Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sure was nice to get out detecting today.....

Digger

Constitutional Patriot
Staff member
Temps here reached the low 40's today. So, I spent a couple hours working the XL Pro in a local park. Using the 5.3 BlackMax coil, I managed to come up with a few decent finds and a couple interesting observations. On two separate occassions, I hit a target that read "half" on the meter. One of these turned out to be 2 quarters and a dime, all stacked together about 3 inches deep. The other one was 3 quarters stacked up at 2 inches. In both instances, the coins were dirty on the exposed areas and still clean where they touched. I also found it interesting that I was able to pull out the gold ring and a nickel, even though I had my discrimination set to a level above foil. In all, I found 6 pull tabs, 3 screw caps, five quarters, several dimes, one nickel and a small handful of pennies. Only one of which was a wheat. Oh, and the three rings! One gold, one silver and the other seems to be an aluminum alloy of some sort. HH Randy

Randy had a a solid audio response above his set discriminate point, and not going after what was rejected and that he didn't hear.

Randy said he had the discrimination set above 'FOIL' and on my XL, Pro I knock out a Shield nickel at the short line above 'foil', and a two-tone gold ring I found is there until the longer line above 'foil.' Personally, I usually just set the rejection at the preset or lower to just knock out nails at a site, then recover all that beeps!

Monte

I typically run my discrimination slightly below the preset as well. But you would have to see this 120 year old park to believe the amount of trash in it. Having hunted it "off and on" for over 25 years, I knew that today was too nice of day to spend digging trash and hoping for that illusive gold coin! So, I simply bumped up the discrimination and went by the four indicators I have come to know and trust in my XL Pro.
1. Tone consistency. The tone must sound steady and be consistent from various directions.
2. Location consistency. The target must not "move" from one spot in discrimination to another spot in pinpoint.
3. No meter deflection to the left. If the needle moves to the left when sweeping over the target, I usually pass it up. Obviously, there were 5 pull tabs that I didn't pass up today.
4. Tone width. I am convinced that the tone made by a "keeper" sounds much narrower in the pinpoint mode than it does in the GEB DISC mode. Try this and see if you agree. Sweep over a buried coin target and notice the width of the tone. (You XL Pro vets know how sweet those old silver coins sound). Now, pull the trigger and sweep the coil over the same spot, at the same speed. Notice how much narrower the tone is now? I belive that accepted targets will be narrower and junk will produce a wider tone in pinpoint than it does in Disc. I conclude that the pinpoint "non-disc" mode is picking the target up over a broader area, producing the wider tone.

Any thoughts? HH Randy

RE: "Now, pull the trigger and sweep the coil over the same spot, at the same speed. Notice how much narrower the tone is now? I believe that accepted targets will be narrower and junk will produce a wider tone in pinpoint than it does in Disc. I conclude that the pinpoint "non-disc" mode is picking the target up over a broader area, producing the wider tone."

First you state that the signal will be narrower on a good target in pinpoint, then state that the pinpoint "non-disc" mode is picking the target up over a broader area, producing the wider tone. Would you do me a favor and clarify this? I just do not grasp what you are saying. Many thanks!

Not ignorance on your part. Just a poor description on mine. What I am trying to explain is that many targets sound the same on the initial pass, in GEB DISC. But, once you pull the trigger, bad targets have a much wider detection tone than coin type targets. Coin type targets seem to be much more tightly defined when you pull the trigger. So, what I listen for is a narrower tone when I pull the trigger than when I initially hear it. If the tone is wider with the trigger pulled than it was on the initial pass, it is likely junk.

So, if I add the words coil and junk to my initial statement, it might help explain what I am attempting to explain:
RE: "Now, pull the trigger and sweep the coil over the same spot, at the same speed. Notice how much narrower the tone is now? I believe that accepted targets will be narrower and junk will produce a wider tone in pinpoint than it does in Disc. I conclude that in the pinpoint "non-disc" mode, the coil is picking the JUNK target up over a broader area, producing the wider tone."

HH Randy