Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Super light 1993 penny

Mcdetect

Yesterday I got a solid "19" signal on my Etrac that was fairly deep so I decided to dig it. For the non-etrackers out there...19 is squarely in the pull tab range. When I opened up the turf I was surprised to find a penny in the hole. My first thought was there had to be something else in the hole with it like a nickel since a zinc penny normally rings up in the 32 to 37 range on the etrac. But there was nothing else in the hole so I ran the penny across the coil and sure enough it rang up 19 again. Also when I got my finds home and cleaned them up I noticed the penny felt really light. The penny still has good smooth edges that aren't eaten away, and the surface of the coin is smooth and doesn't have that spiky texture like so many zincs we find.

Any ideas on why this penny rings up so low and is so light? I don't have a scale to weigh it but it does feel lighter than an ordinary zinc. No reason to add a picture since it looks like an ordinary zinc in decent shape.

There were some experimental aluminum pennies and it sounds and looks like you found one that got away from the mint.

1993 Wide AM Penny In 1993, the penny switched the A and M in "AMERICA" to a close design. They actually touch. On a few, they still have the old wide AM design. If you can find this one, it can be worth a few hundred dollars to a few thousand depending on the condition. As the others are, this penny is also rare. (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1993-penny-close-or-wide.272407/)