Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Summary of CTX3030 updates

Mike Gresham

Hello; I purchased a new CTX3030 back in 2013 and love it. Over the past 2-3 years I haven't hunted much due to career and health issues, but was wondering what updates Minelab has done to the 3030 since 2013?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

And the highly coveted “Chinese Language Update” that everyone(who speaks Mandarin) is SURELY raving about! :lmfao:

Seriously though guys,although a few tweaks COULD be made, I absolutely ADORE my CTX and would give my left one for another if something happened to the one I’ve got. For a COIN hunter who demands the best target ID available,it is indispensable. It truly is one of my most treasured possessions,no lie. I’m not quite sure I like the balance of the Equinox and stock coil that I swung for just a few minutes,I’m sure it would be better with the 6” coil. Regardless,both of the Minelabs I’ve got have been(and continue to be) specTACular.

That is good news indeed regarding an update. Yes my 3030 already has the pinpoint lock and I am glad it does.

One other question - I went ahead and ordered the Minelab 17" DD coil. It just came in yesterday but I haven't used it yet. Do you think I will need the Minelab shoulder harness with this larger coil?

Thanks again for everyone's opinions.

Mike,

I’m 74 and have used the CTX since its introduction. Since buying the 17” coil, I can only swing an average of 2-3 hours a day without the harness. AlthoughI don’t have a harness, I doubt I will buy one since I am happy with only hunting 2-3 hours a day. So, depending on your age & state of health, & how long you hunt each day, you might consider one. Hopefully, someone with a harness will post a more helpful reply! Best of luck.

I’ve got a 17” coil that is kinda my goto coil.
I’ve got one of the cheap harnesses and used it once and found it more in the way, maybe would have got better with more use but I gave up on it.
I find if your in a spot that requires digging everything like I do the 17 is not bad because your setting the machine down to dig .
I’ve been in spots that are clean and signals are far and few then it gets heavy.
I’ve got a little age behind me and I’m retired so 2 to 3 hours is all I need and that’s ok , I can switch arms to swing with too.
I’ve got a 6” coil and when I put it on it’s like nothing is there compared to the big one
I’d say try it without a harness and see how it goes
BT

I highly recommend the Pro Swing. I hunt plowed fields that have stubble in them and long hunts. I'm 62.

Like Ben said,and others know also...going to the 6” coil from the 17” is just about comical,it is SO light it’s like you forgot to put a coil on altogether!:) The 17” is my “go to” coil as well,because most of my sites are big old wide open turf(fairgrounds and parks/ballfields). I can also recommend the Pro Swing or at least SOME type of harness/sling IF your targets are few and far between. If you’re digging a target every 5-10 minutes then the 17” isn’t a problem. It’s imperative that one keeps good coil control with the 17”,it’s easy to swing it sloppily because of the weight and size. Going BACK to the stock coil feels like going to a small coil after swinging that mammoth for awhile,but I gotta say....it is EFFECTIVE,and that’s what matters to most of us who hunt seriously. And by “ hunt seriously” I mean that we have a certain target or group of targets that we look for,and expect to come home with at least one of these when we go hunting. I don’t think CTX users are “willy nilly” hunters who just go digging holes....

Thanks everybody for the replies and comments. I have ordered the Pro Swing harness and will let everyone know how it works.

You might want to make one of these for your 17" coil if you hunt in stubble.I used a piece of plastic wall covering for a shower insert a friend of mine had laying around. I traced it out and added a little to it and cut it out. My thought is stuff might wedge itself between the cover and the coil. So I heated the plastic up with a heat gun and bent a edge with a pair of pliers all the way around it (DON'T HEAT IT UP ON THE COIL!!!). Then zip tied it to the coil.

moreb said:
I highly recommend the Pro Swing. I hunt plowed fields that have stubble in them and long hunts. I'm 62.

Ditto what he said about the Pro Swing. I am 37 and I use a harness that I made myself, but the Pro Swing is the gold standard. I have had the CTX since it was introduced, and after a few bouts of tennis elbow and trigger finger on my middle finger, I decided that I would fall apart without a harness.

62, huh? Not till tomorrow :cheers:

Mike, let us know what you think of the pro swing , that’s the one I bought and tried.
I’d like to know what you think about it
BT

Guys, I got to tell ya. That 17" DD coil is amazing. My only regret is not buying it when it was first introduced by Minelab. It was warm and sunny on Sunday so me and a friend went back to an old yard which I have pounded over the years. I really didn't expect to find anything, I just wanted to feel the coil and the Pro Swing harness. My first acceptable signal was a tiny sterling silver woman's ring about 6" deep. Right where I had hunted for years with the 11" coil. And the ring's signal was strong and bouncing into the 12-45 range. No way I could have walked past it. The remainder of the day was just working with the harness and getting it adjusted correctly. After I worked out all the kinks, it performs as advertised. On flat level ground the CTX3030 almost swings itself with slight hip motion.

My finds bag would not attach to the harness belt due to the belt's velcro keeper flap, so I improvised. I took a razor knife and sliced 2 slots on the back of my bag and then threaded the belt through the slots so that the velcro flap would attach to itself. Works like a champ. Now I'm going to explore for a small butt pack which will attach to the back of the harness to haul water, accessories, and yes, toilet paper!

Thanks everybody for your posts.

Hello,

I've decided to give my harness a try. I've snapped in the j-strut incorrectly and can't seem to get to unsnap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SP

It is a tight snap. But it will come back apart. Don't be afraid to pull on it. I did it a couple of times before I figured it out.

SurfPro said:
Hello,

I've decided to give my harness a try. I've snapped in the j-strut incorrectly and can't seem to get to unsnap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SP

You just have to pull real hard to get it to unsnap. I had to lay my harness on the floor and hold it down with my foot and use both hands to pull the strut out of attachment.

I'm now 67 and I've used the 3030 with 17" coil for 2 yrs now and only beach and water hunting. I go an average of 6 hrs/day w/o a harness and change arms every 30 to 60 minutes. I look at it as developing stamina and as my daily workout. I have the pro swing and it does work well once adjusted, but prefer the freedom of no harness. NEVER use a harness in water - too many dangers.

Regarding updates, please don't forget about the battery seal update.
Love my 17" coil, that I swing 5-6 hrs/day at age 67. My go to coil.
My data show that you get about 10% more good targets with the 17" vs 11" coil on the CTX 3030 over the same hunt time.
And, regarding the 17" coil, please note that dealers have the CTX 3030 on sale now (Jan 2019) and get the 17" coil FREE!!!! Cost me about $400!