Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Surprise find!

Ga Rebel

Late yesterday, evening it was still real cool and windy, I took the MXT out for about 15 min to the edge of my field, under a big oak. After a few swings I hit a dime. Any direction I went it said it was a dime, strong signal, with a full confidence bar. Depth registered 9. After digging about 9-10

Don't know if that is normal for those little cars, but it is a very good example why one needs to be aware of the fact that the ID system is a machine's best guess, emphasis on "guess". Just for fun, I'd suggest that you run the coil over a dime, then the car and listen closely to the sound, ignoring the id. You might want to do it in relic mode as well. I came to my MXT after using non id machiines and still listen for the quality or variations in the tone of a hit before looking at the id. I have noticed that my MXT is nearly 100% on coin id when it is a coin, it doesn't mistake a coin for trash, but the different trash targets and others that can fool the machine often will read as coins. The more you use the machine, the more you will begin to pick up on very slight, subtle variations in the tone on different targets.
My two bits,
BB

You didn't say where your gain was set. Somewhere in the + gain range you will lose modulation and all signals will sound the same. You also will not hear whispers. You also didn't say what your VDI reading was. It doesn't matter there are all sorts of objects that will give a dime reading. Yesterday I found a 100 peso coin that read a solid dime. You can take a piece of aluminum or foil and cut it or bend it and if you do it enough you can get it to read a perfect dime reading confidence bar and all. The VDI is only a tool to help you decide to dig or not. Foil and slaw can give every reading on the scale. That perfect dime reading could just as well been a silver ring. Rob

Gain was set at default, between 9 &10 and disc was at default, between 3 & 4 when I found the little car. I done an air test on the car and a dime when I got home tonight. My results:

With gain and disc set at defaults-

In the coin & jewelry mode, Car VID = 81, Dime = 78 sound tone was the same

In the relic mode, Car VID = 82, Dime = 78 sound tone was the same

Naturally I had to move the dime closer to the coil to get a reading. I kept the car about 9" away.

I tried it with an ACE 250 and it read dime also.
I have seen the dime reading with a piece of aluminum bent like Rob stated also. Just an interesting observation.

Similar things have happen to me on the beach with coke cans being burried (they also show up as a dime sometimes), i some times switch to relic mode and that dime will show up as a buckle....I wonder if alll thinkgs being equal if a real dime will show up a buckle or something smaller like a button?

Good advise from Bill. Unless you are 100% sure your target is trash, I would dig. Coins can read as something else........something else CAN be coins, jewelry or :shrug:. Lots of interesting stuff buried in the ground.

Aluminum and toy cars can read as coins and frequently will. However the toy car is still a good find. I wish Whites had a way to null out aluminum but they emulate coins and that would cut out finding coins.