screen because it was a light drizzle and I felt like hunting, what had happened was a small amount of water had entered the coil connection to the box and was shorting it out, I removed the coil blew out the water and let her dry, an hour later she was running like new. Also wouldn't hurt to pull the battery while the machine is powered on. As the others have said it's probably a bad coil and whites will send you

you guys were right again.....called and Mary said we'll send a new coil right out to you!

once again thanks for helping to save some time and needless agrivation.

Have a great weekend.

[attachment 255459 2013-01-25_155252.jpg]

I wonder if the boost was on and the gain set too high. I have seen this happen to one of my coils before. When I lowered the settings it stopped the overload. Still coil may have been bad too I guess.