Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunspot new handle design

erikk

Sunspot new scoop handle design:
I have been water hunting for many years and have used a bunch of scoops- some good, some bad. For the past several years I have been using Sun Spot Stealth scoops,both sizes and have found them to be of excellent quality and well adapted to hunting both here in SWFL & in the lakes in upstate NY.
So, when I saw that they came out with a new handle design I thought I might give it a try. Bear in mind that I am a died in the wool wood handle hunter and didn

I also like the Sun-Spot scoop. Have not seen the bent handle. I have and use the 2-part travel handle which I like very well. I will check out the bent handle on their web-site. Be down your way soon. Thanks for the information. HH :minelab:

If you are coming .... please leave your machine at home :rofl: Im going to have to wrap a bread tie around Erikks coil as it is.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
If you are coming .... please leave your machine at home :rofl: Im going to have to wrap a bread tie around Erikks coil as it is.

Dew

You had better have several.....

Sun-Spot Stealth scoops. Good people to deal with and a very good product. Dew, I,m not sure erikk slows down long enough to put a tie on his coil. Hope the snow bird drops are keeping you guy's busy. HH :minelab:

I like the looks of the new handle, but the price seems a bit high. I already have $200 into my Sunspot scoop and adding another $105 for the handle means over $300 just into one scoop! :surprised:

ZOFCHAK said:
I like the looks of the new handle, but the price seems a bit high. I already have $200 into my Sunspot scoop and adding another $105 for the handle means over $300 just into one scoop! :surprised:
And how much invested in detectors........:detecting:

It was a little pricy i thought as well. Man Erikk you didnt go there about my one and only scoop.... i get no respect. Hershey1 the problem i see with the snow bird are they dont drop enough and half of them now have detectors. There were 4 out there on a small beach with me today in windy cool weather.

Dew

Cost me $22.00 for the tubing.
By the way you can use heavier walled tubing than I used if needed.
Like those new Sunspot scoops, might be tempted to get one of the smaller ones for dry sand hunting.
Tired of bending over with my hand held scoop, having to make multiple scoops for those deeper items.
Scoop handle
scoopmodthumb.jpg

dewcon4414 said:
It was a little pricy i thought as well. Man Erikk you didnt go there about my one and only scoop.... i get no respect. Hershey1 the problem i see with the snow bird are they dont drop enough and half of them now have detectors. There were 4 out there on a small beach with me today in windy cool weather.

Dew
Keep posting finds and more will come. Pricy? How much did U pay for your excal 2 What good is finding it if you cant bring it up. The time you only get one shot at that big old gold ring before the roller takes you out & it is gone forever

Sven said:
Cost me $22.00 for the tubing.
By the way you can use heavier walled tubing than I used if needed.
Like those new Sunspot scoops, might be tempted to get one of the smaller ones for dry sand hunting.
Tired of bending over with my hand held scoop, having to make multiple scoops for those deeper items.
Scoop handle
scoopmodthumb.jpg

Does it FLOAT?

Sven... you were supposed to report how well it worked. Does it give in the bent areas? How did you bend it? I do like the way it looks thou. Id also like it a tad longer than from my arm pit because at shoulder deep and lot of wave action you need some extra stand up room. Erikk.... im only posting finds from Siesta Keys lol. I do hear you about only getting one shot at some of those, especially in the oat meal... man those are there then GONE. Erikk.... im waiting on the friends and family deal.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
Sven... you were supposed to report how well it worked. Does it give in the bent areas? How did you bend it? I do like the way it looks thou. Id also like it a tad longer than from my arm pit because at shoulder deep and lot of wave action you need some extra stand up room. Erikk.... im only posting finds from Siesta Keys lol. I do hear you about only getting one shot at some of those, especially in the oat meal... man those are there then GONE. Erikk.... im waiting on the friends and family deal.

Dew
Yup just what we need, more hunters at Siesta

you guys should be happy to have us snowbirds down there. without us there would be nothing to find and your taxes would be thru the roof like us up here in n.y hahaha just think of us poor guys up here swingin in snow......of course i do understand what youre sayin i have a friend in ft meyers and he says it gets pretty crowded for sure. have a great newyear and the next time youre out swingin an grumblin think of -12 and a foot of snow.. itll help i bet.. hh;)

dewcon4414 said:

Dew

guess you didn't go to my website for the info:
http://www.treasurelinx.com/mods_2.html

You can also read about it in my original post on Findmall:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,1559788,1559788#msg-1559788

I have not had it bend so far using the dia. aluminum tube purchased. I did find out a month ago, that I can also get a thicker walled tube.
Alum does not float. but you can do what Sunspot does, plug the bottom with a wooden dowl and epoxy. Then cap the top. Traps an air pocket. Only concern I would have is
internal sweating, condensation due to in water and out water temp differences. May or may not be a problem depending upon climate.

Sven said:
dewcon4414 said:

Dew

guess you didn't go to my website for the info:
http://www.treasurelinx.com/mods_2.html

You can also read about it in my original post on Findmall:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,1559788,1559788#msg-1559788

I have not had it bend so far using the dia. aluminum tube purchased. I did find out a month ago, that I can also get a thicker walled tube.
Alum does not float. but you can do what Sunspot does, plug the bottom with a wooden dowl and epoxy. Then cap the top. Traps an air pocket. Only concern I would have is
internal sweating, condensation due to in water and out water temp differences. May or may not be a problem depending upon climate.
I KNOW ALUMINUM DOES NOT FLOAT, that is why you see all the other metal scoops covered with bulky foam looking like a mismatched Christmas tree :)

OK, so now I find and buy thicker wall tubing (pay shipping if I can't find it local), pay someone to bend it properly(and since they are not making scoop handles on a regular basis may screw up the first one) without kinking it, get a hardwood dowel and tool up to turn to proper diameter ID of tube and epoxy in place both ends. I can then buy the aluminum primer & then the texture coat and spray paint several coats. OR I could just buy one already made. Yes, I know I could probably make one as I also make my own straight shafts but everyone does not have the same comfort zone when it comes to building things-The info I offered is for the ones that dont

If the person who has a tubing bender can measure and has been bending tubing for some time would have no problem
bending. Not rocket science making a couple bends.
I decided not to paint. If you have some day glow adhesive tape you could just tape up the handle portion for high visibility.
I leave mine stuck upright in the water to mark my spot if I come ashore (freshwater lakes) for a spell.
You can make the basic handle or add to it, wood dowels, cap, handle, paint.......

Or just buy the handle from Sunspot, which was a great idea Chuck implemented for his scoops. Along with his new scoop design,
he may well now have the best scoops on the market.