Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Suggestions on a good digging tool

Clad Daddy

The Gator digger that Kellyco threw in free with my Garrett Pro Pointer is worth what I paid for it. I'm looking to get a better one. Thanks for your help.

Dang, I love my Gator. My wife uses a Lesche, but I like the Gator better. I'd offer to buy yours off you, but I seriously doubt I can ever wear the one I have out.

I use a Lesche Digging Tool. Can't find a need for anything else. I got the one with serrations on the Left hand side of the tool. Works for me.

Hori-Hori knife. Google it.

My Gator has broken throught the plastic on the top of the digging tool and makes for painful digging. I only have had it for 4 weeks. I guess I need somehting for really hard ground.

Lesche Digger......end of story! :hot:

raven or predetor for shovel and lesche for trowel if you dont want to spend alot of money ust by a spade shovel or a trench shovel for the shovel and lowes sells nice varieties of trowels for 10$ price range but they are not too strong.

I really like the lesch knife, it is expensive but its worth the money , great at cutting plugs and roots, and hard ground , it blows away the gator, IMO the Wilcox 18" trowel (see close up ) is a great digging tool for prying and digging plugs deeper after the plug is out , also digs thru gravle good , now if you have kansas sodd and i mean the tuff stuff, like we got around hear the preditor shovle cuts tru it with ease, a must have I would not bring it to a school yard, but in the woods or farm feild or pasture, built like a tank, and can dubble as a weapon of defence should a wild bore dart from the brush,

Clad Daddy said:
My Gator has broken throught the plastic on the top of the digging tool and makes for painful digging. I only have had it for 4 weeks. I guess I need somehting for really hard ground.

Go to Lowes/HomeD and get a pack(they dont come in singles) of 1" chair rubber thingies for about a dollar. Extra thick on the bottom and cushion your palm very well. I also sharpen my trowel from time to time when the soil is dry.

I also advise against any common garden trowel as they break easily in hard ground. I cant imagine a Gator or Lesche breaking the way common trowels do. Ask me how I know that.

Lesche hand digger is the best. I have used one for at least 6 years. I do need input on how to sharpen the serrated part of the blade.

t8474kj1 said:
Lesche hand digger is the best. I have used one for at least 6 years. I do need input on how to sharpen the serrated part of the blade.
Small hand file while you watch TV. They do make diamond impregnated tools for knife sharpening that will work, but you really dont need that fine an edge on a MD tool.

Picked up a FISKARS EA112 a couple of weeks ago at WalMart of all places and have been impressed with the quality and the price (Less than $8.00). It resembles the Lesche a little - serrations on one side, edge on the opposite side and a deep sharp vee notch at the tip. Robust design and very comfortable handle - works for excavating a plug around a find. I have also used a dandelion digger as a prying tool on deeper junk. I use an old CB antenna with a blunt tip with a comfortable handle made from a couch leg to probe near the surface for clad. I also have a similar tool with a pointed piece of a fiberglass fishing pole for deep probing to avoid damaging silver. In my early days I gouged a very nice walking liberty half with a metal probe, so I have become a little more gentle probing. All responses in this post have been good - so whatever works best for your style and soil conditions.

Fantax

I used my lesche for the first time yesterday. I didn't like the way it dug.. I guess I'll sharpen it and see if I like it better. I'm used to using butcher knifes to dig plugs fast clean and easy, athough not as strong as the "diggers" but I've never broken one in the past 25 years or so I've MD.