Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sun ray pro gold head phone switches

rsarge1

I have the sunray golds for the ctx and am having problems with the switches getting bumped and moved does anyone have a remedy for this problem?

yep but probably not the answer your looking for.

make a set with no knobs or switches :biggrin:

AJ

008.jpg

LOL you're right more money and work I want to do, just looking for a quick fix, I store them in a bag and when I go to use them they are off, so I put the switches back then start to detect and they get changed again when I have to re-position or take off the head phones, no big deal just a pain to keep having to deal with the switches all the time. hoping someone has figured out a cover for them and would like to share.

well I think I have a temp solution I attached a rubber band to each of the switches to the ear cup frame so when it gets bumped or moved it will pull back into place, we will see next time I go out LOL

I have the same problem with them. Just a really poor design, wonder if these guys ever used/tested them before release! It's called human factors engineering, bummer!

rsarge1 said:
where do you find locking toggles? would they be hard to do?

It would require dissasembling the ear cups, unsoldering the existing switches. removing the old and replacing them, re-soldering, then re-assembly

Sarge,

I've often considered shaping and gluing a short section of pvc pipe around each of the switches...to form a 'shroud'. (maybe pipe near a 3/4 or inch dia, and slightly longer than the switch?)

In my case, I'm trying to get the rain to go around the switch...as opposed to going in the switch.

But the plastic shroud(s) should also prevent bumping issues.

Might be worth a try...

:)
mike

trojdor said:
Sarge,

I've often considered shaping and gluing a short section of pvc pipe around each of the switches...to form a 'shroud'. (maybe pipe near a 3/4 or inch dia, and slightly longer than the switch?)

In my case, I'm trying to get the rain to go around the switch...as opposed to going in the switch.

But the plastic shroud(s) should also prevent bumping issues.

Might be worth a try...

:)
mike
ok thanks

I had the same complaint when i first got mine. It was sugested to me to unthread the outer nut and just push the switch inside the headphones. Maybe some tape over the holes? Never did do it though. I'm so used to it now I just remember where the switchs need to be.

I e-mailed Ralph at sun ray and he put me in touch with John Smith who builds the headphones he is willing to replace the switches with locking switches for a price of course plus shipping, I am sending them to him tomorrow instead of mickey rigging them they will be done right, good thing I have a back up pair of grey ghosts LOL it is worth it to me . thanks everyone for your help happy hunting all.

rsarge1 said:
I e-mailed Ralph at sun ray and he put me in touch with John Smith who builds the headphones he is willing to replace the switches with locking switches for a price of course plus shipping, I am sending them to him tomorrow instead of mickey rigging them they will be done right, good thing I have a back up pair of grey ghosts LOL it is worth it to me . thanks everyone for your help happy hunting all.

Hi Sarge;

Can you post/share the contact information for John Smith? I would like to have him replace my switches with locking switches also!

Thanks,

Altamaha

Altamaha said:
rsarge1 said:

Hi Sarge;

Can you post/share the contact information for John Smith? I would like to have him replace my switches with locking switches also!

Thanks,

Altamaha
sure:

John Smith:
e-mail: johnsmith55@bellsouth.net
phone: 205-239-6680

rsarge1 said:
Altamaha said:
rsarge1 said:

Hi Sarge;

Thanks,

Altamaha
sure:

John Smith:
e-mail: johnsmith55@bellsouth.net
phone: 205-239-6680

Thanks for the post/share Sarge!

Altamaha

HH

got my head phones back today the locking switches are great now they wont move unless I want them to have to wait until weds to try them on a hunt but so far they are sweet .

I got rid of both useless switches after my last trip was ruined by a broken mode switch.
You dont need the switches unless you use the phones with other detectors (non- ctx3030).

Credit for this modification goes to forum user "Charles UpstateNY" --- thanks Charles.

I would add only one clarification : where it says to splice the two red wires together - one of the wires must first be clipped away from the speaker ground leaving the original white wire still attached to speaker ground.
Then, yes, you will splice that red wire directly to the other red wire.

Quote from Charles :
Here's the mod. On the earphone with the two toggle switches...

1. Remove the ear cup on the side with the 2 toggle switches. It just pops off but you might need a small screwdriver to wedge the two halfs apart.
2. Cut the wires to the toggle switches and remove them.
3. Remove the two red wires from the center lug of the volume pot and discard them, desolder the lug you will be soldering 2 wires back on there.
4. Splice the 2 red wires together and seal with some shrink wrap tube.
5. Solder the black and the blue wires to the center lug of the volume pot.

I plugged the holes with Marine Goop and while I was at it, I swapped the pads for thick gel pads from Aircraft Spruce.
So, when you are done you have a great set of phones for the CTX with the original individual volume control knobs.
Works great !