Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunken ghost town finds....1880s finds

Mcdetect

Hunted a sunken ghost town today that was submerged in the 1950s or 60s but was founded in the late 1800s. Found two indian head pennies, a son of civil war vets medal, warranted flask and porcelain cherub figure. All items seem to date to the 1880s.

Awesome, you found both pieces of the of medal... i found one several years ago and i think tony from mich. found one recently ... cool finds..

Nice. :drool:
They practically have armed guards at Folsom Lake when Morman Island emerge when the lake dries up.

I don't understand that logic? Instead of allowing someone to metal detect and share history, they would rather leave history where it lays. (No one will ever know though, because no one can dig it up?) So it is not History at all! It's just LOST! But, I don't make the rules!!!

Dang said:
They practically have armed guards at Folsom Lake when Morman Island emerge when the lake dries up.

I don't understand that logic? Instead of allowing someone to metal detect and share history, they would rather leave history where it lays. (No one will ever know though, because no one can dig it up?) So it is not History at all! It's just LOST! But, I don't make the rules!!!

Dang said:

The sad part about leaving things in the ground is they continue to degrade until they are worthless and unrecognizable....especially coins. In my area most older wheat cents, indian or older copper or copper/nickel (v nickel, etc) coins are destroyed. Pretty much unreadable. I'm so jealous when I see people pulling readable old non-silver coins from the ground. We have very unforgiving dirt around here unfortunately.

And not only that...i work with a guy who's been going to collage all his life and he has a degree in archeology. He knows I'm into detecting and he says it's against the law to remove anything from public property that's older then 50 years.
Our discussions
Me: "I'm going to GB park to do some detecting tomorrow."
Him: "Oh oh! Thats public property. Under the archeology act of blah blah blah section 123 bs bs bs, you're not allowed to remove any historical item over 50 years old."
Me: "Even if it's just a mercury dime or or a square nail?"
Him: "Yes. What I suggest you do is to take a picture of what you find and rebury it where you find it."
Me: "@#$% you I'm keeping what I find!"

WOW! That's all I got to say about that!

Dang said:
And not only that...i work with a guy who's been going to collage all his life and he has a degree in archeology. He knows I'm into detecting and he says it's against the law to remove anything from public property that's older then 50 years.
Our discussions
Me: "I'm going to GB park to do some detecting tomorrow."
Him: "Oh oh! Thats public property. Under the archeology act of blah blah blah section 123 bs bs bs, you're not allowed to remove any historical item over 50 years old."
Me: "Even if it's just a mercury dime or or a square nail?"
Him: "Yes. What I suggest you do is to take a picture of what you find and rebury it where you find it."
Me: "@#$% you I'm keeping what I find!"

Tell him to go dig up some dinosaur bones. 50 years ago was 1967...hardly historic by any stretch of the imagination. I guess next we won't be able to drive any cars that are more than 50 years old because they should all be preserved in wax instead.

And what about all the coins that are currently in circulation that are older than 50 years...do we need to stop using those?

Yup, take a picture of them and go out and bury them!!! LOL

Mcdetect said:
And what about all the coins that are currently in circulation that are older than 50 years...do we need to stop using those?

Great mix of finds....I hear ya, Dang. When I was visited family in the El Dorado Hills area I mentioned the desire to hunt the lake when levels were low. He echoed the same tired lecture you had to endure, too. At least I was able to score an old army knife or fork closer to Hwy 50....

Following up on Timwied and Dang's post I am a member and volunteer at our local historical society. They own an old building dating to 1916 and property across a former Indian trail which is now a paved roadway. I asked permission to detect the area across the road. There is an old horse fountain still there. Well, after a couple of months of discussion and bringing my request before the committee I was turned down flat. The reasoning was that if I found any artifacts of historical significance the site would have to be shut down and the state notified so that they could do a dig. I asked the committee chair what was the point in leaving things in the ground? His response was that items in the ground are considered "preserved".

Really nice finds Mcdetect. Betting it was a lot of fun hunting that old town. I used to live in Kentucky and I think that there are a number of drowned towns at the bottom of several man made lakes there. HH