Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Susan B Dollar

Pengeboy

Hi all,
I'm fairly new to metal detecting, but just thought I'd post my finding of a 1979 Susan B, for general information.
My setting was Field 1, multi frequency.
Coin came in at a 29, at approx 6-inch depth.

Very nice find

So yesterday (2 days after I found a Susan B dollar), I found a 2000 Sacagawea dollar in the same field. Came in on Field 1 at multi-frequency at a 28 at approx 4-inch depth.

The old school baseball field is where I've practised with the equinox, and so far it's yielded about 75 coins.

I talked to security guards at the old Naval Base here, and they said I was fine to detect where the old barracks used to stand. I was very excited, but after two visits I have found nothing. I know there must be some coins, but the detector just goes haywire as there is so much junk and I can't pinpoint.
As a new detectorist any advice would be appreciated.

Hi welcome at the base are you having EMI problems? lower your sensitivity and noise cancel and increase recovery speed if there's a lot of junk and what I do is slow my swing down and listen for the good signals check them from different a direction circle around the target..
That should help.
Mark

Penegboy, try auto ground balance, lower sensitivity and discriminate out 1 to 11.

Tony NJ

BigTony , wondering where I have seen some here have gotten gold items like necklace come in at 1

Donut, that’s true but his area so far for him is undetectable, so he can always go back once he gets a feel for that site.

Tony NJ

Ok thanks to the both of you , I’m still on a learning curve lol

Hi all,

Thankyou all for all the information. I will do some adjusting on the machine and let you know how I do.

Pengeboy

Well,
I tried different settings at the old barracks and found a couple of clad pennies. Seems there is a lot of shallow foundation remains that are giving off odd signals. Going to take a break from the site for now.
On a high note, I did find my first "real" piece of jewelry at the old baseball field yesterday, a small silver ring.

No idea who lost the zinc pennies.

Is it possible the building material in the foundation could be giving me problems? I get high numbers, dig, and find nothing but foundation at 3 to 4 inches down.

Hi all,

Worked a park for the first time today, that is over 100 years old. Lots of 30+ hits, but at depth. I got a Minelab 35 pinpointer, but due to the depth I can't pinpoint. Don't want to dig big holes in the park, any thoughts?

Pengeboy said:
Don't want to dig big holes in the park, any thoughts?

If you don't, someone else will. Just make sure that you use a ground cloth, dig proper hinged plugs, and fill your holes.

Good luck! :detecting: